Follow

Be careful and make plans in writing. An elderly neighbor passed away. Her lifelong companion, an 8 year old Peke was left behind. While she was alive our neighbor repeatedly said she wanted her dog to stay close to home and left instructions that the dog go to her daytime helper and little daughter.

Another neighbor, who is a bully contacted the children of the deceased and said she knew their mother would want her to have the dog. After parading it around the neighborhood to ostensibly show how wonderful she was, the dog quickly became an irritant to her was kept in a crate in the garage and she gave it to a friend of her own daughter. Each time the caretaker who loved the dog (and the dog loved her back) calls to 'visit' the dog the woman who supposedly has the dog goes into a tizzy and they have to 'sneak' the dog back into the condo complex for the visit. She then dispatches the dog back to the friend in a crate.

It's very sad and a reminder that you have to be very specific as to what is really acceptable for your pet and write out who you DON"T want to get your pet.

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
You brought up a very important point regarding anyone who has a pet(s). The pet is an extension of the owner thus should get as good as care as given by the owner.

Sadly most people don't put in writing what should be done with a pet. I know I haven't, I just assume my sig other will care for our cats if I should pass or vise versa.... guess we need to talk about what happens if both of us go at the same time or if we both are in a continuing care facility.
(0)

This is a great post. I had a Corgi once, who was the only dog of an elderly couple, from the time she was a puppy. They loved her dearly, but both of them passed away within a short time of each other. The daughter-in-law received the dog somehow, but absolutely hated her. (I have no idea how she could hate such a cute little sweetie!) She dumped her in a pound, and from there, the rescue organization picked her up, and then I took her. She lived out her days with me, in a loving home. Unfortunately, that's not always the case for pets when their owner dies.
(0)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter