Follow
Read More
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
1 2 3
"Also, I think health care professionals need to be more transparent about the difficulties before talking about how people have rights to stay home when they need 24/7 care." YES! But then that would disrupt the age-old tradition of dumping care on the family, with the unspoken expectation that the family will "put up and shut up."
(9)

Many posters do not really understand the legal responsibilities of being a POA or fiduciary. I believe there should be a mandatory class with a certificate of completion that outlines rules and responsibilities of the position before they take it on.

Also, I think health care professionals need to be more transparent about the difficulties before talking about how people have rights to stay home when they need 24/7 care. Insurance companies could do webinars on thing such as how to change someone or how to take a BP, etc.
(6)

It’s painful to see others suffering. I wish that I had known more. I did not see my parents care for their parents. I had no frame of reference. I was blind. It makes me wonder if we should be doing more to help guide others.

I agree that our kids will know more about what is involved because they have seen us. When they suggested caring for me though, when and if I need looking after, I politely declined the offer.
(6)

NHWM - The best way I know to learn most things is by doing them. I learn about caregiving that way and find out how hard it really is.

How to educate others? If others are willing to learn via on the job training, do let them try.

Then, there are a few lucky people who stumble upon this site and are smart enough to listen to the advice of those who learned the hard way.

For my kids, they observe and learn. I talk to them about it and they understand. It's my job to do everything I can to not be a burden on them. I will teach them that too so they can do the same for their kids.
(7)

I truly believe that any of the regular posters on this forum could write a book! Please let us know if you do.
(7)

1 2 3
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter