Follow
Read More
Find Care & Housing
Turkey and Gravy and Mashed potatoes. Thanksgiving in April. Why not?
(2)

Nasty rainy and cold here. I made beef-tips and carrots in brown gravy over noodles. It's one of Moms favorite winter dishes. I hope to not make it again until November. I also made Molten lava cakes with french vanilla cake......not as good as the chocolate ones, but still yummy.
(2)

Tonight's dinner requirements were about the same as last night's. I did a quick stir-fry with chicken, celery, green onions, dried fruit soaked in chicken broth, and a box of Stove Top stuffing. Recipe from a 1989 magazine. It was very good! Also a "super foods" salad, from Costco. They really have some nice items.

Mother was in a lot of pain today. :(

How did your appointment go, cap?
(1)

The requirements for tonight's dinner were 1) use up something left from the party (rotisserie chicken), 2) be quick to make (I spent the afternoon at the NH), and 3) taste good. I made chicken in a cilantro sauce over linguini, served with hot crusty baguette. It was good.

Bacon on ice cream with maple syrup sounds surprisingly good, especially compared to some of the weird combinations with bacon.

Good luck on your appointment tomorrow cap!
(1)

I'll stand my "briny swill" up against your fried chicken pumps" any day cap! lol
never fried a donut in bacon fat - don't think I will try it either Hope your appointment goes well tomorrow.

Gary had a bacon maple syrup sundae once at Denny's who were on a bacon kick. Apparently it was good. Love maple syrup.

Supper tonight was beef patties, cauliflower and green and yellow beans. I fed the dog part of the beef. He approved.
(1)

emjo,

" I don't find it needs thickening if you don't add too much water when you boil the veg - and let it boil down some. It is not watery. Just experiment! :) "
briny swill, lol.
im having donuts and bacon sandwiches -- theres a connection. had to fry bacon to get enough fat to fry the donuts last night.. givin the old bile ducts a shakedown cruise..
went to va this am but my appointment wasnt until tomorrow. the screwup is everybodys fault but mine..
blameshifting -- the gold standard since adam and that " i didnt do it " chick -- eve ..
(3)

I've mentioned making bread with a sandwich filling baked in before. Yesterday I made 6 of them, or rather made them Saturday and reheated them Sunday. I periodically have a party I call Sunday Dinner at Gramma's. There were 18 of us yesterday.

The loafs were:
1) Deli roast beef with coarse dijon mustard, an artichoke-jalapeno spread piled high, covered with cheddar cheese. I think this was the most popular.
2) Corned beef with Grey Poupon, sauerkraut, thousand-island dressing, and swiss cheese
3) Italian sausage cooked with onion, green pepper, and fennel, with marinara sauce and mozzarella
4) Deli turkey, black current mustard, 7-grain salad mixture, and cranberry-cheddar cheese
5) Rotisserie chicken, basil mustard, pesto, Mexican cheese, Swiss cheese (this had a lot of fans, too.)
6) Sliced tomato, a French mustard, three kinds of cheese, 7-grain salad

We had fruit kabob, with strawberries, pineapple, kiwi, bananas, and a few dried apricots and dates.

For dessert there were bars (I made double for Easter and froze half for this event):

Brownies
Brownies with cookie dough
Lime bars
Lemon bars
Orange bars
7-layer "magic" bars
Tropical fruit bars
Macadamia honey bars
Ginger bars with orange frosting
Peanut bars
Rice krispie bars in a horseshoe pan for a 13th birthday (great grandson)
Confetti cake in the shape of the number one, for 1st anniversary (grandson)

That was a lot of food for 18 people, but most of the grandkids are at the age/situation where free food is welcome and they carted off most of the leftovers.
(3)

edna has gotten too cheap to grocery shop so shes living off of whatever i bring her, and the manna mission box dinner. ive been taking her bisq / gravy from hardees every morning and a bowl of rice to snack on during the day. if shes going to rely on me to keep her in meals i may as well get creative with it. her favorite is a donut. she plans to go to the va with me tomorrow if she can get ready in time. she dont like milk or cheese either. itll be like cooking for an anorexic 4 yr old.
(1)

hehe Pam, yes I meant beef. I clicked "submit" it it flashed before my eyes, darn, too late" !! I do like my veggies but not so sure if I'd like them on a keiser roll !!

I killed a bat once... I was maybe 8, smacked it with my fishing pole cus it was buzzing my head. Should have cooked it, probably tasted like chicken :)

Tomorrow...venison shoulder roast ( my first buck) then leftovers for as long as I can stretch them!!
(2)

windy - I am with you -buying a few donuts and freezing them does less damage to me than a pan full of brownies. Sorry to hear about your kid. That is a high temp. Hope he gets better fast.

There are a number of GF thickeners - cornstarch or other similar things - e.g potato flour. Check the internet. When I make broccoli, or cauliflower or celery soup I often don't use a thickener. Yes, pureed veggies work fine and are healthy. It s not the same as a regular chowder, but for me, satisfies that need for a "creamy" textured soup. I just boil the veggies with onion, garlic, and mushrooms etc, if wanted, throw the cooked veg and liquid in the blender and puree, then season, You can experiment with veg combinations like broccoli and spinach, or celery and asparagus ends, cauliflower and green beans. It comes out pretty "creamy". You could add a non dairy milk like rice, almond or soy or even coconut to increase the creaminess. I don't find it needs thickening if you don't add too much water when you boil the veg - and let it boil down some. It is not watery. Just experiment! :)
(2)

pam - I can't bring myself to use the mixes that have sugar (evaporated cane juice or other sweetener) as a first ingredient, and most of them do. I looked it up and they may have milk contamination. I can make cakes from scratch with GF flour. Haven't tried brownies from scratch, but expect they would not be difficult. I tend to make my baking less sweet, and add fruit. G is not a huge chocolate fan anyway, and I don't need the calories, so brownies are not high on my list. The donuts are a very "once in a while" treat and I can buy the ready made..
(1)

Emjo, Geez I'm sure easily 'suggestive' when it comes to food. First thing tomorrow, I'm getting a chocolate covered donut. :) Well, after the kiddo's doc appt. He was nearly 104 this morning - suspect strep throat. Hate this stuff.

What may I ask, do you use to thicken GF DF soup? Puree some of the veggies? Is cornstarch acceptable?

Just curious as my stomach is not real keen on dairy anymore and I try to watch my carbs. Well, except for the afformentioned donut. There's a reason I don't keep them in the house. :P
(1)

Cap-Bats are better if you dice them very fine and marinate in olive oil before you stir fry them. Did you know kidneys have EPO? Makes red blood cells.
Emjo- try the GF Brownies! You can get the mix at website: nuts. Good Stuff.
Jeanette- you meant beef not beens, right? I wish we could edit. LOL
(2)

ill eat bats when i run out of chicken livers , jeanette.
ive been hankering for some braided potato donuts. the braided design holds a lot of glaze and you can cop the sugar buzz from h*ll .. apple bits in the dough makes em outrageous.
im going to make some right now. im a sporatic sob.
(1)

cap - the flour and sour cream are out due to allergies. I made the soup and it was very tasty without either of those. Roasted red peppers are a soup staple for me. Cooking without flour or dairy is a bit of a challenge. I managed to make my daughter cream of mushroom soup, diary and flour free.
(2)

I dunno Bob, according to that food channel guy, bats are a delicacy in many parts of the world :) especially the crispy fried ones!
(1)

Today I made Safeway Deli Roast been sandwiches, baked beans and deli fruit cups. Whew.... (dusting the flour off my face) for dessert... Deli Ambrosia :D
(2)

" bull juice " thickener, emjo. cold h2o and flour. and sour cream. makes soup into a rich, spoonable chowder. sour cream goes in after the soup is done.
throw all that veg chowder stuff together with some shrimp bits some time and everybody gets wildeyed.
(1)

broccoli soup iz what prompted me to start making vegetable chowder for mom 3 yrs ago. she thought broc soup from suckway was really great. phoo. if i cant one up suckway i might as well retire to an underground bunker and swat bats for the rest of my life.
the chowder was good, the bats, not so much..
(2)

- broccoli soup and, uncharacteristically, 2 GF DF chocolate covered donuts
(1)

s**t,
i can buy a headlight bulb and homeland security freaks out. i use crushed red pepper in everything yaya. well before it gets " hot " there is much flavor to be had. elders with dentures may not care for red pepper flakes so i use powdered red pepper if an elder is eating my gruel.
a niece asked me a couple of years ago what in the world id flavored some venison / rice stuffed bell peppers with 20 years ago at christmastime . i assured her it would have been red pepper. in fairness the stuffed bell peppers had white gravy baked into the stuffing too . the deer was a road kill and all the other ingredients came from a dumpster. thats probly what made it good. the lord helps those who help themselves. he
im having something special tonight. cold leftover chicken livers and rice with apricots for dessert.
i getta see sondras behind tomorrow. that and my 4 week viral load test. meh to the viral load test.. i feel good , i dont give a dam what it reads..
(1)

I'm not one to eat food I don't like just because it is good for me. There are bazillions of foods I do like that are good for me -- why bother with the losers? (Which is not to say I wouldn't eat them if a guest of someone who was serving them.)

I'm glad I bought my two pressure cookers decades ago. Long before homeland security cared what we cooked with. :)
(0)

Toasted tofu then splashed with liquid aminos
A loaf of millet seasoned with coriander, onions and garlic
Bitter melon and leeks in white sauce with green herbs
Mom is a good eater, never complains.
(0)

As per my "daily whine" post last night - beef stew tonight. Have to admit tho, despite my complaining it came out good, and with the weather being so dank and chilly it went down really nice too....worth it in the end
Captain - great idea for an easy sweet & sour sauce - thnx! I love stir fry too....I'll def have to try that next time. What kind of red peppers...bell?
Hubs bought a pressure cooker a couple of years ago, can't remember why. I think we used it once and haven't pulled it out of the cabinet since. They kinda scare me a little too...
(1)

ROFL I can see you cooking up that boot, like Charlie Chaplin in "The Gold Rush" and savoring every bite.
(1)

love stir fry, book. when its cooked , mix a little grape jelly , red pepper , and white vinegar and youve got sweet n sour sauce.
(2)

im a believer in the old pressure cooker / canner. hate to dispute my own " simmer " theory again but in the absence of atmospheric pressure / o2 , higher cooking temps are reached in the pressure cooker and you can cook a leather boot to perfection in 40 minutes.
there are things you dont mess with tho. anything that may clog the steam valve. beans come to mind.
ya wonder how kfc gets their fried chicken so tender? pressure deep frying.
ya wonder how a farmers wife can get a tough rooster to fry up so tender? shes cooking in an iron skillet with a tight fitting lid and essentially pressure cooking / frying .. 10 - 15 psi is a reality in iron with a tight lid.
(0)

Susan, You have the same weather we do. It's rained close to 2" today and looks bad for the next six days, Spring Schming! Rain is ponding so much in the backyard, there's a Mallard duck swimming around. That's a first in our 10 years here!

Hot roast beef sandwiches sound soooo good, especially with mashed potatoes. Good for you having your freezer stocked up. I love that for the days when it finally gets nice and you want to be working out in the yard. Nuke a good homecooked meal in the microwave and you're good to go.

We just had some homemade pizza. It turned out nice and crispy so I'm pretty satisfied with it. My teenage son has a 101 fever though, so it was kind of sad that he wasn't able to eat much. When my kiddo's appetite is off, I don't usually feel much like eating either.

And now you have me thinking about making lasagna. Num-num. :P
(1)

rice and apricots sounds good to me, so does stir fry, and also crock pot roasts with veggies.

I am still in the hotel, and had a great brunch with G, so supper will be very light -maybe spinach salad with a chicken breast.

cap, I am with you - I will eat things I don't particularly like if they are good for me.

pam - re a pressure cooker, have fears from seeing the results of the neighbour's pressure cooker, in which she was making head cheese, having exploded all over their ceiling. It left a lasting impression. I have never purchase or used one. Head cheese, for anyone who doesn't know it, is a jellied meat dish usually made from the head and sometimes feet of a pig or calf. I think it was a pig head she used.
(2)

Last week, I got all ambitious and made a big pan of lasagna plus 3 small ones for the freezer, plus 2 roasts with veggies cooked all day in the crock pot. (I like to make bigger meals, even though it's just Mom and I eating - I put all extras into the freezer for future meals). Tonight we had hot roast beef sandwiches w/mashed potatoes. It's a heavier meal than I like to prepare most of the time, but it's been colder than normal here today and there's a gloomy week ahead with lots of rain - I think a little comfort food was in order! :-)

The rest of the roast will go into the freezer for later meals.
(2)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter