Follow
Read More
Find Care & Housing
6 7 8 9 10
Re MJ Fox and Parkinson, apparently they suspect some kind of viral infection on set of Leo and Me.
It happened in 1977, 4 people developed Parkinson’s in 1990s. They made this connection in 2011 and still nothing conclusive. But it looks more as mere coincidence. Out of 150 people working on set that is 6%, generally 1 in 300 which is .3% if my quick without calculating math is correct.
Thank you Gershun, need to read a little more.
Golden, thanks for mentioning The Great Age Reboot, will order now on Amazon, It sounds very interesting.
(2)

Min Jin Lee's Pachinko. Wonderful book!
(1)

It makes sense about environmental exposure and Parkinson's. One of the reasons the VA considers exposure to "Agent Rainbow", the diagnosis of Parkinson's a "Service Connected Disability"
(2)

I read The Bitter Season by Tami Hoag a couple of weeks ago, Kovac and Liska is a good series.

And I remember reading that about Michael Fox back when he was first diagnosed.
(2)

I didn't know that about Michael Fox. It certainly sounds like environment was involved. Off the drink my coffee and finish the latest mystery.
(2)

Sort of on topic but did you all know that Michael J Fox starred in a little known show when he first started acting called Leo & Me. Apparently four other cast members from that show developed Parkinson's as well. So there is something to be said for the environment contributing to diseases etc. Something they were exposed to perhaps. Anyway.

I'm reading a book called The 9th Girl by Tami Hoag. But I'm halfway through and I keep thinking I've read it before........but not sure so I'm plodding my way through it anyway. Mark this as another age related thing I guess.
(3)

Epigenetics is the study of how your behaviors and environment can cause changes that affect the way your genes work (which affects how your body works) - not by affecting your DNA but by affecting the turning on and off of genes. For example lifestyle (behaviors and environment) can affect the likelihood of getting certain diseases.

I suspect behaviors and environment continue to affect us in our 60s and beyond. The cellular mechanisms are still there so why wouldn't they?
(3)

Hello, Alexa, what is epigenetics?

No I don't have alexa, but will have to google. Not too late in my 60's?

590? No 385 at least on my kindle.
(1)

Mysteries as usual, and I picked up "The Great Age Reboot" by Albert Ratner, Michael Roizen, and Peter Linneman which addresses many things regarding aging including how we can prepare ourselves for a good old age by our choices in our 40s 50s and 60s. I (I guess instinctively) knew that and made lifestyle changes to keep my BP, blood sugar etc where they should be as I aged. Apparently it involves epigenetics which I did not know. I have read an article about the book but not the book itself which I am looking forward to reading
(2)

560 pages Glad? .... I hope it was worth it. When I read

"A REESE WITHERSPOON HELLO SUNSHINE BOOK CLUB PICK"
and
"as twisty, spellbinding, and addictive as Gillian Flynn’s Gone Girl or Paula Hawkins’s The Girl on the Train”

I didn't think it was something I'd like. And then I saw the page count 🤣
(1)

A while ago I finished a book "The Book of Lost Names" by Kristen Harmel. I loved the book. "A heart-stopping tale of survival and heroism centered on a female forger who risks everything to help Jewish children escape Nazi- occupied France"
The tale and the writing led me to track down another of her books so "The Winemakers Wife" is next after I finish "Vanished Days" by Susanna Kearsley. I have found I like her writing as well and have read several of her books. (thank goodness there is a Half Price Books store near me. And will hit up the library for more.)
(1)

A very strange book, but everyone got what they had coming to them.

The Cloisters next...
(0)

The Last Mrs. Parrish. Very strange, about 80 pages remaining.
(1)

The Umbrian Thursday Night Supper Club by Malena de Blasi. Not my first book by her, as she writes about Italy a lot and I love Italy. But this one is really fun. She meets with some elder women in their village who cook on Thursday nights. Some recipes included. And the womens' stories, some from the World War, are amazing.
(0)

I've been working my way back through the Ian Rutledge series by Charles Todd, it's been long enough that they are almost like new again. But I have to say that the Hamish plot device (his inner ghost) has gotten a little old.

I still have complaints about the Cloud Library though, it is slow and glitchy and searching for books filtered by publication date or alphabetically by title or author leaves a lot to be desired. And it's really annoying to have only some random books in an ongoing series... what good is that?!
(1)

Not sure I will be reading this, by Jennette McCurdy:
"I am glad my Mom died".
(1)

The Cartographers, it’s a good mystery.
i also like to look for well read books and get audiobooks from the library.
The last book I listened to was The Guilt Trip.
Not all audiobooks have good readers, so always sample the audiobook if you’re able to.
I love Mysteries!
Okay the truth is my husband and I are true Bibliophiles!
I’m more light mystery not too much gore and historical mysteries. I love the Cozy Mysteries!
Oh and I love British Mysteries.
Wish I could live in the Cotswolds😆

Victoria Thompson’s Gaslight Mysteries are great if you like Historical.
Hannah Dennison has Hilarious characters in her British Cozies.
There are so many wonderful authors out there, I could go on and on.
What I really miss are the Book Signing Events! And Independent Book stores. Barnes & Noble has put them out of business and now you’re lucky if they even get any new books!

Happy Reading Everyone 📚
(0)

Sounds like a good book Barb ,Thanks for telling what it's about.
I'm going to have to check it out.
Hopefully,our library has it and I can find my card~
(5)

🙂 “That major sleep disorder you have called ‘Reading’.”

“A book a day keeps reality away.”

“My workout is reading in bed until my arms hurt.”

goooodnight from bundle of joy :)
(4)

Reading an interesting book I picked up randomly at the library. The Housekeeper by Joy Fieling. A dysfunctional family hires a live-in to help out with the elderly Parkinson's afflicted mom.

Cleary, things are going to take a twisted turn, but what many of us will find interesting is the knowledgeable way she writes about adult children denied their parents' love and approval and the harm that ensues.
(8)

I'm rereading all of Tabitha King's novels (Stephen King's wife). Saving my favorite One On One for last. My granddaughter finished reading it today.
(3)

Rereading some Henry James. Turn of the Screw now (oh, those long run on sentences!). Next is The Aspern papers, long my favorite due to the atmospheric depiction of Venice, a city I so loved. I call this real escape reading.
(3)

Fwiw on Where the Crawdads, Delia Owens, the author is in the movie. She’s in the courthouse scenes. I haven’t seen the movie but I know she was on the day player on-set list for scenes shot on the CH entryways and seated behind the attorney (David Straihaim).
(5)

I read alot, and my public library is my blessing! If I hear about a book that I may like I reserve it and read it when it comes in. If I had to buy all those books I would be broke! support your library!!
(8)

To avoid burying my latest read in my two previous, lengthy comments --

Just finished The Second Mrs. Hockaday, by Susan Rivers. It's a mostly epistolary novel about a young woman during the Civil War who is accused of murder. It was excellent.

Just started The Dickens Boy, by Thomas Keneally. It's a novel about Charles Dickens' tenth child, Edward, who is sent to Australia to live. I'm only about 50 pages in, but it seems quite good so far.

Next in line is Horse, by Geraldine Brooks.
(3)

Scrolling down on the other postings, I see folks have read Where the Crawdads Sing. Delia Owens also spoke same literary conference where I heard Elizabeth George all those years ago, but Owens was the speaker in 2020, a week before the world locked down.

She was a really odd woman, and it made the book a little less baffling. I didn't like Crawdads because the premise was preposterous and she doesn't have a good grasp on pacing for fiction writing. However, she was a very shy, odd woman, and it turned out that she had lived in Africa for 20 years almost entirely on her own studying animals.

Her main character in Crawdads was obviously based on her own experience of living alone for so long, but honestly, her character functioned better in public situations than Delia Owens did. She was barely able to give her speech, as she was petrified to face a room full of 800 women eager to hang on her every word, then she wouldn't sign any books for anyone which is a major part of this authors conference each year.

She left a pretty bad taste in a lot of people's mouths, but I wonder if she was pressured by her publisher to make these appearances. The book certainly didn't need any extra publicity from this event, as I doubt there were many in attendance who hadn't read it already.

The event I'm talking about is called Literary Women, and it's the Long Beach Festival of Authors. I've been attending since the first one back in the early 80s, except for several years when I lived out of state, and I've heard everyone from Barbara Kingsolver to Maya Angelou to Sharon Kay Penman to Sue Grafton. It's a great event to attend if you live in Southern California -- literarywomen.org.
(3)

Interesting tidbit about Elizabeth George, the novelist --

I heard her speak about 35 years ago when her first book, A Great Deliverance, had just come out. She was a professor at our local community college in Huntington Beach, CA, and people were shocked to find out she wasn't British. She was a massive Anglophile, though, and traveled to England every opportunity, but she couldn't make a lot of trips on a professor's salary.

She was just finishing up her second book in the Detective Lynley series, and she said she'd finally come up with the perfect way to at least offset some of the expense of her travels. She said she'd book a trip, travel around until she had an idea for a book, then research it while she was there. After she came home, she'd write the book and write off the trip as a business expense.

Pretty smart cookie, because now she's made enough money on those novels to buy her own home in England, although I believe she primarily lives in Seattle now.
(3)

P.S.
I didn't read it either.
(2)

Guessing that this best-selling author is not the Elizabeth George you are reading Gershun, Golden, Glad....?

A Woman After God's Own Heart® Growth and Study Guide Feb 1, 2015
by Elizabeth George

$5.99
Discover the deep and lasting fulfillment that comes when you make the decision to follow God in every area of your life.
A Woman After God's Own Heart® Growth & Study Guide will help you take the scriptural guidance found in Elizabeth George's bestselling book A Woman After God's Own Heart® and apply it to your own season of life. Perfect for women's Bible study groups or individual study, this fun and challenging resource will give you the necessary tools for living out God's priorities when it comes to your husband, your children, your home, your walk with the Lord, and your ministry.
With thought-provoking discussion questions, practical exercises, and a quiet time calendar, this guide will nurture you toward greater spiritual maturity—the kind that makes you a woman after God's own heart.
(3)

No, glad. I haven't read Michael Connelly. As I read so many books I try to keep the price down. Kindle Unlimited has a broad selection but not the best writers unless you go for books written years ago. It's well worth it for me but I have to do some searching to find books I like. Connelly would be on the expensive side as once I read one and like it I will read everything from that author and at about-3 books a week it adds up. Elizabeth George is more affordable. I try to stay under $10 a book apart from KU.
(2)

6 7 8 9 10
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter