Follow

I remember being in the hospital after a four hour long surgery and I had a catheter placed in me for a few days afterwards.

I was in horrible pain and discomfort. I told my nurse that I had to use the bathroom. She tells me. “No you don’t. You have a catheter inside you and you aren’t allowed out of the bed right now. You just think that you have to use the bathroom.”

So, I repeat to my nurse that I am truly in pain and I know when I have to pee. She repeats back to me, “You don’t have to use the bathroom.” Once again, I tell her that I am miserable!

She finally says, “I don’t understand but let me check it out.” Turns out that my tube had a kink in it preventing the flow of urine. She then said, “I am so sorry, your tube is kinked. I will fix it.” I felt immediate relief as the backed up urine flowed into my catheter tube and I thanked her for fixing the issue!

This was a very minor problem to solve but I was incredibly uncomfortable! LOL

Another time though, I had just had an in vitro fertilization procedure done. I was instructed to lie perfectly still for twenty minutes while on the gurney. My nurse decided to move me to another spot in the room. The back of the gurney wasn’t secure and when she moved it I plummeted really fast and hard to a horizontal position. I remember thinking that there goes the $10,000 that I just spent on that procedure! I was in complete shock. Of course, it was an accident. My nurse apologized a million times. I felt horribly for her and myself knowing that my procedure wasn’t covered by insurance. That mishap hurt!

Well, I finally conceived many years later, after all of my years doing fertility treatments, after adopting our first daughter, and so on. It was a rough pregnancy. I ended up with an emergency C section because my doctor accidentally flipped the baby while checking her position. Trust me, it’s upsetting to hear your OB/GYN say, “Oooops!” 😆 LOL I am glad that I can laugh about these incidents now.

The craziest incident that I laughed hysterically about was with my brother. As most of you know, he was a lifelong addict. So, it was difficult to put him under for surgical procedures. He didn’t always stay knocked out. Plus, they had to give him so much that it took him forever to come out of the anesthesia.

Anyway, I took my brother to get polyps removed. They put him under and he woke up during surgery and was watching his doctor on a monitor. He says to the doctor, “So, that is what the inside of my a**hole looks like!” 😂 LOL, the doctor was not amused and started screaming to put him under immediately so he could finish removing the polyps!

As stressful as it was to take care of my brother, there were some moments that I couldn’t do anything but laugh. He died shortly before he turned 70 but I swear that he was a cat with nine lives. He should have died many, many times. They say that God looks after fools and drunks. Well, He certainly looked after my brother for many years!

My friends who are nurses tell me their wild stories that go on during surgeries. that the patient never hears about!

I couldn’t find a good category for this. I placed it under mental health because I feel it’s very healthy to maintain a good sense of humor!

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
I get feelings I should call someone. I usually trudge the feeling off and tell myself later. Of course later never comes. But then I find that I should have made that call because I find something has happened in that persons life.

This happened yesterday. I was on FB and thought of a woman who I met on an internet group. We have kept in touch and I realized she had not posted lately. So I messaged her. She answered me right away that her DH had passed away at 3am the following morning. She was on her way to bed.
(0)

I don’t know how these things happen. I do believe God lets our loved ones and close friends contact us from time to time. I’m sure some people roll their eyes and say “Yeah. Right!” My wife’s step-father was a fanatic about washing pots and pans. They were almost better than new. I often commented to my m-I-l I wouldn’t help him wash dishes because of that. He passed away and several days later, at my house, I was washing a skillet. Suddenly I sensed him by my right shoulder. He said to me “That’s not clean enough. Clean it again.” Then he was gone. Better believe I cleaned that skillet again!

I would like to hear from others experiencing similar things.
(3)

hallah,

That’s amazing! I don’t know how I would react if I felt a spirit was in my bedroom. I do believe you. I have heard of stories like this. I just haven’t experienced it myself.
(1)

I was a witness to an experience my wife had some years ago. A good friend of ours at church had passed away and my wife felt badly because she wasn’t able to see him before he died. Some time later we had gone to bed and had just fallen asleep when my wife woke me up saying “There’s someone in our bedroom.” I wasn’t startled or afraid; I saw no one. She must have been dreaming, I thought. The next day I asked if she remembered anything from last night. “Yes. “B” came in to my side of the bed and told me he was ok and for me not to feel badly not visiting with him.” I’ve had a couple experiences myself so I know it wasn’t a dream.
(3)

Maple,

Your story gave me chills! It is proof that you had a strong bond with her. She trusted you.
(1)

Pam,

That’s amazing! It makes me wonder how often this happens. Do you wonder that too? Thanks for sharing your unusual experience.
(1)

Many years ago, I was good friends with one of the supervisors in another office. I was one of the first people
hw and his wife told about an unexpected pregnancy 8 years after their youngest child hab been born. I always felt a special bond with this little girl, and whenever I was TDY to that office, I always had a few minutes to visit with her.
Fast forward 11 years. "C" was diagnosed with diffuse pontine glioma, inoperable malignant brain tumors. She underwent a grueling treatment of radiation, but it was not effective. She had to have a shunt put in to drain fluid from her brain, and she started to slip away. I kept in touch with her parents thru Caring Bridge.
About 6 weeks after her 13th birthday, I woke up crying, just overwhelmed with sadness. I looked at the clock (it was 1:07am). A golden light filled my bedroom, and I heard "C" say, Don't cry, I'm fine, it's okay
When i for up that morning, I didn't look at Caring Bridge. I thought as long as I didn't look, then she would still be alive
About 3pm that afternoon a mutual friend called to say "C" had passed away at 1:05am
I know her spirit came to tell me so I wouldn't be sad.
(9)

I have only mentioned this to a few people,, but when my mom was on hospice and in the bed in the rec room, and I was sleeping ? on the couch by her. I swear I heard a mans voice ask if he "could come in", Now my mom is comatose, just hanging on by the grace of god. Not having said a word in 4 days.. It was not my Dads voice ( I may have expected that ) but very comforting all the same. And my Mom had said many times she was ready to go be with my Dad and brother. As I was sleepily saying yes, come in.. she shouted NO! She hung on 2 more days and I am still freaked out by this! My BFF had spent many days at Moms side to give me a break, and she is very religious,, I was afraid to tell her about this. I did later.. we both think it was a higher power coming to take her home.. but she was just not ready yet. Mom was sort of peeved at God for taking my dad first, and his ALZ,, so this is something I can see her doing. However she did pass peacefully . I still get chills thinking about this.
(7)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter