Follow
Read More
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
1 2 3 4 5
NHWM, I did make candles several decades ago.   At that time, "hippie culture" prevailed and there was a section of shops near downtown Detroit that focused on providing crafters with supplies. 

I bought a huge slab of wax, something like a 10# slab, then cut it up to make candles.    I don't remember what kind of molds I used, but I have vague memories of carefully melting wax and equally carefully pouring it into molds.

I don't recall what I used to color the candles, crayons, perhaps.   I may have added things like small pine cones (from my Colorado Blue Spruce), or small sprays I bought from a large discount craft warehouse I discovered.

That was such a long time ago....it's really hard to remember anything more about making candles, other than the professional practices I've seen displayed, such as at Greenfield Village.

Molding reminds me that I also used plastic molds to make designer candies.   When Mom stayed with me one winter while Dad became a Winter Texan, we made enough candy to send to Texas for Dad to eat and share with friends.    I had regular chocolate as well as colored candies, so we made flowers, Christmas decorations, and more...all edible. 

Hershey's was sold in a giant slab, probably 12" long, and so thick I had to use an icepick to break it up.   Or I bought Merton's button chocolates to melt down.    Colored chocolate was a bit harder to melt.   The biggest difficulty was the temptation to sample everything!

We sent them in a Russell Stover covered candy box, with designs I made from rubber stamps and which we colored.   We created a scene with a camper trailer in a desert area, just perfect for their area of Texas.

I probably still have those candy box covers somewhere; they had a lot of memories attached to them after Dad brought them back, empty.
(0)

Has anyone tried candle making? I have always wanted to try it. I think I would use mason jars for this project.
(0)

Wow, all this creativity. The most creative thing I've done recently is try to figure how to fit as many outfits as I can into a 2-foot closet at the memory care home. I'm still trying to figure out how my mother will get the thing open. The hobby that helps me keep sane is reading fiction. Jumping into someone else's life, solving a mystery, having a romance, soothes my mind and soul.
(1)

Becky,

Okay, so you really do old fashioned quilting! My daddy told me his mom did the quilting with the church ladies. He grew up in a rural part of Florida. They attended the Assembly of God Church. He met a Catholic man in the service who invited him to mass. They became best friends.

Then daddy by chance met my mom in New Orleans which is predominantly Catholic. I think God matched them up. They were married well over 50 years. He converted to Catholicism while dating my mom.

My daddy said the ladies from his childhood church were called a quilting bee or something like that. Is that correct? You know quilting history.

Yeah, their quilts are gorgeous and so well made. The old original ones are worth quite a bit of money, aren’t they? Just like the early cross stitch samplers. Just fantastic, aren’t they?

Wow! I bet you cherish your collection. You should. It’s very special. I love your passion for quilting. You should show your work at the local library. Our library does beautiful displays with historical objects. Or the chamber of commerce too. They both do it.

Or you could be a guest on the PBS shows that feature quilts. Oh, you must ask Garden Artist about this documentary on hand crafted items that she told me about. You could be the main feature! Plus, you could do Antiques Road Show. That is fun! We did it when it came to New Orleans. My husband was one of the invited guests with his vintage guitar. It was valued at about $10,000. Most of the appraisers are shop owners. This guy was a musician and shop owner.

I loved hearing about your quilting! Please keep us informed on any new projects. Do you do any smaller pieces like a wall hanging, purses, etc?
(0)

Isthisreallyreal,

I started etching because a friend of mine was helping her daughter with her wedding. She needed bridesmaids gifts. She didn’t want jewelry like many people give as bridesmaids gifts. She asked me to do etched wine glasses. She wanted a fleur de lis symbol on them.

I made a flexible stencil so it could fit the curve of the glass out of adhesive backed vinyl. Then applied it to the glass and chemically etched. No etching tool required. They sell the chemicals at Michael’s or Hobby Lobby. Then I lightly dabbed the chemical with a q-tip. It doesn’t take much.

Did you say there is a faint design left? You wouldn’t need a stencil then. You already have an outline. Just be very careful at the edge of the design.

For a new piece of glass which is flat. You would not have to make your own out of flexible vinyl. There are plenty that are ready made. If you do this though, please buy the spray adhesive to attach it. It is nearly impossible to hold it in place without it moving if it isn’t stuck on the surface really well. The chemical solution or paint, if using paint will leak underneath and you won’t have a clear or clean edged design.

Your project sounds great! All of the projects sound great.

I adore unique pieces made from found objects. There is something so special about them. They can also be sentimental because of salvaging something with precious memories.

Hahaha, love calling crocheting hooking! So cute! My mom, grandma and aunts all crocheted beautifully. My MIL too. Knitting too. Embroidery also. Any needle work.

The french quarter here is one of the oldest settlements. At that time there were fine boutiques that sold beautiful hand made merchandise.

My grandfather’s family moved to New Orleans from Birmingham, England.

My great aunts made gorgeous baby clothes with smocking or tatting, lovely adorned christening gowns or lovely nightgowns for the aristocratic uptown ladies. My great aunts sold these to the shop owners. They also crocheted fancy doilies, table cloths, bedspreads, edging on pillowcases. The shops resold them to the wealthy aristocratic residents.

Their items were so pretty. Let’s hope these activities don’t become lost works of art and replaced with items made in China!

One of my great aunts lived to be 98. She walked everywhere! She still volunteered at church. She was something else. I remember her well. She baked fruitcake every year during the holidays to which she spiked with quite a lot of rum! Hahaha.

She didn’t have children of her own. I guess you could call her a rebel of sorts. She was a devout Catholic but fell in love with an Episcopalian. She loved him and married him. Catholic ladies did not do that sort of thing then.

Wait, it gets more shocking for that day. He had been married before and had a son. She married a widower man of a different faith with a child. That was scandalous in her day. I always loved her for following her heart!

The church was very strict then. If a Catholic married a non Catholic they were not allowed to stand at the alter. They had to stand outside of the alter to marry. Now they allow it. So cruel back then. Sad.

Her sister was referred to as ‘the old maid’ or spinster because she did not marry. Isn’t that an ugly expression? Was a common expression then. She had been engaged but her fiancé was killed in the war. He was her true love.

One of the brothers changed his name so he wouldn’t disgrace the family. He was involved in the illegal bootlegging of booze back then! Another brother was a bookie at the racetrack. Our racetrack is one of the oldest in the country, The Fairgrounds. My grandpa knew the owners and horse trainers so I got to ride on the race horses when I was a little girl.

Oh my gosh, all families have interesting stories or should I say skeletons in the closet? Hahaha
(2)

Becky 16 stitches to the inch is amazing. I am over the moon happy if I can manage 10 and then that is not consistent.

Your quilts sound beautiful.
(1)

NHWM, Google old fashioned quilting frames. There are several illustrations. One photo shows a full sized quilt loaded and ready to go. I love the old quilting. But that’s what both of my country grandmas did. I learned from them when I was about 5. I used to go to church quilting with my Grandma Stalnaker every week. Ladies would let me quilt down at the edge where the binding might cover up my mistakes. I collect quilts. My oldest is a scrap quilt made at a plantation in SC in 1864. It’s made from fancy fabrics - velvet, satin, brocade. Each piece is outlined in hand embroidery. I bought it at an auction in Georgetown SC. My favorite quilt is made from old feed sacks - Kentucky Star pattern. The quilting is 16 stitches to the inch. It was made by a great-great aunt in the 20’s. I have 30+.
(2)

Becky, that is so awe inspiring that you hand quilt. And you have frames from your grandpa. I love to quilt, but I use modern day conveniences.

May God give your kidneys a complete healing. Hugs and strength to you for your journey.
(3)

Need, I am wondering if you can help me with glass etching?
I have a piece of glass that has some lightly etched logo and I want to know if it is possible to clear the glass and re-etch it.

It is approx 1/2-3/4" thick and roughly 3' x 7'. I would love to salvage it and make a table top.

I am in the planning of making a yard art piece out of an old window that has the small panes(?) I think it will look awesome framed and set up on 1 foot posts to frame some flowers or colorful plants.

Maybe etching a few of the panes would be really cool.

I have been drying small branches from mesquite trees to make small pots for the yard. I don't know if I will decorate actual pots or do free form and use moss. Ideas and experiences are welcome.

I have enjoyed reading everyone's stress relief projects.

My mom crochets and loves to tell people that she is a hooker. I laughed when I read that some of you love to crochet, I think I will forever think of it as hooking, no offense.
(1)

Becky,

That is awesome! Quilting frames from your grandpa. How sweet is that? So very sweet! Please cherish those. Not only a memory of your grandpa but truly a part of history. You are so blessed to own those.

Now please, tell me about the quilting. My husband’s friend from work does something called lap quilting. No sewing machine or anything. Her quilts are gorgeous. Is that what you do? She has really beautiful designs for her quilts. She says it’s very relaxing.

My daddy had two quilts from his mom that she made. Daddy said she made them with a group of women in the community. They took turns receiving a quilt. If a woman was getting married she would be next in line and so forth. I think it’s so special the way these women quilted together.

I loved those quilts and hoped to have them one day. Unfortunately, they along with everything else was destroyed in hurricane Katrina at my mom’s house.

I wish you well with your dialysis. That’s tough. Will say prayers for you.
(1)

I am an old school quilter. I hand cut, hand piece and hand quilt. Not into all of the cutters, sewing machines and machine quilters. It takes me awhile, but I manage two or three a year. Four if I’m really stressed out. I started dialysis last Tuesday. That’s 12 hours of piecing time a week. I have a set of quilting frames that my grandfather made in about 1918. I keep them up all the time with a quilt on board.
(4)

Anonymous,

I kind of have a thing for coasters. I don’t have a ton of them. I do have about 8 coasters that I use all of the time.

I have made several coasters as gifts for people.

I have not tried the cement ones but I like them. Since you’ve worked with cement I thought you may have made them.

Is working with cement fairly easy? Have you ever tinted the cement? Can that be done successfully or would it change the curing process?

I can see why your projects were a big hit. I would want one too. They sound really cool.
(1)

NHWM: No I haven't yet. But It's something I am willing to try.
(1)

I agree, Essie. It’s nice to be doing something creative.
(0)

Anonymous, Aren’t you clever? Thanks so much for info. I am going to try it.

Have you tried making cement coasters? I love those.
(1)

After I square my mother away with everything she needs, I rush to my bedroom, close the door and get out my paints, canvass and brushes. I paint in acrylic and love to create colorful landscapes, seascapes and forals! This is my therapy for without this hobby, I would lose my mind! Lol. Everyone no matter who you are or what you are doing, one must have a hobby. It helps your mind to focus on other things than worrying about your LO.
(1)

NHWM-I use Staz on and archival ink. They stay on better than water based ink. As for making rocks, they are easy. I buy the quick setting cement, pour into a ziploc bag, add water, close the bag and mix up intil all of the cement is wet. I like the cement to be the constituency of pancake batter. Afterwards, I cut the end of the bag and pipe the mixture into molds (Silicone ones, like ice cube trays). I smooth the tray afterwards like I am frosting a cake. I let dry 24 hours and then pop the molds out of the tray. I paint them afterwards. I dig the ice cube molds that look like holiday themed ice cubes and every day objects. I did a bunch of these for the kids trick or treat trail this year that my friend organized and they were a huge hit.
(1)

Realtime,

Tell me more about the genealogy project please. Thanks.

I think that would be fascinating. Now I am very interested but when I was younger I would not have been.

Isn’t it interesting how our taste changes as we age? Not with everything and some changes are natural.
(0)

Realtime,

Wonderful! Fantastic ideas and activities.
(0)

lealonnie,

Those sound awesome! Also, you are what I refer to as an eBay Queen! My friend does that. She does well selling her kid’s items too. They outgrow things so fast. Toys they tire of, etc.
(0)

It's been a little over a year since my mother died. The first eight months or so I spent clearing out the house for sale, but since then I've found various ways to unwind and reconnect with "real" life. One big drawback to caregiving is that it isolates you from people your own age, the community --- you "catch" the habits of being old from your elder.

I joined the local senior center and attend a weekly round table that discusses current events; I take a Sudoku strategy class at the center and do sudoku puzzles (very relaxing). And I joined the county genealogical society to get help figuring out how to purge/preserve the boxes of family papers I'm still going through. Before I was a caregiver, I took several free, non-credit online college courses through Coursera (I highly recommend it); I plan to start that again soon, a course at a time.
(1)

I go to Estate sales every Saturday with DH and buy lots of antique & vintage jewelry (and things of value that I can get inexpensively & resell on eBay). Then I make Christmas projects from the jewelry. Last year I made a wreath from a styrofoam base treated & painted gold, then covered with the jewelry and hung with large a wire bow. I also made a framed Christmas tree in an antique gold wood frame with an overhead light. I covered a foam-core board with green velvet, then outlined a Christmas tree with seed pearl edging, then filled it in with vintage jewelry/brooches that I glued on. The empty spots I filled in with pearls and loose jewels, topping the tree off with a large rhinestone star brooch. I wish I could post photos here........they turned out great, but I love the wreath best.

Over the past year, I've collected a few hundred brooches (literally) which I plan to make into a 2' styrofoam Christmas tree covered in jewelry. Today I found THE perfect topper, a star ornament covered in silver bugle beads!!! I'm putting the tree on a turntable base so it can be viewed from all angles; and am trying to decide what to cover the base with. Snow? I don't know.......I'll have to think about it for a while....LOL.

I also have a few small/medium leather jewelry boxes that I plan to cover with jewelry and give as gifts.
(2)

GA,

Fossils are so cool! When my youngest daughter was in preschool her best friend’s parents were paleontologists. The mom and dad would bring in dinosaur bones and fossils for ‘show and tell.’
(1)

Used up,
I am the fun aunt too! Now I have fun with great nieces and nephews too. I love all my nieces and nephews. It’s my brothers that are idiots!

Christmas stockings are wonderful! At our church we do Christmas angels. You select an angel off of the Christmas Tree and it has the sex and age of child, along with the gift they desire.
(0)

NHWM, I don’t have children, but love to do holiday stuff for my nephews, kids at church, etc. Always do Easter baskets, small Christmas stockings, other holidays.
(2)

Anonymous, what ink do you use? StazOn? Rubber stamps?
(1)

Carla,

Don’t you love their personality? They can melt our hearts. Dogs are so sweet and smart!
(1)

Used up,

I thought so. Some people do a certain cut and do a no sew thing and tie with ribbon. I’ve done these for bridal and baby showers.

Those sound so cute and fun to do. I still make up Easter baskets for my family. My youngest one who is graduating this year from college says, “Mom, the bunny has a basket for me, right?” Hahaha I asked her when was she going to outgrow the bunny visiting our home. She is so funny!
(0)

NHWM, cut in a rectangle with pinking shears, sew up side seams. Make a drawstring pocket around top to run ribbon thru. Really simple.
(1)

NeedHelpwithMom - My dog is fine in the car but we both prefer the open air and freedom of using the golf cart. I live in a golf community in Florida, and although dogs are not allowed on the golf course per se, there are lots of open fields, wooded trails, and several small lakes to drive around as well. When the spirit moves her, Izzie will hop down and trot (or walk) alongside the golf cart, and take a potty break if she needs to. I have to slow down a lot when she's outside the cart, but I don't mind that. Within the community, lots of people travel mainly by golf cart, and are frequently accompanied by their dogs. It's the local custom here!
(1)

1 2 3 4 5
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter