Follow

Dad has a black toe (second toe, right foot). Did wound care (once a week in office). Dad is getting weaker every week. Had home care nurse come in twice a week (for further treatment). Started at-home IV antibiotics. Did testing on blood flow. Meanwhile, toe is getting worse. The Dr wants to do angiogram. News on toe now, it's self amputating. Angiogram scheduled. We show up for test, kidney functions are not good. The hospital keeps him for a week. Following week test rescheduled. Test goes well, ballooned out couple of arteries (yay). Dad off to rehab, to rebuild strength lost. Came home from rehab (a couple of days ago). Last week, before leaving rehab, noticed a spot on second toe of left foot (dad is almost 97). Do I treat (again) or just let it run its course? Just looking for outside options?

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
My mom's surgeon doesn't want to amputate the top of her toe since she has PAD. Recommended an angiogram, but let's us know that it might not be successful and then they may still have to amputate.
The angiogram is very costly, I am lost in making a decision. Can I insist they amputate the toe rather than waiting for the infection to spread?
Any advice?
(0)

What on earth is a 'self-amputating toe'?? A toe that falls off on its own??

At some point, I think you have to stop taking medical interventions on dad's behalf, at close to 97, and call in hospice to keep him comfortable and relaxed as he approaches the end of his life.

Wishing you the best of luck with a difficult situation. It's always hard to make the 'right' call in such cases, I know.
(0)

All this deteriorating phenomenon has to do with the approach of the end of life.
(0)

Outside options might include getting an assessment for hospice. They might be able to suggest improvements to your own care, as well as to give you an idea about help that you might use in the future. You don’t have to take it up now (or at all) if you don’t want to. Best wishes to you all, Margaret
(0)

I would get him treated since he did so well with the right foot.

Unless it is just to hard on him and the doctors are saying this is an indication that he is nearing the end.
(1)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter