Follow

When we get old there is no way out of the old people health problems, but the only way is to turn to God and let go. We all need to know that we cant do things on our own without the help of God. Just be strong and know you are not alone cause God is always there for you...

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
When I am an old woman I shall wear purple
With a red hat which doesn’t go, and doesn’t suit me.
And I shall spend my pension on brandy and summer gloves
And satin sandals, and say we’ve no money for butter.
I shall sit down on the pavement when I’m tired
And gobble up samples in shops and press alarm bells
And run my stick along the public railings
And make up for the sobriety of my youth.
I shall go out in my slippers in the rain
And pick the flowers in other people’s gardens
And learn to spit.You can wear terrible shirts and grow more fat
And eat three pounds of sausages at a go
Or only bread and pickle for a week
And hoard pens and pencils and beermats and things in boxes.
But now we must have clothes that keep us dry
And pay our rent and not swear in the street
And set a good example for the children.
We must have friends to dinner and read the papers.
But maybe I ought to practise a little now?
So people who know me are not too shocked and surprised
When suddenly I am old, and start to wear purple.

😉😉
(5)

I agree with Loopy Loo. JMO but I don’t come to AC for preaching, Bible studies or political commentary.
(3)

Loopyloo, every response on this entire forum is based on opinions and subjective experience. The OP is giving theirs. For some people of faith, operating outside of or without the providence of God (atheism, secularism) is not a neutral spiritual stance. It is still a spiritual belief -- just a different one. On the posts I have visited, I can't say that I've seen "people of faith" scolding people for their non-belief. Maybe look at it from that angle. The OP even set up their own post about it, and didn't insert it into another's thread. What's wrong with that? Nothing.

Also, you accused the OP of "preaching" (on their own post). You couched preaching in a negative way. I guess Jesus was awfully preachy because He pretty much said the same thing in scripture that the OP posted.
(1)

Imho, you must safely do ALL you can. Once it is not safe physically, emotionally, or financially for you, your family, or your LO, then you make the right decision, and THEN leave the rest in God's hands. That's why you are given intelligence and abilities, Including the ability to recognize the situation and ask for help.
(1)

I agree with LoopyLoo's statement. I believe in God and always pray for guidance & help, etc. However, God does not prevent humans from dying or getting sick or having mobility issues, paying bills, going to the hospital, having surgeries, or whatever illness is going to strike us. We all need to recognize THAT fact, and also that we're going to need financial support and support from professionals or loved ones to physically help us when the time comes that we can no longer lift things or get around the way we once did. "Just" praying is not enough. Prayer has to come along with action.

You say, "It’s like when someone has clinical depression and they’re told to cheer up, go look at pretty flowers and think happy thoughts. It doesn’t help and it trivializes a person’s struggle." This is SO TRUE! My half sister has a way of trivializing everything my DH & I are going through by saying "God will take care of it" as if to say "just sit there and do nothing and God will handle it all" which is NOT TRUE at all. We all have MUCH WORK to do ourselves in planning, and going to the doctor, and taking meds, and following instructions and after care plans, etc, FIRST, and THEN we leave the rest in God's hands. That's how I look at the whole life picture personally; that we have a big part to play in our own health and we ask for God's help in taking an active role in our health care.

Which reaffirms NGE's great quote, "God is on the side with the best artillery" - Napoleon Bonaparte

And it's not just 'old people' that have health problems! It's young, old, middle age, and everyone in between, too.
(4)

Geaton, the OP said the ONLY way is to turn to God. That is not a mere suggestion. I have no idea how my reply was ‘shaming’ anyone. You could have taken your own advice and ignored it and moved along.
(3)

LoopyLoo, suggesting to people who are suffering to seek God is as legitimate as any other advice on this forum. If you don't like it, you don't have to do it or read it or recommend it. Just walk past it and let others who may benefit read it -- without shaming. IMO (and in my own personal experience) it's the most profound guidance anyone can give.
(1)

"God is on the side with the best artillery" - Napoleon Bonaparte

I'm all about putting your faith in God, but at the same time you have been given the gift of the ability to prepare for things that happen to you in life. Hopefully old age will be one of those things, and I would rather have God's help AND a healthy portfolio to help offset any costs. God has a lot to handle, any help I can give by being prepared will benefit both of us.
(7)

I agree with you.

However… This isn’t a place to preach. People on here are suffering. Their loved ones are suffering. So when someone advises to ‘just turn to God!’ it comes across as trite and tone-deaf.

It’s like when someone has clinical depression and they’re told to cheer up, go look at pretty flowers and think happy thoughts. It doesn’t help and it trivializes a person’s struggle.
(11)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter