BoniChak Posted February 2014

What's for dinner?

Follow

Sorry to say, but this site has been so depressing for a few days. I thought I'd ask an average, everyday question....to make us all feel a little more normal today.

I made Eggplant Lasagna, and my BIL and SIL are coming for dinner. They leave for Cali tomorrow to see their beautiful grand daughter.

Sorry, sometimes we just need some REGULAR conversation.......or at least THIS caregiver does.

Comments

Show:
1 3 5
SharynMMarie Jul 16, 2018
Too hot to cook today, made chicken salad with rotisserie chicken and having sandwiches with a green salad.
(4)

AliBoBali Jul 15, 2018
Dana, I understand! I'm better with cooking these days than a few years ago, but I still make goofs.

Yesterday I was hosting a friend from out of town for the night. I baked some pork chops in onions, diced tomatoes, zucchini slices, greens. The problem was that I didn't defrost chops completely in the refrigerator, so I put them in the microwave to defrost. I didn't take into consideration they were already partially defrosted and put them in for full time of defrost per weight. I ended up partially cooking in the microwave, even while the center of some were still cold and icy. Blah. So of course they cooked very unevenly, and overcooked. They weren't inedible, but it was annoying to serve this to my friend, since I had been doing so much better lately, but I missed the mark on this prep. Oh, well.

She ate it, said she liked the taste. Good enough, I guess. 😝
(2)

Dana235 Jul 15, 2018
I stopped off at Panera today.

Really admire those of you who are such good cooks. I'd have a better chance of learning ancient Greek than of making those work!
Me trying to cook something new:

Stare at recipe in blank incomprehension.
Take a deep breath.
Tell myself I can do this.
Gather ingredients. This requires going to the store, and a Mom sitter, so I put it off and heat some frozen food.
After trip to the store:
Take out ingredients.
Scratch my head.
Do my best to follow the instructions.
Produce something that does not resemble the pretty picture.
Taste it.
Ugh. It has the consistency of cardboard.
Order Chinese food for delivery.

Tell myself, well, at least I tried.  
Hope that next time maybe, just maybe, it will work out.  
Think that some day, I will... I will... I will pass Dinner 101! 
(1)

cwillie Jul 15, 2018
💡💡💡
I love the idea of using an electric fry pan Dusti, there is no way to turn on the gas stove without heating up the kitchen!
(3)

Dusti22 Jul 14, 2018
Love my electric frying pan. Doesn' t heat up the kitchen. Had pork chops, mashed potatoes (cooked them yesterday), corn and cold biscuits. We have two 2.5 gal containers with spouts that go in the fridge. Made one with fruit punch sweetened with Splenda and the other with unsweet tea. Tomorrow salad and something light. Going to be hot out.
(1)

pamzimmrrt Jul 14, 2018
We are drowning in banana peppers.. hubs always plants a ton of them.. tonight I stuffed some with a cheese mixture and we are going to try them.. you bake them and we are having periogies with them
(3)

gladimhere Jul 14, 2018
Ming s HOT! About 12 days of near 100 degree temps. Too much for me too. Band festival this weekend, it is so darn hot I think I will just stay in.

Though there are all sorts of food trucks there maybe just a short trip for dinner. Oh, maybe not. I have makings for gazpacho. Mmmmmm. Yes a mom recipe if I can find it. Oh daughter 2 took a picture of it a couple of months ago. Try that before I start hunting.
(2)

Becky04473 Jul 14, 2018
Glad, Home Ec teacher was my career goal. University cancelled Home Ec programs and that’s how I ended up in Psychology😕 I’ll bet she did have great recipes.🙂 How’s Ming?
(3)

gladimhere Jul 14, 2018
Lucky, yes mom was a great cook and the hostess with the mostest. She had many magical recipes, she was a home ec teacher. 😁
(2)

cwillie Jul 14, 2018
This sounded good until I got to the mayonnaise - that sounds kind of weird to me 🤔, but if you say it's yummy I believe you!

I always liked my mom's good china and have inherited and it by default since it was moved into my house along with all of the other things we kept from the farm. Paper plates are easier though.
(2)

1 3 5

Related
Questions

Related
Articles