What I wish the medical professionals ....

Follow

... did, knew, said, understood about caring for elders.

Personally, I'd love to see a roundtable discussion with MedPros on one side and family/full-time caregivers on the other. Short of that (since I don't see that happening any time soon), I'll start with a few items on my list ...

- Don't assume all elders act/respond the same
- Assume the caregivers probably know more than you do about THIS patient

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.

Comments

Show:
1 2 3 4 5
I think Ms Lynne forgot the motherhood and apple pie in her white paper summary. The big question is HOW to achieve that reliable system. That help she promises - who's going to do it? And who's paying?
(0)

Well Hell!!!! DrK, was looking forward to your input and insights..... hope you at least continue to read different threads on this site... sending you hugs and hope your endeavors are successful...
(1)

LadeeC & Veronica91: Am only now realizing that I missed a few of your comments earlier; sorry about that.

Well, what can I say. As I mentioned when I first posted some comments here, I’m visiting and here to learn. Also as I mentioned, I wish I could participate indefinitely in such a forum, but probably can’t, and didn’t want to give you the impression that I could.

I’m a bit sad to realize that I’ve accidentally made some people uncomfortable. I do greatly admire the work all caregivers do, and appreciate having had this opportunity to learn from this community. Take care and thank you!
(1)

LadeeM .. what Veronica said, and .. if medPros (in general) come onto the forums hoping to strike up a profitable relationship, I guess that's just part of the game, but it strikes me wrong. It seems more like a distanced relationship, rather than becoming part of a community. Not sure my words are conveying my concern, but ..... there ya have it. It's sort of like this: I'm **really** good at what I do, it's my vocation and am paid for it .. if I came here, doled out advice and expected some kind of compensation, everyone on here would basically smack me over the head and tell me to get over my own dam*ed self, right?

Just because a medPro has more education and experience in the field (debatable considering my years, but, meh), doesn't exclude them from being a welcome part of the community .. but preferably on the same level as everyone else.
(0)

No matter what we do, over the next 20 years most geriatric care will have to be provided by non-geriatricians: general internists, family practice docs, NPs, and of course lots of family caregivers. So, I am all for encouraging people to go into geriatrics but really think we must focus on making geriatric care more doable for all involved.

This is rather wonky, but this RAND white paper by Joanne Lynn describes some practical reforms for the nation to consider.
"A reliable care system that helps the chronically ill elderly live well at the end of life would make seven promises: correct medical treatment, reliable symptom relief, no gaps in care, no surprises in the course of care, customized care, consideration for family situation, and help as needed to make the best of every day. "
http://www.medicaring.org/whitepaper/

Good stuff but of course it's always hard to make change in healthcare :(
(0)

LadeeM
We are freely sharing amongst ourselves information we have learned from training and experience. We are not picking each others brains so some day we can go off and write a book, text book or novel about the information gleaned here. As soon as some one mentions they can not visit very often because their time is not being paid for (funded) we wonder just why they are here. People come and go as we all will. Some just ask a question and move on others stay and become friends. Some have been through such a horrendous caregiving experience that once it is over they have PTSD and this site reminds them so much of what they went through it is healthier for them not to visit. Do you see what we were getting at.
That is why Agingcare has a policy of not allowing members to direct traffic to personal web sites where they may be conducting money making activities. There are ads on this site as there has to be income generated to pay the moderators and experts and maintain the site itself but I bet no one is getting rich.
(0)

LadeeC and Veronica...... what are your concerns about DrK???? In what ways may we possibly be being 'used'.....
(0)

I wish they wouldn't cancel apointments, especially if the elderly rely on their adult child to drive them to the appointments. The majority of these adult children have to schedule these appointments around their work schedule. Some take an unpaid day off. There is nothing more irritating than taking an unpaid time off in advance only to find out the appointment has been rescheduled.
(1)

OK LadeeC Now I understand. Sometimes it simply impossible not to have strong feelings for and about the patient, it is still very important to maintain professional standards
(0)

level of separation .. emotionally.
(0)

1 2 3 4 5
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Related
Questions