Follow
Read More
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
When my husband and I took care of my mom with Alzheimer's, it was the little things that meant a lot. I even wrote a book about our travails: "My Mother Has Alzheimer's and My Dog Has Tapeworms: A Caregiver's Tale." So here, I'll tweak the lyrics of "On the Twelve Days of Christmas" to highlight some of these things: "On the 12 days of Christmas, my true love gave to me: coffee in a mug, a gentle, knowing hug, he helped me watch my mom, which helped me be nice and calm, he'd watch her for an hour, so I could take a shower, he gave me an understanding wink, and flowers that were pink, he watched her while I was mopping, and when I'd go shopping, he was thoughtful and kind, which gave me peace of mind. and an ink "cartridge" in a pear tree. The cartridge was so I could write my book, I'd rather write than cook. Happy Holidays everyone.
(9)

If I am going to dream BIG
If I am going to be selfish then I want to re do my bathroom, that also means having the floors redone in the house. (open concept ranch). And since the house is handicap accessible I want the floors one of the engineered ones that can remain wet for 24 hours. And since the floors and the bathroom are going to be done I would have to paint the house (inside).

If I am going to dream BIG
If I am not going to be selfish..then I want the COVID vaccine to work. I want to not have to wear a mask. I want to get back to my "real" routine of volunteering for Hospice.

If I just want a regular what do I want for Christmas wish then I really do not want anything, I don't truly need anything My wish then would be for ................
I have been sitting here trying to think of something I want and I really can't think of a thing I need. (other than to lose the COVID 19 that I have put on)
(1)

I want to cruise again. A nice 12-night cruise where Covid-19 is a thing of the past.
I want Christmas dinner to be one where my daughters are not snarky with comments.
I want to finally start working on my scrapbook and have my granddaughter do it with me. I want my mother to have a pain free day. Like you all, more stuff, I don't need.
(3)

God bless all of you. You make me smile; sometimes a happy smile, sometimes a sad smile. I read every day how you are all coping in your day-to-day lives and pray for each and every one of you. All I want for Christmas is time. Time to be with my husband, time to relax, time to enjoy the quiet. Love you all!
(5)

Be kind to yourself first, understand that we are human and can only do so much. It’s really tough when LO don’t show appreciation and gratitude as much as we’d like, or need. Remember that our LO are also experiencing stress, fear, pain, anxiousness and exhaustion. They often lash out at us b/c it’s safe to (we’re family). That doesn’t make it ok; it complicates the heck out of things, but it’s why we take the brunt of it sometimes. So do what you can, but remember you have to care for yourself first and foremost- whether it’s making some time for the little things, or doing something on a grander scale. We WILL make it and live our lives with compassion, kindness and some mistakes along the way, but we WILL MAKE IT!!
(6)

I want to go away for a week all by myself -- to Disney World. To be in the bubble where everything is happy and peaceful and music plays all around me and I can take my time to savor the experience. A trip where I don't have to look for the next beer, the next bathroom, the next sit-down seafood meal. In fact, I've promised myself that if I am still young enough after he is gone, I am selling the house, buying a little camper, and hitting the road. Florida will be destination #1 and then from there I will travel the country and visit all my online friends who have kept me sane for the last 20+ years.
(13)

Just 1 day of peace with my bipolar, narcissistic wife, who also has advanced vascular dementia.. Just 1 day when no matter what I do, it's never good enough. Just 1 day without some kind of a complaint, without demeaning remarks. I have been doing all of the laundry, cooking, cleaning, yardwork, and raising our now 18 Y/O son for at least 14 years.

No, I not asking for 3 or 4 days, just 1 total. I am her primary caretaker, and she NEVER see's anything good in what I do. If she wakes me at 3:00 a.m. to change her diaper, I didn't get up fast enough.( I 66 Y/O with chronic back pain since an injury in 1996, so I move slowly.) When I bring her a meal, it is either too hot or not hot enough, too much salt or not enough, to spicy or not enough spices.

She has been begging to try going without her catheter since June. I got her Dr. to agree to her going to a urologist to be tested to see if she can GO with the catheter> Guess what? I didn't make it happen fast enough! She doesn't think I worked hard enough to get the referral set up or the Dr's appointment soon enough.( How am I supposed change the Dr's appointments so that they can fit her in tomorrow?

No wait, I don't need a whole day. How about just one, you can count that on your pinky finger, just 1 small Thank for all the work I do.

Well I got that off my chest anyway!!!
(14)

I want my husband to be well enough after chemo treatment to take a small trip and not have to worry about his immune system and covid. I want the drama and histrionics of moving my sister to assisted living to be over. I want a little peace and relaxation where I can concentrate on my own health (recurrent bladder cancer, recurrent lung cancer, and NA Cirrhosis of the Liver.) I want more years with my husband. 44 is not enough, I am greedy.
(8)

Beatty,

It makes me feel better knowing people are pulling for them.

I appreciate your kindness and warmth.

Thank you from the bottom of my heart.
(4)

Need, I want your family to be well too (((hugs)))❤️
(5)

My husband is half way though his radiation. His oncologist says, “So far, so good.”

I want my husband to be successful at beating his cancer.

I want my cousin and niece to beat Covid. My niece is in Georgia and my cousin is in D.C.

They aren’t doing so well at the moment.

I always want the very best for my daughters.

I’m ready for 2020 to end. Out with the old year and in with the new year!

Happy Holidays, everyone!
(14)

I want a one story house with a screen-in porch and it should have lots of land and a pond. This way I can have two donkeys, chickens, ducks and a dog to go with my kitties. I also want some furit trees and a garden. And seems how I am going all out, I want to live in a warmer state as well!! A girl can have a dream! That's mine!!

However, I would just be happy to not live with my mother anymore, whatever that should look like...
(16)

And of course fluffy warm socks! Always a favorite.
(7)

I bought myself, on eBay, second hand, two lovely coffee table art books. I love them!
(5)

Glad, good question, and a nice diversion from caregiving topics.

Highest desire would be global - peace, Covid vaccines that really work and don't have side effects, especially for those with allergies that cause anaphylaxis.   At the same level would be an end to the political games and focus on what those people were elected to do:  represent us and not manipulate for power.

Realistically, I've decided I need some motivation to get moving.  So I'm buying a new pair of ballet slippers (not toe shoes) to encourage me.   Just wearing them makes me feel more confident and graceful.

And since I'm I'm buying for myself, I can be greedy, so I'm buying sheet music for some of my favorite music.    But I have to go through my inventory first b/c some of the scores on my list are in my existing library; I haven't played in so long I've forgotten what I had.    

Perhaps the most desirable would be John Lennon and Yoko Ono's Give Peace a Chance.    A lot of politicians could benefit from heeding this advice.

Oh, and perhaps most important, I need to get a new car.   Mine has holes in the floor, is rusting out, and I'm leary about driving it in snow or rain b/c of the backsplash.   I just absolutely hate shopping for a car.  

Barb, how did you find your personal trainer?  Do you interview, discuss training plans, etc.?   I've wondered how this works. 
(7)

A SmartWatch. It's coming Wednesday.

I also got myself a personal trainer at the Y, which is what led to the SmartWatch.

Taking care of my physical health is going to be my "job" from now on.
(15)

Definitely a vacation. It’s not happening, but it'd be my wish
(6)

I've never been one to really "want" anything for Christmas, especially since my children left the nest, because then if I wanted something, I just went out and got it. However this year, after losing my husband, and caregiving for him for years, and all this Covid crap, I am really feeling the need for a nice vacation, to just get away from everything. So I would say that what I want for Christmas this year, is a really nice vacation. Merry Christmas Everyone!!!
(16)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter