Follow

Just finished watching the Country Music documentary by Ken Burns on PBS with my dad tonight and he loved it. I'm glad to have shared with him this loving depiction of so many of his most favorite, beloved artists like the Carter Family, Bill Monroe, the Stanley Brothers, Roy Acuff, Hank Williams, Johnny Cash, Loretta Lynn, Jimmie Rodgers and more. (The series will probably be repeated on PBS stations or on On Demand if you missed it.) Poignant songs of long ago. "Three chords and the truth," as they defined it. Many passed away now, but new artists of different backgrounds carrying on the tradition.

Also, we love watching current Jeopardy champion Jason the math teacher with his $500,000+ winnings! As well as Alex Trebek himself in good health despite his stage 4 pancreatic cancer. He looks as good as ever.

What are you and your loved one watching these days?

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
My mom wud watch every game show, & all day "Gunsmoke" or "Golden Girls" Uuggh. We compromised & watched Ninja Warrior or baseball when I was visiting....or: 'So You Think U Can Dance". She was quite smart from all those game shows though...(won every time at any trivia type activity). I used to remind her to let somebody else win!
(0)

I want to see the Downton Abbey movie! I really enjoyed the TV show. The final episode of the TV show was great, tied things up nicely, so I'm intrigued by the movie which I've heard good things about.

I love all those channels, too, Shane. Also my dad and I have been enjoying the "SOS: How to Survive" series on the Weather Channel. I like the handy survival tips in the midst of the extreme drama of falling off the hillside during your hike and then encountering extreme weather, rambunctious wildlife, etc.
(1)

I’ve been binge watching “Downton Abbey”. Up to season 4, almost season 5 on Prime. There is a new Downton movie coming out now. It’s easy watching, and Maggie Smith is just awesome in her role as the Dowager! Just her eye expressions crack me up.
Otherwise it’s Discover Channel, National Geographic, Smithsinian, etc. Haven’t watched a network show in long time.
(2)

Now that college football has started my dad is mesmerized by it for hours. Today he monitored several different games and happily switched between three different Pac-12 games when we got home from church.
(2)

My MIL does not pay much attention to TV. I am unsure if she can follow it most days. However, she will pay some attention to awards shows, and most "breaking news" events. Sometimes her reactions to political news are absolutely priceless.
(1)

We watch a lot of shows on PBS. I like how there are no commercials -- I can just set my dad up with something and possibly get a few things done here and there without worrying about commercials. (He is unable to use the remote to fast-forward due to his paralysis.) Recently our local PBS station has been playing a few Burt Wolf travelogue shows that have been witty and entertaining.

Also have been getting more into Turner Classic Movies. I didn't realize we got this channel. They have been playing movies related to college football through the month of September on Fridays -- we watched the Marx Brothers' "Horse Feathers" which was hilarious, and just the other day "Jim Thorpe: All-American" which was quite a story.

And now math teacher Jason on Jeopardy is dethroned! But what a run he had.
(2)

Sorry PBS.org.
(1)

You can watch PBS programs on PBS.com. just FYI
(1)

Downton Abbey want to finish it before I see the movie.
(2)

My mom and I watch Hallmark channel all the time. She loves the movies and their morning show Home and Family. I like all the craft projects they do on the show, inspires me to try them
(1)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter