Follow
Read More
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
Something that disturbs me more than individual "advice" (to which I don't pay any attention unless the person has/had academic and work credentials), is the trend toward self appointed experts, who lack academic training but feel free to dispense the wisdom they feel they've gained from...whatever..who knows?  

As tech devices provide more options, people seem to be segueing to them.    This especially applies to all the nonsense being tweeted, blogged, or people making videos of themselves alleging or exhibiting some superior insight or skill, ranging from cooking, cleaning, health, or whatever.  

This also applies to the "talking heads" on tv.  

Fifteen minutes of fame has segued into infinite need for attention, or perhaps reinforcement.  

Much as I love PBS for its unique specials and emphasis on culture, I will NEVER watch any of the self appointed experts, even if they are medical people.   They're really hawkers, of their own alleged accomplishments, and selling it for their own profit, contemporary "carpet baggers".  

If they were that serious about helping people, they might consider joining something like Doctors Without Borders and helping people who can't afford to dress up and sit and listen to doctors hawking their own ideas and alleged creations.

But the corollary to this is that people listen to these flim-flam artists, so the question becomes why are people so vulnerable?   I remember the rewarding experience of going to libraries to do research, seeing all the books that could be read if someone had the time, and finding it exciting.   Now that's primarily available online so it's easier to learn for oneself.     So why don't people learn for themselves instead of falling for con artists?
(2)

Anche,

She is unique in many ways! LOL
(0)

Oh my goodness! I actually had read something about the Gwyneth Paltrow's candle. I have just removed it from my brain!
(3)

cwille, haha

Will look that up.
(0)

Anche,

Yes, an actress. She’s very trendy. Has an interesting outlook on life in general.

An alternative thinker.
(0)

Just google outrageous goop claims (goop is her brand, and I just learned she's bringing it to Netflix - yay 🙄)
(1)

Living in Italy, I must have missed what Gwyneth Paltrow is doing/saying... Isn't she an actress anymore? Has she turned into some kind of guru? What kind of advice does she give?
(1)

There are good coaches and bad ones. The bad ones are all about money.
I found a really good one that actually has good advice. I just need to implement it, that's the hard part.
(1)

Ohlas1,

I agree, I especially like your key words, “if you find a good one.”

We have to take help from where we can receive it. I am cautious and even skeptical in today’s world.

I despise phony people. There are lots of people looking to take advantage of vulnerable people. Very sad.
(0)

“Life coaches” if you find a good one can be like mentors and very helpful.

while I have never done it, I know sound minded professionals that tried formal help and it didn’t work, but life coach has really helped them.

some people need that help, layman guidance.
(1)

I like almond milk but I buy the unsweetened. The sweetened variety isn’t good. It contains a significant amount of sugar.

I drink it. Put it on oatmeal and cereal too. I also use almond flour and almond butter.
(1)

Almond milk is one I choke on. For one thing, you can’t milk an almond, for another thing most of them have less than 5% almond and the rest is basically water and sugar.
(0)

Someone actually told me about my mom listening to music. I love music, so does mom but music will not cure Parkinson’s disease! Plus mom is nearly deaf! So listening to music isn’t an option.

Music is relaxing and can be therapeutic but will not take away Parkinson’s. I nearly choked on my coffee at her kitchen table.

We are always going to hear foolishness. I agree about Gwyneth.
(5)

I’m in complete agreement with you, cwillie - about ole Gwyneth and her Goop nonsense.

In general - and honestly, I’m not a fan of making generalizations about any particular segment of population - BUT...
In general, taking life advice from those born with a silver spoon in their mouth - who’s idea of a rough time is not being able to find a match to light their $65 candle for their bubble bath - well, that’s just never a good idea. In my opinion, of course.
(6)

Using essential oils instead of chemotherapy to treat my cancer.

I'm not against oils, I just didn't think the 2 women in my neighborhood could concoct a 'blend' of oils to be ingested (!) and rubbed on my body to do the job that many years of science could do.
(7)

Pretty much any advice coming from Gwyneth Paltrow 😖
(11)

The advice from a certain church movement (or movements) to pray for the resurrection of a dead toddler was/is the worst.
The belief that we are gods and can speak things into existence is another lie. imo.
(2)

To me, the juicing celery was a bad idea. I was deceived.
I did not know it was just a fad.
(1)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter