Follow
Read More
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
1 2 3 4
RainMom, my niece nurse did say that HEPA vacuum bags provide protection, and that Hoover's Y bag (if I remember correctly) is a good one.   We're still searching for them.   I'll ask her next time we speak which side should be the outward side.   I'm thinking that the dust goes into the bag, where it's kept and prevented from sneaking out, so that the inside of the bag should be on the outside to filter out unwanted substances. 

OTOH, I'm not sure I want to be walking around with a vacuum bag on my head or face.     I might end up being considered a bit unstable and arouse the suspicion of law enforcement.  

I'm getting kind of fed up with the lack of consistency as well.   And another thing that irks me is the constant and repeated "wash your hands!"   How many times does it have to be repeated??   I figure I've heard it about 100 times already.   Tell me something worthwhile, people, not something I already know!

I would NOT use a glue gun on a mask.  

And another thing that bothers me are the YouTube videos:  most of the people I've seen making masks aren't wearing one, so their own "substances" aren't being filtered and could end up on the masks.  I understand they're washed when hospitals get them, but still.....

"I’m guessing what was said was to prevent the toilet paper crowd from making masks unavailable to the front line soldiers in this war."    Laughing till I hurt!

I think we should have a mask fashion show after we get all our designer masks made.
(2)

The other night, when the terror of the situation had me unable
to sleep - like my every night garden variety insomnia wasn’t bad enough - I read a ton of articles and watch numerous videos on how to make masks at home.

There seems to be little consensus on the subject. Fabric that breathes. Fabric that doesn’t breath. Paper. No paper. The only agreed upon material I saw was the shop towels that Freq referenced. But - I’m pretty sure those are now as elusive as toilet paper and Clorox wipes are.
Vacuum cleaner bags with the HEPA feature seem to be good as well - but the tutorials I saw has the bag inside facing - umm - the face. Wouldn’t it make more sense to have the HEPA part facing out?

Anyhoo - there are several things on-line for instructions. Many don’t require any sewing at all.

There was one tutorial where the lady was making liberal use of a glue gun. Okay. I’m not “crafty” - don’t own one. But - beyond that - is it just me - or does it strike anyone else as a bad idea to use glue on anything one intends to secure tightly over the mouth and nose? Unless, you’re a huffer of course.

But, yeah - I’m with you Freq. I thought masks would be a good idea weeks and weeks ago. Their party line of “it stops germs from going out but not from coming in” made absolutely no sense to me. I’m guessing what was said was to prevent the toilet paper crowd from making masks unavailable to the front line soldiers in this war.

Personally - I’m making a no-sew mask with a double layer of cotton AND inserting a square of vacuum bag in between the layers.

Good luck everyone. TAKE CARE!!!
(3)

I agree; should have been masking all along (I have, but not hoarding; had them). 

One thing we can count on whenever 'most' companies make special times,  big announcements to tell us things like: 'The rumors of our going out of business are just false,' it's time to find a job and move our monies before our 401Ks are stripped by the company and layoffs, closings begin.  Same with government and agencies.  When they say: 'Don't worry; and things like you don't need a mask, they won't help You, just healthcare workers;' it's time to worry, and use our own common sense to care for ourselves and each other.

I couldn't thread a needle any more either; I'd be lucky to see the needle, much less the eye. 

I like your Poise pads idea and the anklet sock; looks funny?  Who cares?  Duct tape?  hmmm  How about knit hats with cut outs for eyes like robbers?  Or clear plastic jugs over heads like China? (how did they get those on?) with little pictures drawn on them or This End Up written on it in the back?  A stocking? with dangling empty legs & feet?  A brown paper bag?  A clear dry cleaning bag?  The possibilities seem endless.  This could be our shining moment .... :)  lil
(5)

FF, that's hilarious!

On a serious note, I've read a number of clips on making masks, fabric to use, etc.    Patterns are sometimes included or available for download.

Seems like little groups of seamstresses are sprouting, posting online, creating videos on YouTube, etc.  I've read of people taking them to hospitals or  using them for themselves.

I think it's a wonderful gesture, and reflective of the care people have for others during a time when there's a lot of selfishness and irresponsibility being shown at various levels.   I also am impressed by those who sing or shout out support for medical personnel and first responders.   

BUT:  it depends on whether you're making them for yourself or for medical personnel.  

I'm going to be stylish and make some to match my outfits.   I have dozens of boxes of material in lovely patterns, and it won't take much to make some stylish masks.

However, they're aren't completely virus proof, so I'll need something over them, like a full facial plate.   I have a welding mask someplace, so I'll add that.  

And I might add a bouffant surgical cap as well - may as well be completely outfitted and protected.

With all that, I figure I don't have to worry about someone getting too close; the 3 masks should make me look like a character from a horror movie and they'll just voluntarily stay away b/c they won't be able to figure out if I'm a monster or a human.

Seriously, completely closed fit is an issue, and the pleated masks don't provide that, based on what a nurse told me.   But they're better than nothing.   I've been wearing them since February. 

And don't forget about gloves, especially in stores.   

Be prepared to get tired more easily; your breathing won't be as easy.   
(2)

I saw something somewhere about kitchen paper towel, can't remember how many thicknesses, and surgical tape (the type that only rips half the hairs off your arm) - there's sure to be something on YouTube.
(1)

1 2 3 4
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter