Follow
Read More
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
1 2 3
Frances,

You are a kind person to act in such a responsible way. I wonder if people avoid planning for their future because it’s too disturbing for them to think about their own mortality.

Thanks for the info on the PBS documentary. I plan on looking at it.
(0)

I don't know what one could do because everyone thinks it won't happen to them.
Everyone thinks their parents are going to age gracefully and not require real care.
No one thinks dementia, incontinence-whatever the issue will happen. Even the oldies themselves think nothing will happen or that family will be waiting and eager to step up and lend a hand. I thought my sibling would be around to help.
No one wants to come to terms that they might spend their retirement years caregiving. If I had really understood what POA meant I wouldn't sign the dotted line today. Also there seems be to a lot of not so great parents out there who think that even though they failed in their duties and responsibilities of parenthood they are entitled to everything from their kids.
(5)

"What do you think could be done to better educate others on how difficult it is to be a primary caregiver to the elderly?" 

Any attempt I make at trying to answer this question right now will turn into the ravings of a mad woman because things have gone from bad to worse to unimaginable here with my mother, but one thing I would tell them is that no matter what they promised, no matte how much they meant it at the time, the day will come when they may have to break that promise. Nursing homes are filled with people whose children had to break that very same "never" promise. We make it without understanding what it means, and for the most part, they don't understand what they are asking for either. 

I guess a good answer for the question you asked would be to google "caregiver stress" and also to find and take whatever help they can get.

I'm new here. This is my first comment. This site is part of the reason I am not dead or in jail.
(3)

"This site is part of the reason I am not dead or in jail. "

crazyincaroline - you made me laugh. 🤣🤣🤣
(3)

Welcome, Carolina!

Hahaha, I don’t think that you are crazy! In fact, I think your feelings are completely normal.

Not only that, you’re absolutely correct! Things can change in a heartbeat when it comes to caregiving. We should know that the situation always gets more difficult, never easier.

Wishing you peace during this difficult time in your life.
(2)

1 2 3
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter