Follow
Read More
i was just looking at some german pastries pam . their equivalent of apple crisp is Apfelstrudel . i wasnt really impressed . it had the addition of raisins but essentially was a thin skinned brotchen roll filled with apple, raisins and bread crumbs . maybe some slivered almonds . id like to add the almonds to my crisp but ive a feeling it will be sliced , toasted acorns instead .
re ; almonds " i aintta payin it , let em keep it " ..
juju, you werent kidding about the animal fat in chicken wings . i put the leftovers in the fridge last night still in the pan . this am there was nearly 2 inches of gelled fat on top of the water . that would stop your heart mid - beat if theyd only been quick fried and a sauce added .
(0)

i use quick oats , flour , butter , pumpkin pie spice and cinnamon . these are good baking apples from some trees in town . i noticed some new " whips " under one of the trees . im going to go dig me up one of them . ive never seen dwarf trees so overburdened by such large apples and the trees werent even tended to .
(0)

Captain, do you put oatmeal in the topping? and Cinnamon? walnuts or coconut? or maple syrup? ahhhh the possibilities.....a few raisins with the apples too... or use orange juice instead of water....yummmm
(0)

i made edna and i another apple crisp tonight also. im getting them better every time . i toss about 2 / 3 cup of water , sugar and corn starch in the apples before adding topping . makes more of a pie filling consistancy .
still havent started digging a root cellar yet . id rather get the concrete block in here first .
(1)

I finally made my apple crisp tonight. I used the Joy of Cooking recipe, which uses neither rolled oats nor brown sugar. Barb and I both loved it.

Veronica, you will be pleased to hear that the crisp shared the oven with the wild rice hot dish that was the main course. We both loved that, too. I said, "I wonder why I don't make wild rice more often? I really like it." And Barb reminded me that it is 1) expensive and 2) takes a long time to cook. Oh yeah, I knew there was a reason. :)

Tomorrow through Saturday I'll be on a bus tour -- NO COOKING!! I love cooking, but a break is always nice.
(1)

You will have some nice stock there, capt, if you get it cold and remove all the fat from the top it might be healthy, lol!!!

Nope warm beer, maybe over the pond, not for a yankee! Actually good is a warm beer and lemonade mix friend brought back from European vacation!

I'd fire up the oven in a heatwave for brownie's lol!!!

I have to say tho I just got a new oven, mine had been broken for years, so I had one of those turbo ovens (rapidwave), little countertop models, and have grown so accustom to how nicely it crisps up things, like fries n frozen battered stuff like fish or chkn, corndogs etc...(yes I do a lot of pre prepared stuff just because I have too, timewise) and does the meat so quick. I only use the oven for large stuff, cassaroles. or baking etc...

I love reading all the yummy stuff you guys make, I am living vicariously thru you all! lol!!
(0)

I haven't taken the time to cook or eat much lately. Since care giving for my cousin, it's not been a priority. But the upside is I've lost 31 pounds! Today, I felt so hungry and just done something really crazy, so after leaving the Memory Unit, I got a hamburger, french fries and apple turnover from fast food!!!!!!!! I never do that. I don't even like it, but this was good and I ate every bite! lol

Tomorrow, I'm planning to cook shrimp, veggies and rice.
(1)

im just boiling chicken wings again . gotta get em out of the freezer because farm foreman is going to bring me a garbage bag full of venison . ill probably still can the venison so i dont have to worry about freezer burn .
had an apple pancake this am to see if breakfast really would give me energy . it didnt seem to .
im liking the rebuilt kitchen counter . little by little the kitchen is getting cleaned up better .
(2)

I'm laughing because I'm hardly on this site, since I hardly cook dinner anymore! But with the discussion about energy use, I had to chime in. For small things, I bust out my toaster oven. The one I got happens to be awful for toasting (it takes FOREVER!), but it probably does save energy when all I want to do is bake something small. Our regular oven is large, our house is small, and we usually have warm weather, so I don't like to over-heat the house.
(0)

Ya know, I've never heard anyone ask if turning on the oven just to bake a pan of brownies is wasteful of energy. :)

Usually my oven is crowded. I don't often roast or bake one thing.

I had a team come out last year to assess our energy use. I asked about a small refrigerator we have. The answer? "It may not be as efficient as your large refrigerator, but we do not recommend that you drink your beer warm."
(2)

Jeanne only the rich can afford the best. One answer is grow and process your own.
isn't turning the oven on to just roast sliced potatos rather wastefull of energy.
(0)

Tonight was broiled steak spread with blue cheese crumbles, cole slaw, and sliced roasted potato (hasselback). Basic meat-and-potato fare. Wouldn't want it every night, but welcome occasionally.

If you have never tried hasselback potatoes, give them a look on google. Hadn't heard of them last year, and now they are our preferred style.

What I've noticed about prices is that organic is often more than twice the price of regular. How does any household sustain that?
(1)

Yes I have noticed that also, prices are really going up on the basics!

Breakfast was ggggggooooodddddd!

I just learned something new .......if you gently pinch the bottom of the banana it pops right open. To think I have been struggling with banana's all my life, errrrr. Especially since mom. It is the easiest and her favorite snack of mom's and healthy so she gets at least one a day, if not 2.
(2)

luxury items arent selling juju so everybody is trying to jack up the essentuals . a box of cereal has gotten so thin you cant see it if its sitting sideways . banana nut pancakes are my favorite . ive also noticed there are no price choices in stores nowdays . its like they temporarily hike the generic price and lower the brand name price to get your money either way . i paid near 3 dollars for a box of oatmeal last week . smaller box than in the past and the oats barely swell when you cook them . oats used to be absurdly cheap . ive went back to stick type butter too . half the price of tubs .
i stayed home from work today . it will give me a better run tomorrow when theres help there . we have a goal to get some plastic pipe ran before a concrete pour on thursday .
i have another apple crisp in the oven this am . the retailers are screwed if theyre counting on me for their survival .
(1)

BTW when did bacon skyrocket to 9 bucks a pack??
(0)

Well it's what's for breakfast today!!!
I am making a hot homemade breakfast for BOTH of us this morning, I can't remember the last time I did that...

We are having pancakes topped with banana & nuts chopped up.
That wicked, wicked, downfall, which is nearly never in our home-Thick slice applewood bacon and the eggs, of course, over medium!
Ok I am off to engage the spatula!

Out of real maple syrup tho, so will use mom's Sr food bag, average syrup, oh well I just got back from store and don't intend to return.
(2)

Boni, what was your carbs for that dinner? How many carbs are you supposed to have per meal? Or maybe that comes later, after you've seen a dietitian and educator.

Tonight we had stir-fried ham, red onions, apples, and cabbage, with caraway seeds. Very fall! To make up enough carbs for the meal I had some pumperknickle bread -- very nice compliment to the stir-fry.
(0)

captain, try the Goodwill or Salvation Army or find a little old lady who no longer cans, or an old moonshiner with extra jars. Widemouth are nice, try Walmart, Ace Hardware, any Agway, Kmart or Porter Bottle. Bed Bath and Beyond was selling new Ball wide mouth quarts for $13.99 for box of 12.
(0)

i dont hunt or fish , pam . no patience for it . ill eat a road kill deer or buy and butcher a hog in a skinny minute tho . im canning my last bucket of apples , listening to some music , boiling chicken wings and ' ahem ' , gettin a little buzz tonight . if anyone within 100 miles of central indiana has some canning jars to sell , ill flatass come get em . i only use quarts and for the purpose of the upcoming meat id prefer loudmouthed jars .
(0)

captain, make some white oak scent for your camouflage duds. Deer love white oak. I have heard of squirrels coming after it too.
We got a new smoker, so tonight we had smoked salmon salad sandwiches. Yummmy!
(1)

apple cake is on my agenda for this winter . i have a couple gallon of acorns drying because in an apple cake i think they would be just a good as chipped walnuts and a dam site less laborious to prepare . ill take that " saved " energy and get my root cellar built . one person cant do it all . i have to pick and choose what means the most to me .
i need that cellar . venison is coming and ill can the whole freakin deer ..
(0)

I made butternut squash soup for the first time, the CG brought us one and I was determined to use it! Very yummy! And mom made a dump cake
(2)

sherded beef with gravy over egg noodles
(2)

I made a crust less spinach and feta quiche. I will surely make it again.
(3)

my apple crisp turned out pretty good . i can see the reason for baking it on the lowest oven shelf -- bakes the apples thoroughly before the topping overbakes .
i found packages of chicken wings today for 59 cents a pound so i bought an armload of them . i figure boiling them takes out a lot of the excess animal fat .
im getting cheaper every day . my life is comfortable enough in the bunker now, i can wait till yard sale time again to get a few small things i need . passed up a 4 dollar blender today and a 4 dollar light fixture i could have used . i can get both at yard sales for probably a half a buck each . i bought a pocket knife to sharpen construction pencils with for 50 cents . this economy is NOT recovering one dam bit . im on the ground in construction , i would know , better than govt economists if it were . i plan to survive if the whole world sucks up and busts ..
(1)

My oven was full and my energy level dipping so I didn't even make baked apples. I just cut them in wedges and served with butterscotch sundae topping drizzled over them. Both the Honey Gold and the Haralsons were great.

Dinner was a tuna/cheese concoction wrapped in a biscuit sheet, baked, sliced, and served with a cheese sauce. Also French onion soup and roasted broccoli.
(1)

OK I will stop after this, shouldn't be on the Internet hungry!

babble/best-recipes/baked-cheesecake-stuffed-apples-more-fall-cheesecake-desserts/#pumpkin-maple-pecan-cheesecake

I love apple season, brings the deer down to my yard for a snack!!
(0)

Apple season!!! Look what I just found! yummo!!!

thegunnysack/2014/09/bloomin-baked-apples-recipe.html
(1)

Captain, I have baked apples on the menu for tomorrow, but I might do crisp instead. Son and his sweetie went to an apple farm last weekend, and brought me two kinds of apples.

Veronica, the spinal tap went just fine. It is a pretty easy procedure, even though it sounds kind of scary.
(1)

That sounds really good, Judda. When I am going to do something with squash other than bake it and eat it I often cheat and buy the vegetable already cut up. But I'll give this bake-it-whole approach a try.

Tonight we had another hot dish from my personal cookbook. Coy used to like this one a lot, but I haven't made it for years. It is layers of rice, cooked spinach, seafood, mushroom soup, and topped with French fried onion rings. I used fresh spinach instead of frozen, and I sauteed the seafood and onions in olive oil instead of butter. Please pass the gold stars. But then I made cheddar biscuits to go with it and those definitely have butter!
(1)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter