Follow

Note: There aren't appropriate topic to place this discussion under, so I choose depression. Which I guess is the polar opposite of happiness? but the topic is about happiness and not depression.

Is it a state of mind?

Is it because you have a loving partner? (and your happiness depends on that)

Is it having fun? (isn't that temporary, unless you have a loving partner)

Do funny things like joke make you happy? (again, isn't that temporary)

Is happiness when people have found new love? the feeling people get at the beginning of a possible long lasting relationship with a view that this will bring long-term happiness.

Are having children happiness? watching them grow, getting them married, having grandchildren.

What if you don't have any of the above and never will? can you still be happy.

How much importance do you put into making other people happy, outside of your inner-circle's. Are you only happy when you form a group?

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
1 2 3
Oldage,

I agree that there should be a reply spot in discussions, just like in questions.

poodle,

It’s perfectly normal not to be happy at times. Thanks for your honesty about how you feel. I despise Pollyanna types of people who only pretend to be happy when they are miserable inside due to their circumstances.
(1)

I’m unhappy. Best wishes to us all.
(2)

It's strange that they call this part of the forum a discussion section when you can't actually reply to anyone individually.

Dconrad.

You have a lot of caring to do, as do all other people who have a heavy workload from caring for others. I can relate in some ways, especially if you're doing it all on your own.

Doing one caring role is draining enough; doing two or more at all hours of the day leaves very little left in the tank.

When people are getting tired and stressed from caring for someone at the level you are, it's easy to see why people in this situation can't feel happy. Very little time goes into doing things in their own lives that make them happier.

I think, where possible, sharing the load with other family members or health care professionals helps us get back more time to care for ourselves (me time) and makes us feel better.

For folks that are caring the way you are, I suppose being happy for the goodness (caring) you give to others helps a little, but I agree we all need our own personal happiness too.

I too am like others; I wish for it to be back in my life again one day.
(5)

Happiness is very foreign to me too.
(2)

Happiness is foreign to me too. But I would be happy to get a full nights sleep. I leave my brothers about 11 at night and he calls me at 3, 5 and 7, to change his diaper. He can’t do for himself. Then I’m back about 10:30 in the morning. People wonder why I don’t live there, but I need whatever time I can get to myself. It’s been probably 2 years now, everyday. Did I mention that I care for my 96 year old mother too. At least in the same house.
(4)

Happiness is something very foreign to me these days. I hope to see it again soon.
(5)

For starters lack of any chronic physical pain.

That is not likely so I will go with the overall well being and health for my children and grandchildren.
(3)

venting,

Hahaha 🤣 I second that!
(2)

All rude + dishonest people shipped off to another planet.
(3)

Living in overlapping, hanging paradise gardens wouldn't be bad either.
(3)

Here's my altered ego version of happiness:

No nose, ear or some case (lip hair)
Stop aging at 25... ok maybe 30
Lots of money
Big massive house
Big massive car and sports cars
Endless romantic encounters.
Endless supply of quality wine you and beer you can drink.
Endless supply of quality food.
Living in a paradise garden
(4)

I've been thinking about this question, a lot. The comic strip "Pearls Before Swine" says this, in today's paper:

"Nothing makes us happy. Things happen as they will and we choose how to react. Because while events are not in our control, our reaction to them is."

Sums it up perfectly!!
(6)

🙂

Happiness is
...listening to your man sing emotionally with his terrible voice.
(1)

😉

Happiness is
...buying some happiness.
(1)

🙂

Happiness is
...waking up in the morning with a cat on your head.
(4)

Kathleen,

My favorite stuffed animal was a sock monkey. Loved him! I don’t think I gave him a name.
(2)

❤️

Happiness is
...suddenly realizing that you don't need to worry about the thing that was really worrying you.
(7)

😉

Happiness is
...hard to master, particularly other people's happiness.
(2)

Being fortunate to have people who love and care about you and treat you well .
(5)

And when that loving partner develops Alzheimer’s and isn’t the same person happiness dies.
(4)

As a child of about 9 I received a stuffed animal as a present from my brother for Christmas and named him “happiness”. It may seem silly now but upon reflection I say happiness is feeling loved by someone you love.
(6)

Happiness means knowing that the most important relationship that we have is with ourselves.
(3)

❤️

Happiness is
...being proud of who you are.
(3)

😉

Happiness is
...having friends with the same mental disorder as you.
(1)

🙂

Happiness is
...friends who make the effort to cheer you up when you're feeling down.
(2)

😉

Happiness is
...when your man realizes you were right all along.
(1)

🙂

Happiness is...walking alone smiling.
(2)

❤️🙂

Happiness is
...finding something superb in the fridge, late at night.
(0)

❤️🙂

Happiness is
...your friend getting into trouble for talking in class, and not you.
(1)

Happiness is reading bundleofjoy’s jokes on AgingCare’s joke thread!

Happiness is reading that AgingCare member. LeaLonnie no longer has cancer! Yay! 😊
(4)

1 2 3
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter