I thought I would start a conversation on a lighter note for a change. What do you caregivers do for YOURSELF?

Follow

I live in a very small town and my options are limited. But I would love to hear what you do for yourself. I am feeling I have to do something. I really have been my husband's caregiver for years with his illnesses, heart, broken bones, etc. Thanks

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing

Comments

Show:
I wish I did have the talent to paint. I would love that. I bought a coloring book the other day for adults and now I have to find my husband's coloring pencils. He used to color some. Have fun..
(0)

I have re-discovered art! I can spend 15 min to 1 hour and get lost in acrylics or pastel painting. So fun and therapeutic.

I take care of my 5 month old grandson 2 days a week for a few hours...and that really makes my day! Such a cuties and unconditional love!
(1)

I read... alot! Luckily Mom does too. Hubs is in his early retirement so I do get to get away once in awhile ( I know how lucky I am). But I love to go shopping by myself.. even to the grocery store! Even window shopping. And once in a blue moon I watch TV that I want... My DVR is full, if I ever get the time!
(1)

I used to love to color. I want a coloring book !!! I used to love staring into a candle and just watching the flame. I love fire pits. Haven't done any of these for quite a while. I love nature but where we are there is no real nature like the Smoky Mountains with the rushing rivers and all the sounds.
(1)

Oh! And I find funny things to laugh at on Facebook! Laughter really does help!
(2)

I drink red wine while coloring in my adult coloring book and listening to jazz music, reminding of the times when I was living in "the city". A bunch of us girls would go to to dinner then to a piano bar afterwards. I miss those days when I had no elder responsibility.
(1)

Lately, I give something a fresh coat of paint. I think it's because whatever I paint looks better, fresher, cleaner. Not going to read too much into that, just gonna appreciate all my pretty new colors! :)
(1)

The one thing that I enjoy doing for myself - is to eat lunch all by myself at a real restaurant. I'm not talking about McD or Wendys or KFC. A real restaurant. A restaurant where I'm not pressured to leave immediately after eating because customers are waiting to be seated. I love to just sit down, relax and read my book. Take my time eating and drinking. So far, I've kept it at Dennys because I love their local breakfast menu that you can order any time of the day. One day, I will branch out to Chilis or Applebys.
(2)

I have never known a person that was miserable with a pet of their choosing. Anything from a gold fish to chickens, to cats, dogs, hamsters,etc. Any living breathing creature that they can feel the love from it. I was thinking about those nice coloring books for ME..I would love to have chickens just 2 or 3 but my landlord will NOT let me have that first chick even though we live next to a steer lot with lots of noise and smells. We hear cyotes at night. We are in the country but no chickens. It might disturb a blade of glass. Oh well. So maybe coloring books. I don't think I have the patience to learn to chrochet. We have 2 small dogs and I would Love to make them winter clothes. We used to go to the Smokie Mountains a lot and loved the sounds of nature and just kicking back and enjoying a fire at night but I don't ever see that happening again. We tent camped and the whole nine yards. Thanks guys for the ideas. Keep them coming.
(2)

I work out a bit in the morning. Read like a demon, love it!!!!, and spend time with grandchildren who are very uplifting. Also lots of coffee with friends.

I want to get a dog but my husband acts like it would make him miserable. So, no dog. but i see you have dogs. I think pet therapy is very important.
(1)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Related
Questions