What's for dinner?

Started by
Read More

4247 Comments

jeanne, Check out Chop Suey on wiki. Not the best source, I know, but the history is interesting.

emjo, I'm on the squeeze side of things, in a freshly laundered dish towel. Makes for crispy latkes. Time for bed and now I'm hungry! Food dreams....
I agree, many times we need to ask serious questions but from time to time it is nice to just talk about something a bit simplistic.....

My daughter and I ran to a restaurant called "The Stand" and picked up Pulled Pork and Beef Brisket sandwiches for a change. It was nice to get out of the house and bring home something for everyone to eat that was not the "same ole, same ole!"

I have to tell you I fixed a very easy dinner the other night that some of you might be interested in..... Using a crock pot, take some thawed chicken breasts (4) and cut them in about 3 pieces each and toss them in. Take a can of cream of chicken soup and cream of celery soup and wisk with a can of broth. It will be a bit thick but don't worry. Turn crock pot on high and cook for about 5 hours. Make mashed potatoes or white rice. I made the potatoes and when it is done you put down a scoop of potatoes and then cover it with cooked chicken and the soup becomes a gravy. Add salad or some veggies and you are done. Crock pots are great as they cook while you go about your daily chores. Pressure cookers are my new favorite as well especially during cold weather.
emjo- I have made them once and I definitely squeezed the moisture out!
I learned to make them with the moisture squeezed out with a clean dish towel, but Gary's family makes them with the moisture left in. I used a little corn starch to bind them as well as eggs and onion and they were fine. Maybe not quite as lacy....
Oh, latkes I was first thinking lefse. EMJO, I'm sure knows it, also Scandinavian.
We had chicken pot pies, Marie Calendars from the frozen section and a green salad. Nothing like chicken pot pies in -15 temp today! Old fashioned comfort food. Does anybody have Marie Callendars restaurants any more? They have all closed here.
Ismiami.....I liked "blasts of wine" better......lol....... ;)
My husbands Mom's family are Lithuanian and I was introduced to their food when I met him.. Yummy.. I love it all.. Similar to Polish , But don't tell them that! LOL. Potato pancakes are my favorite. They have to be thin and fried a golden brown!! You should have seen their faces when I put ketchup on mine in stead of sour cream!!

I'm Irish so the only thing my Mom did with a potato was boil or mash!!
I just made Tollhouse cookies (which where invented the next town over) and tonight I will be making Tacos... I don't like them but my husband and daughter do. So Mom and me will be having leftover american chop suey...
My son taught me an easy recipe. Place chicken (any parts you like) in a crockpot, cover with a jar of salsa. Add a little water. Cook all day. Serve over rice or noodles, sprinkle with shredded cheddar and throw on some avocado or sour cream if you want.
Tonight is one of those rare days when my sister took mom for the day, and is keeping her for dinner! Wooo Hoooo! I will be having Steak (mom hates it) and salad with blue cheese dressing (mom hates it).
More important than WHAT I am eating, is that i can watch what I want to watch on TV, and at a volume level that doesn't blow out my ears!
Cherry Vanilla Ice Cream for desert!
It's gonna be a good night! :)

Keep the conversation going (or start a new one)

Please enter your Comment

Ask a Question

Reach thousands of elder care experts and family caregivers
Get answers in 10 minutes or less
Receive personalized caregiving advice and support