Follow
Read More
Find Care & Housing
Ha! Looloo its just too easy to open a can!!!!!!! fed up with cooking two different meals every night mum wont it this and that its wrecking my head! if she like fish my life would be so much easier! some days im so bored i will cook up a storm but most times im too tired to think so make an effort for mum and eat what i can! i used to love cooking? But at least shes eating! i just make an effort for her as its all she enjoys right now?
(1)

Kazzaa, I swear I had tuna for lunch every day last week!
(0)

Pasta carbonara for mum and tuna salad for me am turning into a tuna fish! running out of things to eat weight falling off me but feel better with no dairy and wheat!
(0)

FLA - Florida.

Dinner was left over. I arrived home late - past 7pm because I had to buy dad's grape juices and ice cream. The home nurse was here changing his catheter and now shaving dad. While he was shaving him, I started warming up my dinner. Since the livingroom has air con, I decided to bring my dinner in. I ate as he shaved. I was debating if I should offer him food - except we don't have food. Should I offer him the half of my food that I haven't touched with my spoon? Should I give him microwavable dinner. In the end, good manners ruled. I asked him if he wanted to eat. Thank goodness he said no!

Dinner was just left over chicken and corn. Oldest sis beat me to the left over chicken pasta that fave sis dropped off yesterday. Darn! I should have packed it and hid it in my private shelf. Early bird gets the worm. Tired. I will go lie down early - read my paperback book using the small book light.
(2)

Cap i dont know what fla is? and how come you cant see them until next summer?
(0)

na kaz i havent . son gkids and i sure had some kitchen fun in chicago tho .
kids are back home with their mom in fla now . cant see em again till next summer . when the stonework takes off and money is better ill send em a little cash . kids need things too ..
(0)

Cap did you try and make the "clafoutis" yet? its yummy! just an eggy batter but great with cherries! Pastry gives you heartburn!
(0)

eh i just baked me up a cherry pastry tonight . gonna miss these cherries when theyre gone . almost apple canning time though . i think apple cake with walnuts is as good as it gets .. ive about formed the plan to remodel my bunker kitchen but the plan is only half of it -- gotta start stockpiling materials before go time ..
tired today . cut , split , brought home bout 7 rick of wood in the last 2 days .
dam colonoscopy coming up . not a big deal but by the time the procedure is over it takes about 2 back to back fast food meals to get your strength back . im gonna keep my blood sugar up this time if i have to eat out of the sugar bag . screw those hypoglyc headaches ..
(0)

Mexican tacos with guacamole and some new soya crap cream ive yet to try? going to be HOT i shook the jar of chilli and a huge amount came out! dont you hate when that happens still i like hot food will have to tone it down with extra tomato puree!
(1)

those quart of chicken livers didnt come close to sustaining me . im still waiting for the angus cows .. damnt im still hungry ..
(0)

spap is what im sayin ..
(0)

i found the fork damnt . had a beer or 7 with afriend and came back to bats in the bunker . with a busted flyswatter theyre harder to hit but when ya finally hit em theyre screwed .. la la la la life goes on ..
(0)

Just some pasta salad and fruit tonight. It hit the spot, even if it wasn't exciting.
(2)

Physically, mentally and emotionally drained today. Took a Valium and ordered in fried chicken.
(5)

Check the toilet tank.
(0)

ahhh.
ive lost my fork . thats a big deal when you only have one fork ..
(0)

my aunt is 90 and the picture of health but she is going to die from dementia . it simply runs in the family . we have monsterous , english brains / foreheads , but dementia still runs way back to senile , whisk broom nostrils , talking nonstop , fruitbat crazy g- pa ..
(1)

My mother is a major artificial sweetener junkie. And she has a type of dementia that looks much like a mental illness with cognitive impairment. I've tried to figure out which type of dementia it might be -- vascular, Alz, LBD. Nothing really fits. I ran across the discussion of metabolic dementia and thought maybe. I imagine that many people with Diabetes 2 may have a sweet tooth they satisfy with artificial sweeteners. It would be interesting for someone to look at the effect of over-consumption of these sweeteners in people with diabetes.

Strangely enough, nicotine has a protective effect on the brain. It just has a usually-unwanted effect on the vascular system. And smoke has a terrible effect on every body part, particularly the lungs and throat. I've wondered if nicotine patches might help someone with early-stage dementia. I don't know if anyone has looked.
(0)

JessieBelle, this is all new for me. Since my mom and her mother had Alzheimer, I know that I'm a strong candidate of getting it. If eating sweets is going to increase my chances of getting it, I will do my best to cut back. It's bad enough that I don't exercise the way I should. I agree with you about the artificial sweeteners. One never knows until maybe 10 years later - to find out the real side effects of it. The scary thing is that these companies HIDE the true side effects - example cigarettes (nicotine) and lately the big auto industries (who knew about the defective parts and still continued to sell the cars all these years - knowing that several people died because of it.) Or those diet sodas, etc....
(2)

bookluvr, there has been a good bit of work on diabetes and dementia. Some is being done here in Birmingham by a prominent researcher. A research report I read lately linked frequent hypoglycemia with what is called metabolic dementia, which may become permanent if it continues. Hypoglycemia is a problem for people with pre-diabetes and diabetics taking insulin. It is also a problem for people who eat a lot of sweets, since hyperglycemia often over-corrects, causing blood sugar to drop too low.

I'd love to see some work on artificial sweeteners that people with diabetics use. It wouldn't surprise me if the body responds in a way that isn't healthy for the brain. Many older diabetics are addicted to sugar-free treats. I read one time a long time ago -- I don't know if it's true -- that artificial sweeteners can trigger the release of some insulin. What fooled the mouth fooled the pancreas, I guess.
(3)

There's an article in Reader's Digest Feb.2013 issue titled: Can You Eat Your Way to Dementia? Wow. I'm not into reading technical stuff (more into fantasies, fictions). But from what I understand -there is a correlation of sweets, insulin, brain - resulting in diabetes-like illness of the brain. This is all based on the rat experiments. They haven't tried it on humans.

Quoting a few paragraphs from it:
Insulin was typecast as a regulator of blood sugar, cueing muscle, liver and fat cells to extract sugar from the blood & use it for energy or store it as fat. In the brain, it helps neurons take up glucose for energy & regulates neurotransmitters crucial for memory & learning. It also encourages plasticity - the process by which neurons make new connections. As a result, reducing the level of insulin in the brain can immediately impair cognition. Conversely, a boost of insulin seems to improve its functioning.

When people frequently gorge on fatty or sugary food, their insulin spikes repeatedly. Muscle, liver and fat cells stop responding to the hormone & don't mop up the glucose and fat in the blood. As a result, the pancreas desperately works overtime to make more insulin to control the glucose, and levels of the 2 molecules skyrocket.

The theory: These constantly high insulin levels also overwhelm the brain, which then becomes less responsive to insulin, impairing the ability to think and form memories, before leading to permanent neural damage.
- - - - - - - -
I'm already forgetful. I think I better cut back on eating ice cream daily and all those other junk food, and no more drinking soda every night. Just in case this theory has some truths to it.
(1)

Not hungry. Didn't eat breakfast, ate lunch with bro's girlfriend and ... then went to get yogurt for dessert. This is the 3rd time I've eaten with her - and she always needs to have dessert after a meal. I have to pace myself because I don't eat much. After eating all that yogurt, I thought my stomach was too tight and about to burst. I was miserable. I over-ate. Next time, I swear (until I see the menu), I will not stuff myself with lunch. I did try. I was just going to order the kalbi meal. She insisted on getting the more costly option With fried chicken. But she didn't call it fried chicken but some fancy name. It's 1030pm and I'm just not hungry for dinner. I forced myself to eat Cup-o-Noodle soup but couldn't even finish it. I think my stomach is still digesting lunch.
(0)

i had hamburgers with edna about 3 pm . went outside and she was fussing about her long eyebrows . guess who still had scissors in his truck from our last escapade ? i trimmed em outside this time so room mate cant narc us out but dam if we werent caught at it anyway -- but by staff . they love us both and are on our side .
male nurse is gonna treat edna for mouth rthrush again and podiatrist is going to look at her ingrown big toenail . if podiatrist dont fix it we will .. i can see where elder care requires a little bit of guts / brawn / belligerance . too much incompetance in the field .. everybody is afraid of liability ..
i cared for a diabetics toenails for 7 yrs . doc always thought they looked good ..
(3)

lol " SPAM "
thats the nickname my youngest kid and i gave to the exwife when she was divorcing me , trying to make it my fault , cranked out of her gourd and bipolar as a housecat . spam .. she was a static machine ..
i usedta turn the truck radio to static and jake and i would die laughing at our inside joke .
boni,
the dental girl said a few things that trouble me such as, after 15 yrs when am i going to let someone in , shes enjoyed working on / with me , and if i get any more tanned ill have to move out of martinsville . lol
i hate a cheater and would as soon put a bullet in a liars brain stem ( metaphorically ) . we damn agree on that much ..
shes a doll . she can turn me down , im trying to be nice to her .. i can take a kick or two ..
i hope in the next life to return as ikes passenger seat . that sob has a better life than the rockefellers .. i just drive like a sap ..
(0)

oooo I love sauerkraut! It's amazing what meal worthy dishes we can come up with when we're tired....
(2)

I just snacked on cold sauerkraut! It was good too, and I'd do it again :)
(3)

Cheetos....and chocolate ice cream..... and probably Rolaids later on
(3)

Bob........How FREAKIN thoughtful are you! Yes! You will boost her self esteem when she needs it the most. How could she possibly turn you down? I wish ALL men had that extra gentleman gene that you seem to possess!
(0)

Jeanne, our freezer has gone out twice in the last month. My brother bought the part (simple fix) but has not gotten here to fix it yet. ( He had some surgery).

I can only buy enough for a few days because it would KILL me to waste Ice Cream.
Klondike bars were on sale today. (smile) Keep your fingers crossed that the freezer hold up till Sunday!
(1)

Made an "authentic stir fry beef and broccoli with the broccoli from the garden. Used tri tip as the beef which worked well. Might have strawberry shortcake later for dessert as I am pretty full currently.
(3)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter