Follow

About a year ago, Mom went to Ann's Bra Shop to be fitted for bras. After about a month or two, she said they didn't fit right. Then she went back to Ann's with my sister and was fitted again. Months later, same complaint...they don't fit right. So, we decided to go to JC Penney's and try there. She tried on at least 30 bras (I'm NOT exaggerating)! Finally found one that fit and seemed happy with it. You guessed it, not long after, she told me that it didn't fit right. So, off to Kohl's we went. She tried on 32 bras (count em...32!). She finally found one that she liked...whew! Here we go again....the bra is irritating her skin. I can't find anything besides fabric in the spot that she's pointing to. I'm not seeing an irritation, what I am seeing is marks from her scratching, which magically seem to disappear after a little while. No seams on her bra in the spot she's pointing to...nothing that feels like it might be poking her. HELP! I just don't know what to do to make her happy and find a bra that she's happy with. Maybe she just needs something to gripe about and wants the attention. ANY suggestions that you can give me to make her happy are greatly appreciated. I'm at a loss of where to go and how to deal with this.

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Maybe something as simple as changing the detergent and fabric softener she is using. I know for myself, I have to use the sensitive skin liquid detergent [white bottles], and the fragrant free softener sheets [white boxes]. And no bleach.

How about the tag on the bra?.... tags anywhere on clothing can makes one uncomfortable. And just one stray hair that has found its way into my clothing becomes annoying, some people can be very sensitive to things like that.

Good luck :)
(6)

No tags! She uses Woolite and no fabric softener. Good suggestion. Maybe it's time to try new detergent. I'll try anything at this point. Thanks for the suggestion!
(0)

Get her a camisole and forget the bra. No patients at my mother's NH wear bras.
(5)

Some of the problem is the new water-conserving washing machines. They neither clean nor rinse properly. So you run things through twice.
(4)

Does she really need to wear a bra at all?
(2)

Roxanne, you have my sympathy. I can't imagine sitting there while someone goes through that many changes of bras. You must have the patience of 20 people. :)
(4)

I had gone through this with my mother - every bra she tried on was never comfortable. She would complain about the discomfort and ended up not wearing a bra. So when I bought her tops; I found those that would be most flattering. I think a camisole as mentioned about might be a good idea. Hope you find something that works. Take care
(1)

She would not go without a bra, so unfortunately, that wouldn't work....gosh, how I wish she would. I asked her this morning to show me where it's rubbing, and she pointed to a spot on her back that is a good inch above her bra!

Thank you so much for all of your support (no pun intended!). I am beginning to think that this is more about wanting "new things", which her budget just doesn't allow.
(4)

Roxanne all youve done is made me feel guilty i just couldnt have that kinda patience yes ditch the bra and get her a camisole lifes too short!
(0)

Could it be her skin is dry, and the bras chafe. Maybe taking a vitamin E capsule would help. Also a non greasy lotion containing aloe and vitamin E worked for my Dad.
(2)

Going to get my mum a big boiler suit and a bib thats all they need really! Oh and the boiler suit with the a** you can open it quickly and change her depends!!
(4)

lol My Dad doesn't wear bras, but we went through the same thing with socks.
(2)

Oh the phantom itch. Mom had that like crazy. She would scratch herself to point of having open sores. Turns out she needed a higher dose of anti-anxiety meds, but skin-picking is not what you are likely dealing with.

I vote for dry skin and maybe a new detergent sensitivity.
Try using the oatmeal body washes and oatmeal lotions too.

I'm going to guess that a boiler suit is what we would call "footy pajamas" here. The adult version of that is called a "Forever Lazy". You can google it.
(0)

:a good moisturizing lotion and or some powder under her breasts and around the back. This time of year, we sweat and that can cause irritation and discomfort. Good luck.
(0)

A few drops of tea tree oil in water before she washes it kills all fungus and bacteria should take care of the itch!
(0)

I vote for washing issues. Try washing a few bras out by hand and see if they still bother her.

Nurses at the facility my mother was in also suggested we use cornstarch instead of deodorant for underarms as well as under breasts to prevent chafing. It doesn't have all the chemicals deodorants have.
(1)

Roxanne627, wonder if it is something else and not the bra. Does she wear tops that have a zipper in the back? My Mom wears a lot of those type of tops.

Kathy11 has a good idea. Any time back gets itchy in one place, usually at the neck because of the tags [I usually cut them out], a good lotion works great :)
(0)

We do wash her bras by hand...she had the same complaint when we were using the washing machine. We're using Woolite, which is a pretty mild/hand wash detergent. We also use this for her support stockings and she has no complaints there.

@ freqflyer - no zippers on her shirts or tags that are in the area she's complaining about. We've been applying hydrocortisone to the area as well. I've "inspected" the area, and there is no redness, dryness, or rash. The mystery of the phantom itch continues!
(0)

First make sure it isn't something medical, have her checked by a dermatologist, has she had a mammogram, otherwise tell her she is a free woman and burn the bra and how much money she will save not buying them. Also , she gets a lot of your time trying on 30 bras!
(1)

Sometimes one never really knows. Try eliminating all possible causes as suggested by other posters. Then, just refuse to take her and wear no bra. Use powder which helps with moisture.
My own mom has stated she likes something and then will turn around and kvetch about it.
Some of the problems are things we have no control. Underwear is made by different companies each time I buy them so there is quite a variety. However mom had the notion that it should be exactly the same each time she buys a pair. Ain't gonna happen. So I refused to get into the rut of rummaging through countless underwear and the endless cycle of buy/return buy/return.

two cents ¢¢

two cents ¢¢
(1)

I don't think the itching has anything to do with the bras, detergent, or anything going with the outside of her skin. This may be a sign of liver disease or other health problems going on inside. Get her to the doctor for internal issues, not a dermatologist. I had a problem itching in one spot on my back and didn't even realize I was about to scratch through some blouses. Guess what, problem was on the inside not the outside.
(1)

I agree , always rule out anything medical. However, if it were liver related I would expect to see skin color change, yellowish perhaps.
(1)

twocents, oh my gosh, my Mom is the same way about clothing. She can't understand why she can't buy a certain item today that she had bought 10 years ago.

There are undies that we both like and it was a couple years ago that we actually found them at a store. Recently I found the identical product on a website.... YES, everything is right with the world.... at this moment :)
(0)

The itching due to liver issues doesn't mean you are also turning yellow.
(0)

sports bra. tank shirt then a top over that? Nothing too binding. How about a bathing suit bikini top? sting halter top, or halter bra? around the waist and around the neck.

Try Big 5 or a sporting goods store, golf shop, tennis shop...yoga shop, then take to yogurt treat. Or try an ace bandage around her girls, or a tube top.
(0)

H&M has these tank tops with built in support, and I'm sure a lot of places offer these things.
(0)

Just occurred to me - maybe she has an allergy to some material in the bra, the elastic possibly?
(2)

She's on to something new! The bra seems to be okay all of a sudden. Now she NEEDS, HAS TO HAVE new shoes. I guess we're going to go through any item she can think of!

She's become somewhat obsessive. First it was her nails...she filed them constantly. Then she obsessed over her hair loss. Next, she was on to she needed new rubber gloves for the kitchen. The bras came next, now it's new shoes.

I have to keep reminding myself to be patient. :)
(0)

Have her evaluated for obsessive-compulsive disorder.
(0)

Maybe she's got the beginning of a skin irritation from sweat and friction from the bra rubbing. Try washing the area more frequently and putting an antifungal powder under her breasts or wherever she says it's rubbing/itching.
(0)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter