Follow

Ok, this is actually a bit of a vent; but there is a question at the end.

I was up til nearly 4 this morning, responding to job ads. The last one is an awesome opportunity to work for a noted medical resource but they want a writing sample. So, I tell myself, I'll tackle that first thing when I get up.

But first thing when I get up is Mom saying she needs to go get labs before an imaging appointment on Sunday (the clinic is that booked!) 'But, you just had labs last week' I say. Turns out the civilian doctor's office didn't send the lab results to the military doctor's team. Long story short, I spend 3 hours emailing, calling, and faxing to get labs from one provider to another. That's 3 hours I could've spent a fraction of researching and writing a sample in the hopes of gaining a writing contract. And trying not to resent the time and focus spent.

Early on in the process, I turned on one of those relaxation videos found on YouTube. It IS hard to stay upset looking at this planet's beauty. (blissful sigh) Does this work for anyone else? Is there a particular style of relaxation vid that works better for you? Right now I'm watching a wintry bubbling brook but don't find it as satisfying as the previous one where the music and beautiful scenery play in an endless loop.

Piano? Guitar? Binaural beats? What helps calm you AND makes you ready to go on to the next thing?

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
I stumbled on this series on Youtube. This woman in China does this great series where she grows stuff on her home farm, including building her own fences. It takes you from planting to preparing a meal. Not much talking, and beautifully shot videos. They make me feel ready for Spring!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_Jx2pB7OZg
(0)

Tek,

Love fantasy and Sci-fi!

Thanks!
(0)

Yes, I am on YouTube all the time and have downloaded a lot of them to turn on while I sleep (currently listening to 'pink noise'.. yes, there are different 'colors' of noises other than white!).

I also like many of the Skyrim soundtracks/videos.

There is a channel called Ambient Worlds that is very good, too, lots of sci-fi and fantasy.
(1)

Music, music, music. I did some reading about music therapy and fibromyalgia pain and there is evidence that it helps. I listened to a couple of my playlists on Youtube for most of the day the other day and slept better and felt almost normal the next day, Listened for hours last night, read till midnight and slept right through, Before that I had a couple of days of serious brain fog which is no fun. Hoping listening to music will off set those and the physical stuff. It calms the body and the mind.
(4)

I may put on nature videos with or without music to go with the water or bird sounds. It may background ambience while I'm doing something else. If you're watching it try finding Movie Squirrels. Nordic folks have designed special feeders that attract squirrels and birds. Also, I have pet birds that will respond to the "company" of wild bird songs on the various nature videos. I'll often let one of those play to entertain them if I have to go out of the house.
(2)

I love ASMR videos (the weird brain tingles thing). I know it’s freaky to people who don’t get it but it relaxes me and also seems to help nip headaches in the bud somehow.
(1)

Absolutely! Music and art. I frequently listen to my favorite music.

With Covid we can virtually tour excellent art museums!

Yes, take advantage of any of these.

I also watch cooking videos, sewing videos or anything else that I feel like viewing.

Glad you are enjoying nature scenes.

I adore nature and it is a joy to watch.

Even better is to be a part of nature when possible.
(0)

At night, I listen to guided meditations to get to sleep. Otherwise my brain will not turn off and let me relax.
During the day, I've been watching how-to dance videos and taking zoom folk dance lessons. I have to concentrate on what I am physically doing and it helps me work off some tension. The lively music cheers me up, too.
When I'm stressed I don't really want to do these things, but I always end up feeling better once I get going.
(1)

I have YouTube videos of bands/singers that help me get through my day; however at night I like listening to the sound of rain or a good thunderstorm on YouTube.
(2)

I've watched tranquility videos. They don't put me to sleep but they help put me into a better mind space.

The nature ones especially.
(4)

Dear "ravensdottir,"

Yes, I love to watch various YouTube videos to help me relax. I love "Tim Janis" who has beautiful instrumental music set to scenery and animals - he has hymns and other types, "Soothing Relaxation" with piano, guitar also set to scenery, I love watching ones with rain - preferably a softer sound as there are many and I do like ones with bubbling brooks, creeks and thunderstorms. Over the holidays, I watched the Christmas ones with wintry scenes, cabins and fireplaces to instrumental Christmas music.

I'm a nature lover in and of itself as well as a music lover, so to have the two combined is wonderful. My husband uses it on his smartphone to help him sleep and relieve some of his anxiety.

There really are a lot of these types of videos out there - I just named a couple of them. Everyone has their own preference and as to what works or doesn't work for them.

Wishing you much peace!
(1)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter