Follow
Read More
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
1 2 3 4
MAYDAY and Llama -

See’s makes all its own candies in factories located in San Francisco and Los Angeles.

Im sure what the problem is - is that the boxed chocolates are hand packed conveyor belt style, with the workers standing practically shoulder to shoulder. The bulk chocolates that are used in the shops to custom pack a box are loaded into shoe box size boxes - from a belt. It’s fast paced and takes a whole lot of employees to stay on top of it. Even those gorgeous chocolate Easter eggs are hand decorated in a shoulder to shoulder environment. Social Distancing in a See’s “kitchen” would be impossible.

Then there are the shops themselves at holiday time. The lines to buy chocolates go out the door and it takes several employees behind that case to keep things moving. Again a Social Distancing nightmare.

I know the shop in Eugene Oregon closed a few weeks ago. The company had the manager donate her inventory to local food banks and homeless shelters. It was well over 600 pounds including all the beautiful and delicious Easter goodies.

See’s is a good company folks can feel good about spending their money with. And the chocolate is the best!
(2)

Want to hear something kind of funny and kind of sad too? We have our fair share of crime here. So, the governor asked us to use masks instead of bandanas so we won’t look like robbers! The burglars use bandanas.
(4)

Well, I just finished more masks. I made pretty paisley ones this evening. I have not used my sewing machine in awhile before making these masks.

I tried a few different styles. Different people like different ones. Some like ties, some like elastic, some like fun colors so I did a bunch. I have been getting thank you texts from my neighbors. My husband put them on porches. Giving more to the grocery store too.

Feels good to know that I can do a little something to help others. I feel like I have been locked up forever but I am following my state’s regulations. I am over 60 with asthma, at higher risk so I am staying home.

My sweet husband is going to the store for us. Our anniversary is this month and I never thought we would be spending it like this.

Oh well, we are together and that is what is most important, right?
(5)

Llama.

I like See’s but Teuscher Chocolate truffles are incredible! Ridiculously expensive but worth every penny!

I bet lots of places with goodies are closed.

My husband made homemade brownies. They aren’t hard to. bonappetit.com cocoa brownies
(2)

Mayday: Wow - See's Candles does not have online ordering at this time. Chocolate lovers may be forced to get a less than perfect chocolate. I am not a chocolate fan, but See's IS the best!
(1)

bookluvr: You're welcome. It does sound logical and I always listen to my RN friend's tips. I mean - who better than a medical professional!

I used to sew all my clothing and homegoods from age 18 through 26.
(1)

small paper plate, cut it in half, poke holes for the rubber bands, maybe some sealer tape for around the edges.. my friend uses a bandana.

It might be fun for kids. I don't know... just trying to stay 6 feet away.

What I'm mostly upset about, my friend says that See's Candies is closed :(
I thought chocolate was an essential.. especially around Easter...
(5)

Llama, I found several of those videos, too. I think I pasted the website links on my notebook. I'm leaning towards that or another one. Yes, I agree, that one with the ties looks actually more secure than the others I've seen. Thanks.
(1)

Worried, when I used to sew in my late teens (with a sewing machine), I bought a very simple one piece dress with back zipper pattern. I used it to make my mom several dresses with the back zipper. Using that same pattern, I altered the original dress style by adding an additional V-neck to the back (instead of a zipper), side slits - on a Hawaiian print material for my teenage sister. Fave sis said so many people complimented on her sexy dress. =)

Anyway, while watching these simple videos last night, I was already in my mind altering this or that. Hence, every videos that I noticed interested me, I copied/pasted it. I have an idea now: Double layered, opening to insert a removable filter (whether it's paper towel, coffee filter, etc...) so that I can still re-wash the mask. I still need to watch more videos to make sure I have everything covered.

Since I only have 2 t-shirts left (gave rest to fave sis), I will need to practice my adjusted 'pattern' - on a pillow case or flat sheet blanket. Once I've perfected it, I will then apply it to the t-shirts.
(1)

My RN friend said when wearing a mask for the Novel Coronavirus to place the mask on your face, covering your nose and put the ties behind each ear and then tie it ontop of your head. (You may have to make the strings longer.) But this allows, supposedly, for a more secure fit.
(2)

Bookluvr, thank you for the suggestion! Yes I can & will go on youTube to look for
those mask tutorials. All I’ve got are a few blue shop paper towels, some old t-shirts and a couple rubber pony tail holders. I have a bag of small safety pins somewhere around here too.

well bless his heart! My husband brought home a half empty box of Kleenex he found when he was packing up his office today! I’ve been out for almost a week and my amazon order won’t be here until Friday. What a sad time this is....where I’m exciting over getting Kleenex!
(2)

NeedwithHome, I was able to order 3 masks online. It's quite expensive but it has adjustable elastics. It's double layered, water resistant inner lining and room for filter if I want to add it in. I'm hoping with the adjustable elastic, that I can release the tension from my ears.

Yes, to avoid lingering.
(1)

WorriedinCal, last night I was searching YouTube for making masks without having to sew and no elastics, scarf or bandanas.  My sister made some masks for me. The elastics were hurting my ears (since it's already hurting from my heavy eye glasses.) I can hand sew and do have sewing supplies... But I wanted to find how to make masks with just the very basic - clothes. I found myself making notes from the different videos.

Are you able to just go to YouTube and search "how to make your own face mask with just t-shirt and no elastic?" I have also learned from reading the people's comments after I've watched the video. Some gave tips on improving or the cons of the video maker's mask. Do you have a 'notepad' in your electronic device? While watching the videos, copy the website link from the top of the website and paste it to your 'notebook'. Write some comments on it. Then re-watch and see if you can take tips from these sites to fit into your situation/limitation. Hope it works!
(1)

So now in some places we are being told how we can and can’t spend our money? I’m curious if that governor isn’t violating any laws with that order?
(1)

Book,

That’s a shame. I guess it is to avoid lingering. Who knows? I suppose amazon is your only bet. Or what about Etsy?
(2)

Our governor has decreed that all non-essentials item can no longer be sold. Stores must now block aisles containing clothes and office supplies....

Well! How is one suppose to make their own masks if you cannot even buy the Tshirts, bandana, scarf or office supplies in the essential store? The office supplies in these stores are like very small to begin with. People won't be able to buy scissors, or rubber bands, etc....

Sigh... I think common sense flew out the window and panic is setting in.
(2)

I still have 2 surgical masks left over from my caregiving days but I don't see any point in being the only one wearing them now. I wish that there was an order in place that everyone wears some kind of face covering in the shops because although I've been under virtual house arrest for weeks (so I KNOW that I'm not an asymptomatic spreader) I sure as heck don't trust what anybody else has been doing😖.
(4)

Taipei -
Ive left the house once in the past 12 days - to get food for my family and me. Just curious - how many times have you been out over the same period of time?

Before going out I watched dozens of videos and read as many articles on how to make a mask and how to grocery shop safely. I even reorganized my shopping list to read by isle in order to zip through as efficiently as possible. I took Clorox wipes, gloves and of course my mask. I made sure I didn’t get within 6’ of any other people.

Trust me - NO ONE is taking this more seriously than I am. My husband has two separate heart conditions and my adult son is severely disabled. Worrying about keeping them safe and healthy - which certainly means keeping myself that way as well - has become a full time job of which I put in hours upon hours of overtime.

I deal with stress through humor. I always have and I always will. I DO NOT need you or anyone else to tell me how to handle my stress in any other way. Just who made you the Stress Seriousness Police anyhow?

Look - I don’t want to get into a pizzing match with you or anyone else here - I really don’t. But you’ve seriously hit a beyond raw nerve with me.

Laugh or don’t laugh. Totally up to you. But DO NOT presume to know just how seriously I’m taking any of this Co-Vid 19 threat. And, do not tell me how to behave or express myself. Seriously - it’s not helpful.
(1)

I am by no means a seamstress, but thought I would try to make some masks on my old sewing machine with my rustic skills. I spent hours making about a dozen (two were unusable) in 4, 5 different designs that I'd found on YouTube. Then boom, yesterday I watched the 46-second long YouTube video of Surgeon General demonstrating how to make a mask using used T-shirt fabrics and 2 rubber bands. I tried his method and boy, not only did it take literally seconds to make, it fits perfectly. In fact, it works better than the ones I'd made with a sewing machine and different fabrics, including quilting fabrics.

I also found that t-shirt, or jersey, is the best material for it. If you cut a bigger piece you can fold it multiple times to enhance its filtering power. You can cut it in any size so any family member, kid or adult, can have one customized to his/her face. Because the material is soft and flexible, you don't need to insert a wire like an N-95. It fits perfectly both on top and bottom so it seals the part of the face it's meant to protect.

I now wear one every time I go to a public place; I live in Northern Virginia and I am seeing more and more people wearing one.

Please watch that video; here is the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PI1GxNjAjlw

I also want to add that this is all new to us and simply treating it like a laughing matter or sharing negative sentiments about it will not help. We have to treat it seriously and be willing to change our behaviors. If spending a few minutes cutting an old t-shirt making a mask and then wearing it can save lives, I would do it!

Although I do not believe I've contracted the virus, I feel by wearing a mask in public shows my support to the public health professionals' endeavor and show my respect to the countless medical personnel for their tireless effort in curbing the pandemic. It also encourages others to wear it. If more and more people do it, then it becomes a norm.

Please consider wearing one!
(3)

I don’t wear a mask & gloves when I go out because I don’t have any—they are impossible to find here. I don’t even own a hanky or bandana! I haven’t seen hand soap, sanitizer, disinfectants, aloe or rubbing alcohol on the shelves since February. Do the hoarders realize that their hoarding is preventing others from protecting them? I make due with the little bath & body works sanitizers I had bought for the kids...it’s all I have.
(1)

I went to the store today and not one person was wearing a mask, there wasn't any more hand sanitizer than usual and it there were no signs directing people to use it. People were also wandering back and forth willy nilly so there was no way to avoid meeting and passing in the aisles. Given that I've had at least half a dozen emails from head office assuring me of all the safety precautions they were taking I was a little taken aback at the half @ssed procedures and the laid back attitude.
(5)

Whatever you do, please wear a mask when you are out of your home. You can easily fold a handkerchief or bandana to size, fold in thirds with rubberbands to go around your ears. You can easily place a blue shop towel in the center to decrease the porosity of your mask. Please disinfect your mask(s) by spraying rubbing alcohol or vodka on them when you come home. Place them in a sunny spot to dry. Please make sure to wash your hands frequently while singing Happy Birthday 2-3 times or Mary had a Little Lamb.

Please post your birthday, so we can celebrate 107!
(2)

Thanks, book. I can do that. There are four sizes, toddler through teen.
(1)

NeedHelp, I’ve been out at the grocery stores and lab work. Out of those, only ONE child wore a homemade mask that fit her perfectly. The other kids and toddler were wearing adult medical masks which were too big on them... I vote Yes for kids masks.
(2)

Question for everyone, please. I found a pattern for children's sizes of the mask too. I don't know if people are taking their kids out or not. I hope most parents are obeying the 'stay at home' regulations in our state.

I am staying at home because I am over 60 and have asthma. My sweet husband is doing our shopping. The last asthma attack that I was hospitalized for was severe so I don't want to risk going out. The last place I want to be is in the hospital for asthma in the midst of all of this. Doctors are saying asthma patients are at higher risk and it is harder for them to fight off the COVID-19.

Our governor has asked everyone for just one person to leave the house at the time, not entire families to go to the store. I suppose that is impossible for single parents to do this.

Anyway...I have only made adult masks to give away. Should I make some in children's sizes? I have cute fabric that kids would like in my scrap pile. I also have my generic fabric, checks, stripes, dots, geometric patterns, etc. That is what I made the adult mask out of.
(4)

Oh Rainmom, I am laughing... WITH you (not at you) & sympathise.

My scarf mask was also a fail on it's trial & today at work I flicked the hand sanitizer into my eye - don't ever do that!
(2)

Geeeez, I can type! Stupid auto correct takes over and then for some odd reason I can't edit it, grrrr. My post about mask should read Whole Foods, not Whole Goods! hahaha
(3)

Rainmom, thank goodness I am not alone with feeling like I am being smothered when wearing a mask..... [sigh].

The masks I made for significant other, he said he is happy with it, and he was glad to have something.

For myself, I have been using the grocery home delivery truck. Finding a time slot is a challenge, now it is every two weeks. I order what I need and then some as I know 25% to 50% will be out of stock. Boy, grocery prices have gone up.
(1)

Rainmom,

The purpose of the mask isn't to protect ourselves. It is to stop us from spreading our germs to others in case we are carriers. There are lots of different styles out there. Experiment with a few.

Tell me about the style that you made. Maybe you just need to adjust something.

Sorry you had a rough day. Hugs!
(0)

Good Lord! I went out to the grocery store today - wearing my home made mask. I consider it an
epic fail.

First - I didn’t think my mask fit close enough at the top so I decided to wear my glasses instead of my contacts - to help anchor it down.

Low and behold - all as this accomplished was fogging up my glasses to the point I couldn’t see. So off came the glasses.

Being legally blind in one eye, I stumbled around the store - hoping that anything I was buying that had a meaningful expiration date gave me at least a few days to use it up.

Next - as I shopped the mask kept riding up and I was terrified that it might have DROPLETS on it and they would touch my eyes. My solution? Yep. Rocket scientist that I am - I kept fussing with it, with my gloved hand.

Throughout all of this is the fact that I have crippling claustrophobia. Now, anyone who really has this phobia - really - knows that, while small places are indeed - a problem, the backbone of this condition is - breathing. Feeing like all the air is being sucked out of whatever small space you are in. Having a multi layered mask covering your mouth and nose - can make you feel like you can’t breath. Soooo - whatever germs I might have transferred to my mask - were now being suck in with great gasps from my open mouth. Yeah... right?

To further the issue - I had determined that since I was risking my life this morning to scourge for food - that I would hit Costco as well as my regular grocery store. Which meant, taking the mask off so I could drive without it in my eyes - aside from the point I couldn’t see squat without my glasses anyhow. And - since I didn’t want to drive when I was nearly hyperventilating, taking the mask off seemed like a good idea.

However - this lead to the whole dilemma over in what order to unglove, unmask, wipe with sanitizer - lather, rinse, repeat.

So here’s hoping that on the off chance I actually touched something with my gloved hand and then transferred it to the outside of my mask - that it didn’t make it up to my eyes AND that roughly four layers of tight woven cotton and a strip of HEPA vacuum bag - was enough to keep the little demons away from entering my mouth. Dispite the Hoover level suction with which I was gasping for air.

From now on Im using grocery delivery. I recommend you do the same, if possible.
(4)

1 2 3 4
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter