Follow
Read More
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
1 2 3 4 5
Carla,

My daughter’s dog used to do very well in the car. He would sleep in the backseat. Once in awhile he would crawl up to the front and sit in the passenger seat. Now he started trying to sit in my lap while I am driving and keeps slapping me with his paw for me to pet him.

He’s nine years old and is a poodle. I sit with him when my daughter needs me to.

How is your dog in the car?
(1)

Anonymous,

So sweet! There was a woman that was featured on a news show who was doing that. She painted tons of rocks to share.

I think DollarTree sells rocks. Smart to make them. How do you do that?
(1)

Usedup,

So cute! So how do you cut the pieces of tulle? Do you sew each bag or cut in a no sew shape?
(0)

Garden artist: I paint them, but I also stamp designs on them, along with putting quotes on them. I make rocks of my own out of quick dry cement, I also use flat as a pancake rocks (They come from floor tiles for backsplashes, etc). I use arcylic paint on them and seal them afterwards with boat sealer. I hide them outside in places that people are most likely to find them (parks, outside of restaurants and shopping malls, etc.) We call them kindness rocks here. Perhaps you have heard of the kindness rocks movement?
(1)

More of a craft activity - making Halloween treat bags for Trick or Treat. Making them out of black tulle with bright orange ribbons and a witch charm.
(1)

GA, Use room temperature water. The oils come from the pharmacy or from a candy supply store. They are more potent. Dried spices don’t have enough scent.

when we get home from NC in the summer put them in the oven to kill bugs.

We make some every year. My sister throws a couple in the fireplace or wood stove. Makes the house smell nice. Sometimes we make a batch with just the cinnamon oil and spray paint them silver or gold. I usually put out a basket in every room for the scent.
(1)

UsedupDIL, I'm intrigued.    I wash my cones and set them in the oven for a short while to take care of any unwanted insects, and allow them to open just slightly.    And I've painted the tips to match ribbons on trees or wreaths.

I was especially fond of a Victorian set of decorations, with pink and white satin ribbons with crocheted edges, and cones decorated with pink and white tips.  It was a contrast of inferred luxury with the very basics of naturals.  

But I've never heard of dying and scenting them.  I MUST try that!

I'm assuming you don't use either cold or hot water, just perhaps warm water?   I know that hot water can cause them to open, more than I'd want them to.

Do you use ordinary cinnamon oil, say from a grocery store, or do you use one specifically from an herbal supplier?  Same question with cloves.    Have you ever used the dried forms, then shaken off the spices after drying?   Or rolled the cones in spices w/o soaking? 

I have Colorado Blue Spruce cones collected before my tree began to die, and I have a lot of others collected over the years.   Grapevines are probably ready to harvest, and I plan to make a lot of wreaths this year.  I'd love to make  scented ones as you describe.
(1)

It’s fun to use found objects in art projects. Great way to recycle.
(1)

Usedup, fantastic idea! I love that. I love cinnamon.
(0)

GA,

Songs as a kid, Red Rover. Red Rover was fun to play.

Jump rope, there was a song that we spelled out Mississippi. Another one was, I like coffee, I like tea, I want (kid’s name) to jump in with me. We had a bunch of songs to jump to. We also did double Dutch jump roping.

GA,

How much did popsicles cost in your neighborhood? Here they were 7 cents. I got 25 cents a week for my allowance after my chores were all done. So, I could buy one a week. I saved the rest of my money.

Now my dog got a vanilla ice cream cup for free! The ice cream man loved our dog and gave him one every week. Sweetheart of a guy.

You asked about dances. The dances during our days were so funny. The jerk, the monkey, hahaha
(0)

My sister and I gathered two bushels of large pine cones on a summer trip to NC. Today we put them a wash tub with water, red dye, three bottles of cinnamon oil, one bottle of clove oil. We’ll leave it overnight. Tomorrow we’ll lay them out to dry. They’ll be a pretty deep red and will smell great over the holidays.
(2)

GA,

I loved Cat’s cradle! I loved shooting marbles too. Enjoyed my etch a sketch and Spirograph! I was good at spinning wooden tops, really good but not good at yo yo’s. I remember childhood skates. I’m telling you that I was an absolutely horrible skater! My friends could skate. I was so jealous.

Oh and don’t get me started on bowling! I threw a gutter ball in the neighbors alley! Hahaha. I was a teenager. It was a date with someone and he never asked me to go bowling again, thank God! Hahaha

Oh, the serious middle aged man bowler gave me a dirty look and got mad. He had a tournament coming up that he was practicing for. I ruined his concentration! Who wants to see a ball being thrown in your gutter from the alley next to you? Poor guy, of course I apologized to him.

As a teen I went through my ‘hippie chick’ days. I would tie die t shirts or batik fabric. I would take a big scarf and sew it into a halter top! I would rip the seams in my jeans and insert floral fabric. Yep, I was the ‘flower child.’ I would make necklaces out of acorns by stringing them together! Was hard getting the needle through but I was determined and did it! I made necklaces out of clovers as a little girl by stringing the stems together.

GA, you just made me smile so big with your post. Thanks!

My grandfather loved to waltz! My grandma was the rebel who liked the early jazz! I love any type of music as long as it’s good. I live in New Orleans and we have great music! Our jazz and heritage festival is top notch but year round you can find fantastic live music here any night of the week from nice venues down to funky neighborhood dive bars.

GA,

My music teacher was so incredible. I sang in the school chorus. This nun was a phenomenal pianist. I swear I never saw her without a smile on her face. She lived to teach us to sing! She had us doing the most amazing harmonies. It was so much fun. We learned so much music, all types, from musicals, patriotic tunes to hymns.

I kept in touch with the nuns long after I graduated. I would attend their St. Joseph’s Day alter. The alters are so beautiful with beautifully homemade dishes and bread. Donations are given to the poor. I love St. Joseph alters. St. Joseph isn’t mentioned very much in the Bible but he was a special man. Wonderful husband to Mary and lovely father to Jesus. A carpenter like my grandpa. A hard worker. He is patron saint for workers.

The nuns run a program here where they teach all kinds of crafts to those who want to learn. Painting, quilting, weaving, etc. It’s a great opportunity for the community and the money earned goes to good uses. I love it! They don’t just ask for people to write a check to them like television preachers do!

Those nuns work hard. They were teachers, worked in hospitals and nursing homes. I received a good education from them but I respect them as viable people in our community.
(2)

Anonymous 1256, what kinds of pictures do you paint on rocks?   Flat rocks?  Rounded rocks?    What kinds of paint do you use and do you display them in, say, terrariums?

NeedHelp, remember those old roller skates that were tightened with screws, and that sometimes came loose and fell off?  And then tripping and falling on the sidewalk?  

My father macramed when they were Winter Texans; he left some beautiful macramed lawn chairs that I'm saving for posterity.

AnnReid, Jmcleod, MidKid58, what kind of music do you like? What soothes you, and what inspires you to get up and dance? 

Music is truly a transcendental experience.    Does anyone watch the Strauss waltz performances from Vienna on New Years Eve?

Has anyone sung in a choir?  I think one of the best times in my life was when I was actually accepted into a university choir.   All the performances we gave were special, but singing the Hallelujah Chorus as an encore one Christmas was one of the most powerful experiences I've ever had.   

We hadn't even rehearsed it, and it was never discussed as a potential encore, but we all just fell into the performance so easily.   It was incredible, absolutely incredible.

And on the subject of powerful music, has anyone ever watched the PBS Classical Rewind?  Familiar with Carmina Burana?  It's another incredibly powerful composition. 

Dance - we haven't discussed that.  Surely there must be someone here with tap or ballet experience?   Or Flamenco?  That's been one of my lifelong desires, to learn Flamenco.

(If I've missed any comments, it's because I'm off on a tangent; I'm not deliberately ignoring anyone's posts!)

(1)

NeedHelp, well, now you've done it!  I'm completely back in my childhood days, using big fat chalk sticks to mark out a hopscotch diagram on the sidewalk.

I may still have a jump rope someplace, probably with the exercise equipment that's around here someplace.   Maybe I'll go out and jump rope in front of the house and freak out the neighbors.

Anyone remember the songs?   All I remember is "Mabel, Mabel, set the table; don't forget the red hot pepper."

Just did a quick check and found there are other versions of this:
"Mabel, Mabel, young and able;   Get your elbows off the table.      This is not a horse's stable."

Marbles?  I have a collection with some lovely specimens.  Steelies, something like that?  Anyone remember those?   Cats' eyes?    I have a lovely marble and rock collection that I began after taking geology and becoming fascinated with rocks, especially those with quartz in them. 

Marbles aren't naturally made, but they are lovely, and soothing.    I find that just looking at their lovely colors reduces stress. 

Anyone else a geology student?   Do you collect fossils?  I have a magnificent brachiopod I discovered, right next to my house when creating my rose garden. 

I often wonder how and when it was fossilized, and if it was brought down in the last glacial period.  Imagine the journeys it must have taken, even if it was fossilized and unware of its travels.  

Does anyone remember how to play cat's cradle?   I remember holding strings between both hands, and wrapping them in a specific pattern.       I found these instructions, but I don't recall it being that complicated:

http://www.ifyoulovetoread.com/book/chten_cats1105.htm

Those were the good old days....playing outside, no cares in the world, then getting money from Mom for popsicles on hot days.
(0)

Painting rocks, lots of arts and crafts. I always look forward to a day off to do those things.
(1)

Hey, is it all women on this thread? Does anyone Golf? Oh my gosh, I tried it with my husband a few times. I hate it! I stink at it but I have absolutely no desire to learn.

I am not part of the tennis crowd either. I used to cycle before an accident. Have steel rods on both bones in my arm. Open compound fracture. Orthopedic doc does not want me cycling because it was a difficult surgery and if I injure it again he can’t fix it. Debris was in the street that I didn’t see and I hit the pavement hard.

I do an exercise bike now. I like to walk. I used to skateboard as a kid. I was really good at jump rope, Jax and hopscotch. I was the mom who played with my kids. I loved jumping rope with them and doing hopscotch too. I was horrible on roller skates. Oh my gosh, tried ice skating on vacation once and nearly killed myself! Love swimming! Like playing cards but not with hubby. He cheats! Not on purpose. He just makes up new rules! Hahaha.
(1)

I used to macrame years ago. I enjoyed it. Yeah, my friend does beautiful pottery. She sells it. She had a studio set up to work in. She’s so talented. She makes all sorts of things.
(1)

If you have a passion for an art, FREE IT! Don’t just sit by and experience as an observer or listener, DO IT!

I’ve been taking lessons on euphonium (small tenor tuba) for almost 7 months. I am ASTOUNDED at how far I’ve gotten, and how much joy this experience has given me.

When I’m at my lesson or band practice, NOTHING enters my mind but what I have to do to make beautiful sounds.

Throw a pot, throw a javelin, sew a skirt, macrame a pot holder, sing in a choir, give it your whole heart and discover how it can fill the places that are empty. YOU DESERVE IT!
(3)

Music and needlework - double the relaxation.   Two soothing activities are better than one!
(2)

Of course while I am cc stitching I am listening to music!!
(2)

jmcleod,

Ahhhhh, a woman after my own heart! I love music. It’s therapeutic, isn’t it?

Music saved me as a kid. It still centers me.
(2)

I listen to music.
(1)

Kbuser,

Those lanterns sound so wonderful!
(0)

Mid, my MIL sewed, crocheted knitted and gardening. Like you she did exquisite cross stitch projects. I absolutely love everything she made. I have it proudly hanging throughout my house. One of my favorites though are the gorgeous Christmas stockings that she did in cross stitch, absolutely beautiful!
(0)

Gardening is my true love--but cancer got me back in May and I was not allowed to dig or weed or mow the lawn----broke my heart! DH would sort of mow, but hates it, so he'd never trim or blow the grass clippings--nor weed. My veggie garden was put in the DAY before my cancer dx and I was not allowed to do ANYTHING with it.

I went back to counted cross stitch, which I did for years as DH is addicted to TV and if I wanted to even see him, I had to have something to DO while he flipped channels.

I make 5 really intricate and beautiful CC stitch pictures for my kids for Christmas. It eats up the time-I can sew for hours and not be aware of the time passing.

My kids won't 'like' what I have made them, it's not their taste, but hey, I am going to just ask for them back of they truly don't want them.

Also started quilting and making soft stuffed animals. And the usual crafty stuff that is just seasonal. I try to get the g-kids who are interested in crafting to do stuff with me.

And then there's sewing jammies and dresses for the kids who will wear home sewing, mostly the under 10's are the only ones who will.

I used to craft a LOT to deal with anxiety and I am enjoying the things I have made so far.

Christmas tree this year will have little sheep on it with a hemp ribbon that has stenciled on it "FLEECE NAVIDAD" and then about 20 small sheep with bells and black & white checked ribbon. Red balls and bells. I may as well say it--they're adorable and have lifted my spirits a TON. (Cancer sucks).

Funny thing, I cannnot knit nor crochet. My poor grandmas--I really tried. Just..can't.
(4)

GardenArtist The lanterns I made out of 2" dowels from Home Depot, I am sure you can use any kind of wood. I actually was watching Home and Family on Hallmark channel when they did a DIY of them. Here's the link: https://www.hallmarkchannel.com/home-and-family/how-to/diy-outdoor-lanterns
I bought some 7x7 craft plaques, used wood glue and hot glue to put the dowels on all four corners, then put a craft plaque on the top as well. I cut little wedges for between the dowels and put a candle in the middle. (there are step by step instructions on the website). You could definitely use wood around your yard, it would make it unique. I bought outdoor battery operated timer candles from Amazon for $7 a piece. You do need to weather protect the lantern, I sprayed some protectant on mine and they've been good all summer.It was such a fun project I'm making more to give as Christmas presents :)
(2)

Riding around the neighborhood in my golf cart with my dog riding shotgun.
(7)

Sounds good, Dolly? Red, white or both? Hahaha
(1)

I drink wine and grow orchids. Works for me!
(5)

I bought #2 yellow pine because I am going to paint it. There is better wood but don’t need it for the project that I am doing.

Kind of sad that you couldn’t save all of your wood. Good lumber is expensive! Nice that you were able to have some though.

I etch chemically. Super easy!

I do beading now but want to do more with metals.

Maison Blanche is closed! They closed years ago. Was a nice store. When I was a child they always had beautiful Christmas displays!

Southern Candy on Decatur St. is a fantastic candy company. The very best pralines!
(0)

1 2 3 4 5
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter