Follow
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
Sorry but the first paragraph of my post was deleted for some reason. I also said you can Google daughtersofnarcissisticmothers.com and read a lot of information about this subject. This information can apply to mothers or fathers and it is a good picture of what many people deal with and how to recognize narcissistic behaviors.

My mom has many of the behaviors I have read about and so did my father. He was a classic narcissist, only interested in himself, being right and disregarding anything anyone else thought or said. Mom is jaw dropping in her disregard for my or anyone else's feeling and has absolutely no empathy for anyone.

I was always amazed that two narcissists could marry each other. But after alot of reading and research I realize that they fit together like to odd pieces of a puzzle. He the agressive one, she the victim. Just nutty. Good luck to you.
(0)

A doctor would have to give your parent a diagnosis. There are so many comments on this site about this subject. I have read many of them and came to the conclusion that my mother was narcissistic. She fit too many of the descriptions, even made some of the same comments.

And you can forget getting a parent to see a doctor about this, they never admit anything is wrong with them, just you. They never change. So it is up to you to learn how to deal with them. There is alot of good information out there as to how to set boundaries and disengage with them. I read Nina Brown's book about the narcissistic family. Was an eye opener for me and my dysfuncitonal family. Good luck. Let us know how it goes. This is a very difficult thing to deal with.
(0)

Narcissistic behavior is characteristic of a mental disorder in which people have a deep need for admirationan and an inflated sense of their own importance. Those with narcissistic personality disorder believe that they're superior to others and usually have little regard for other people's feelings. They are "sensitive" to criticism and have very fragile self esteems.
(0)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter