Follow
Read More
Find Care & Housing
I wish we could post pictures here. Tonight is Fathead Pizza Night at our house.
Recipe link:

Mom is slowly getting on board with eating healthier (meaning lower carbs, less starch and sugars). She has even started to lose some weight, without having to exercise (which is good, because she can't) and she likes most of what I cook. She still bucks me on the fruit juice and fruits, but we've cut way back on them - she used to eat 3-4 bananas a day - now she eats just 1.

This pizza is a *great* substitute for the wheat flour crust pizza that we normally order, with far fewer carbs. The crust actually crisps up like a thin crust pizza would! It's a keeper. :-)
(3)

my oldest son " got me " for the whole wheat brotchen recipe complete with a training lesson this summer . i think ill start locking the door when i sleep now because the boys have no further reason to keep me alive .
(2)

ba8alou, I missed that particular treat, too. It was Swedish meatballs and tater tots on a stick, hand dipped in a corn dog batter, then deep fried. I'm not sure it would be worth the belly space it would take up, but I hope you get to decide for yourself next year!

Tonight I had a huge bag of spinach I wanted to use up, so I made creamed spinach for the first time. It won't be the last.

I intended to to make chicken strips with barbecue sauce (leftover from the pork) but an upscale grocer near us has $3 off their rotisserie chickens on Fridays (5-buck clucks, they call them) and it is hard to pass that up and go for raw chicken. But I did serve it with the homemade sauce. That counts, right?

And I sauteed fresh mushrooms in olive oil and added them and dried cherries to a box of stuffing mix.

It was a pretty impressive dinner for not much money. Only the creamed spinach was a little work, but not too much.
(2)

I understand that there was Fried Hotdish on a stick this year, too at the State Fair. I miss going to that fair every year...maybe next summer.
(0)

pamstegman: You made me smile tonight! Thank you!

What is for dinner! To have one night where we all show joy, and do something small for us "comfort food". Remember everyone cares, and everyone needs love!

Thank you BoniChak

That reminds me, when I was a little girl, I used to like this great dish that my mother made (87 Alzheimer's, in Memory care), it was called Bon Ami? I know that is closed to the cleanser. But it was a mixture of chinese noodles, egg soufle sliced; tomato slices; sliced ham; soy sauce to taste, and bok choy. It was served on a huge platter, and all of my family had this each 10/26. This continued until my mother was 80, and I know she would laugh and smile if I told her about this, which I will tomorrow. My mother was all about comfort. She was the comfort for all of us, that is happy. :-) I am going to ask my sister the recipe and make it tomorrow!!!!
(1)

im canning apples tonight . theyll probably appear in cinnamon rolls this winter but i can use them over pancakes until then . 14 quarts tonight , bout another 14 left to cut up and can .
with the electricity you use i dont think canning is a real bargain , its just soothing to have plenty of preserved food on the place in case there were problems with supply .
(2)

Tonight was strips of pork tenderloin in a homemade spicy barbecue sauce. New and good! Garlic mashed potatoes, a knock-off recipe of Red Lobster's cheese biscuits (awesome) and fresh oranges.

I'm going to try another new recipe tomorrow, for artichoke mushroom beef stew. I'll bet the biscuits would go with that, too. Or I could use some lefse I bought at the state fair.
(0)

That sounds like a great combination, Jeanne. I think we just winged it that night -- had leftover chicken, or something like that...
(0)

looloo, what did you serve with your gazpacho? I'm thinking of cheddar biscuits . . .
(1)

Jeannegibbs -- I did make gazpacho a few nights ago! Perfect summer meal!
(1)

Oh wait. Maybe my favorite was walleye cakes. hmmm ... have to consider that. I'd have them both next year.
(1)

Sounds great, Boni. Reminds me that I need to make some gazpacho while everything is in season.

Yesterday Barb and I went to the state fair. We walked and walked and walked. It is pretty hard to balance the extra exercise and the out-of-the-ordinary eating and the insulin amount needed, but I did pretty good. My favorite food was fried veggies on a stick. (With a tempura-like batter.)
(2)

Home Grown Tomatoes. Tonight on roast beef sandwiches, yesterday chopped with hard boiled eggs, salt and pepper and a blob of Hellmans, the day before with fresh mozzarella, olive oil and fresh basil, BLT's for lunch everyday......you get the picture. Short season, dry season, Enjoying them while I can.
(2)

your supposed to pull your pears green and eat em as they ripen 57 . ya have a longer harvest season that way .
i had garlic bologna sandwiches tonight . found a vine full of tomatos by the kitchen sink drain . yay .
edna had forgotten we cant go truck riding . she said we were out of there and she needed to go to the bank . i had to explain differently to her . " sheeitt " she says . thats edna most extreme language . f*ck the people who imprisoned her . thats my MILDEST language for them .
(0)

my pears are not ripe enough to can yet just started on the tomatoes!
Salmon from Costco, mashed potatoes, Dole chopped salad (bbq ranch tasty!) and the infamous tomato basil mozzarella salad.
(1)

im working on something resembling a diet jeanne . hope to can up several quarts of pears this weekend and ive been eating a can of red beans when i need energy . ive read that legumes are close to the perfect food for us . ive got to get my sleep fixed . i think the ribavirin in the tx knocked my brain chemistry out kinda like speed or cocaine would . lack of sleep is keeping me stressed . the liver does not like stress . been eating storebought pears out of the can too . they seem to bring the muscles to life . probably have 20 quarts of em on my tree . at store cost of a buck a pint , thats 40 bucks worth of canned fruit . got the same amount of apples to can .
im the can - man yes i can yes i can ..
done ate my 11 quarts of cherries . love ( d ) those things .
(1)

I made a comfort food hotdish for dinner. In fact I made two pans, and took one over to a friend's house where the husband has just received a distressing diagnosis. I know how that can throw the household into chaos, and I wanted to provide a familiar "normal" alternative to eating peanut butter out of the jar or simply skipping meals.
(3)

Ice Cream.
(2)

150 lb scarecrows can have heart attacks, too. But, captain, I'm seriously skeptical of the need to restrict the cholesterol we eat. Our bodies make their own cholesterol if we give them the right (wrong) kinds of fats. You could branch out a little in your protein source, though. :D

I didn't have to cook tonight. Granddaughter's husband invited the family over for dinner to celebrate GD's birthday. He might have been inspired by the cookout his BIL gave for his wife's bd a few weeks ago. The pasta, marinara sauce, meatballs, and Italian sausage were fine. What I liked even better was establishing some expectations for men in the family or potentially in the family regarding wives birthdays. (3 grandkids brought dates.)

Tomorrow is set aside for baking all day.
(1)

im having fried chicken livers . doc says they are high in cholesterol -- shes saying that to a 150 lb scarecrow ..
meh ..
(3)

Boy! I'm getting hungry probably have left over chicken fajitas Ole!
(1)

Boy! I'm getting hungry probably have left over chicken fajitas Ole!
(1)

Keeping it easy tonight. Green peppers and eggs on English muffins.....maybe a little cheddar cheese too.
(1)

My friend lives near a great Mexican market, so when I took her home yesterday I stopped in for tomatillos, awesome chorizo, and some cheese and jalapenos. I didn't think ahead to bring a list, but I had enough ingredients today to make a wonderful batch of Chorizo Skillet and Tomatillo Salsa -- both recipes from a class Barb and I took this summer. That is one awesome supper!

The first time I made the salsa I coughed and coughed and choked while the jalapenos and tomatillos were boiling. This time I knew enough to open windows and put on the exhaust fan. I was hugely glad to be able to shut the windows and turn on the AC when they were done!
(1)

Spent the whole day with a long-time friend, in a small town about an hour from here known for its antique stores. I bought a few small objects -- a tea cup, some doilies -- and she didn't buy a thing all day! We were both amazed. I had a steak sandwich, cole slaw, and onion rings for lunch, and a nice salmon salad and breaded mushrooms for dinner. We had a good day!
(3)

Fresh shredded cabbage is a great substitute for lettuce on a sandwich, it has more crunch and it is sweeter. I wish they would use it on sub sandwiches.
(1)

Mmmm corned beef and cabbage - wish it was St Paddy's day!
(1)

Couldn't wait for dinner. I had My first ripe tomato in my BLT for lunch. SO good!
Got a small hanger steak marinating and will make a salad to go with it. Yes, Moms at sisters tonight. I Love to eat in silence!
(2)

Boni, your dinner made me start craving for ribs. And asparagus, too! Too bad it's costly to buy ribs when eating out at restaurants. Dinner tonight was take out. I was craving some Wendy's chili. Last time I got it, it was watery. Tonight, it was so thick and filled with lots of meat and beans. Yum! I'll take thick chili anytime. I also got a side salad - and was able to meet my budget of $5.00. I was full and still have left over chili. I got the wrong salad - this one was just plain leaves and 1 tomato. The last time I got a salad, it was colorful. I'll have to remember to get the Garden salad not the caesar salad.
(1)

Sallie, that sounds absolutely delicious! I'm going to have to try it. I love cabbage, too. :)
(0)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter