Follow
Read More
I cant believe people are still eating SPAM? havnt seen that since i was a kid never liked it UGH smells like babies cream for nappie rash!! I guess we were brought up here on meat and veg we didnt have processed food until the late 70s and mum never bought processed food everything we had was fresh! times sure have changed now i never eat processed food i have to know exactly whats in it as ive a dodgy stomach so i have to be careful!
(0)

kaz , your pork / apple stuffing sounds good . something similar is one of my favorite recipes also . pork chops layered in a bread pan with apple dressing . a can of corn in the dressing doesnt hurt a thing .
its breakfast time right now tho -- coffee and tobacco ..
(0)

marymember! thanks for the invite BUT lets hold the ice tea!! we will all bring wine and beer!! Fried chicken (homer simpson droooooooool)
(0)

There is a Spam museum in Austin Minnesota, where the company is headquartered. I took a 5-day guided bus tour through that part of the state and Iowa with an alumni group, guided by a geography professor. We stopped at the museum. What a riot! Thousands of people see that museum, but not many are lead by a college professor.
(3)

In our culture, rice is our main staple. We eat rice with everything - fried rice, rice pudding, rice in the soup, etc... My people like the spicy spam or the tabasco spam. I prefer the low sodium one - and rarely eat it - unless it's in stew style. That helps to not taste the saltiness. But also due to my cholest. I 'cheat' once in a while.

I've asked oldest bro if there's any way of transplanting an avocado tree to our yard. We have 3 different kinds of mango trees. I'm allergic to mangos. I said that I miss having an avocado tree. Bro knocked down all of our banana trees. We had 2 kinds of banana trees - the one for cooking and the Manila bananas. Dad doesn't know that bro got rid of it. We still have several papaya trees which are too near the house and keep falling after every storm. Bro uprooted the oldtimer ones that withstood the time of storms/typhoons.
(0)

Bookluvr, this has probably been covered, but it is not in your profile. Are you in Hawaii? Spam (made not far from here) is much more popular there and anywhere else in the US, so I wonder. Also, do you eat rice everyday?

I too love avocados. I envy anyone with a tree! (They wouldn't do so well in Minnesota!)
(1)

Oldest bro's coworker has an avocado tree. When these trees produce fruit, it is a Lot of fruit. I remember when we used to have one. It produced so much that we couldn't eat it daily and still not waste the excess. So, we always gave out to mom's siblings. Bro's coworker is doing the same. He's giving it out to his coworkers rather than have it wasted. I just looooove avocados!

My breakfast salami sandwich was jazzed up with avocado. I cut a slice, used a fork to mash it down, added a little bit of low sodium soy sauce, sprinkled chunky black pepper on it, put tabasco on the salami.. and ate it like that. Yum!!! 11:15am. Time to start making my spam meal for lunch/dinner.
(1)

After a late breakfast I realized this was the day our local upscale supermarket was featuring samples from local suppliers. I stopped over there and was greeted with a whole ear of roast corn and butter before I even stepped foot in the store. Then awesome samples of everything from appetizers to desserts. I'm stuffed. Just got an email that Barb is bringing her daughter (my granddaughter) home for dinner, so I guess I better figure out what I will feed them. I can't imagine eating until midnight myself!

Kaz, we call the bread-based side dish "stuffing" or "dressing." Maybe it depends on the part of the country, but here in Minnesota both are used interchangeably. It would be more logical to call it stuffing if it is actually cooked in the meat, and dressing if it is cooked separately, but logic has little to do with naming conventions. I recently took a cooking class where I learned a stuffing recipe for pork tenderloin that was mostly dried fruits. Good!
(1)

Tomorrow I am making fried chicken, mashed potatoes, gravy, steamed green beans, lettuce and tomato salad, iced tea, and for dessert ice cream....come on over....marymember
(2)

Roast pork stuffed with my stuffing handed down from 3 generations!! garlic potatoes and green beans! have to make my stuffing with GF breadcrumbs so hope it turns out alright? i dont know what americans call stuffing mum says you call it "dressing" she lived in Chicago. making apple cider gravy here we eat alot of apple with pork! actually thats apple AND cider gravy not to be confused with applecider vinegar. I just throw some real cider and a few apples into the gravy from the roast YUMMY!!
(1)

Book hats off to you! i just dont know how you do it all working all day then caring? yeh its sad that sleeping is the best part of the day!!
(0)

I know, Veronica. My conscience wouldn't allow me to do that. I just wish... Thanks.. Off to bed now. Favorite part of the day - - sleeping.
(0)

Wouldn't work Book she would just find something for herself and find a way to pay you back so you did the right thing.
(1)

I couldn't go through with it. I felt bad to eat without not leaving any for sis. I left some for her.
(0)

I came home at 3pm. I would have cooked but since sis didn't cook rice, I didn't cook anything. I'm on strike. I'm tired of always being the one to cook enough food for both of us for the day when it's my shift at caregiving.

My dinner is my leftover takeout breakfast... fried rice with 3 or 4 pieces of Portuguese sausage. I will just make 2 over-medium eggs to go with it. Maybe, chop up the sausages, and re-fry the rice by adding both sausages in it. Feeling bad though that I'm not cooking for sis....

Tomorrow, I might be making what you all call spam goulash. (depends on what fave sis brings for lunch.) I bought 2 cans of tomatoes. Can't wait to cook it with mushrooms and olives and corn...and lots of onions.
(1)

I got treated out to dinner tonight to celebrate our 22nd Anniversary! We had ham steaks with mashed potato, rolls, and the salad bar. It was very good.
(5)

Roast beef (I buy huge chubs when they're on for $2 a pound and freeze), potato and green beans straight from the garden but I'm too tired to eat. Raving busy day and I had a sandwich for lunch - eat lunch and supper is toast but I was so hungry. I've plated mine for tomorrow and my fur girls had theirs in their supper.

Mowed (with the tractor = 3 hours) got some paint on the mud room. sorted my rescue kitten's play room, fed everyone. It's now 8.p.m. and I'll likely go to bed soon. I'm exhausted,. Tomorrow is another day.

I was at the NH couple pf days go but I won't go back for while - it totally unhinges me.
(2)

im just cacking down cheap polish sausages from the sav a lot . during the work season i just exist on whatevers easy . come wintertime ill be making some oven odors in here . i think ill get off my azz right now and fry my aunt some apples . shes tired of sweet stuff but if i watch the sugar , apples and crackers arent all that sweet -- and she loves apples ..
(0)

Lamb FILLET (lotto win) stirfry with peppers spring onions and spices yummy! Love lamb but its so bloody expensive its cheaper to buy gold!! Expensive dark chocolate with ORANGE cant wait!! I could get very used to MONEY!! May buy a lobster tomorrow!!!!
(2)

Tonight will be grilled chicken breast salad and easy chicken tortilla soup. I cook the chicken on the george forum grill and use it for the salad and the soup.
(2)

ive got to get some remodeling done . years ago my youngest kid built a kitchen counter top in here but only used a lavatory sized kitchen sink . its just crippling my cooking efforts as you can imagine . washing a pan or filling one with water becomes quite an ordeal . my mom died a year ago tomorrow and ive been home that long but most of my energy has went towards my aunt and rebuilding masonry equiptment / work . when i get the kitchen right the food will get better . starting for now with getting my sleep better . i didnt realize till now that improper sleep was keeping me from thriving .
(1)

I still don't know what we are having for supper, but that sounds good!
(0)

Oh JB "snickernoodle cookies" sound yummy whatever they are! LOL
(0)

Hot roast beef sandwiches sound good, Glad! Tonight we are having Midwestern goulash, biscuit sticks, and snickerdoodle cookies. Minnesota comfort food.
(1)

Hot roast beef sandwiches, mashed potatoes, early green peas. It has been like fall here, so much rain this week. The folks are back in fall clothes and heavy sweaters! LOL!
(1)

Ha! looloo tonight my stomach is a bit dodgy so its been juice and water all day! still recovering from a vodka and coke too many!! UGH why did i drink sooooo much?? EH stress maybe?
(0)

Something with the salad I didn't eat last night. Stopped at a local farm stand this morning for tomatoes, new potatoes and a red pepper. More expensive than the store but no sprays and fresh picked this morning. It's been chilly here in SW Ontario with lots of rain which is great for all the new trees I planted this spring but not so good for the veggies. Lots of tomatoes coming in. They're not ripening as th4ey should, though I've got green beans coming out of my ears.. Beets, carrots and spinach coming up but very slowly.
(1)

Lol, wellllll...I've been in lazy mode, and last night I had a nervous stomach, so it was Special K for me! Followed this morning by immodium. Yikes. Feeling better now though...
(1)

cubicle and kids finally got out of bed . brotchen / brats are gonna happen for lunch today . g girl is a tiny gal but she said she could have wacked a 5 pack of the brats by herself . its been a wonderful trip . even cubehead and i have had more fun than any two grown men oughtta have . we get it on in the kitchen ..
(2)

im up early this am as usual . gonna make a s*itload of fudge cookies here in a few . i wanna take some back to the NH staff . the last time i came ti chi , i wasnt being relieved by cuz on the evening wed prearranged . instead cuz,s family came up from linton and they had a night out planned . they all visited edna for a few minutes , i sent a text , and walked . suddenly the guy whos spent a quality year with edna became the devil . the facts are coming out now and cuz is finding herself despised by a whole bunch of people . im bringing cookies to all those who held back judgement until they could figure it all out . another plateful for the women at AL who had so much confidence in me , only to have it shattered by a pack of lies . if you remember i had spent 6 days with edna while cuz was supposed to be getting NH entry paperwork in order . she wasnt getting it done . lies have a tendancy to swing around and bite ya on the a**.
(0)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter