Follow
Read More
Find Care & Housing
3 4 5 6 7
Bellefleur, Joyce Carol Oats old (1980) gothic. I love it dark.
Had three of her gothics saved forever, covered in mylar jackets, in the library. Decided to do them one as a time. Bloodsmoor Romance is next. I kept these intending always to "read them again". At 80 figure it's now or never, then can give them away. Heavy books taxing the arthritic fingers and the aging eyes.
(1)

CW, Goodreads shows four stars as does Amazon. I wonder if the Canadian Goodreads is different ratings that US?
(0)

Give us a review when you've finished it Glad, many of the reviews at goodreads are not very high.

I'm currently into the newest Laurie R King book, I'm not sure yet whether it's good or not.
(1)

Through A Darkening Glass. Set in 1940's England during WWII. A story of a girl murdered 1910's now believed to be a wraith, a ghost, haunting the town where the main characters have evacuated to from London.

Fun, but curious and strange actually kinda creepy.
(1)

Glad, we got YouTube TV as well. Never had so many channels, and so much less than our cable was, which in SF was Astound-Wave and had gone up over 200 a month. You could call and plead that you were a senior and get a teensy bit off, but had to do it all the time, the charges were going up monthly. Things are so much better now. We have Sonic for the computers/phone and youtube TV for the rest, and can really get anything we care to watch now. I so agree with you.
(5)

Finished "Hidden in Snow". Highly recommended! I am also going to check out "The Sandhamn Murders". This book series was so popular it was made into a tv series. Will try to find that as well. It might have English subtitles or maybe even in English. English is taught throughout school in Sweden and Norway from what I understand.

Oh and I fell asleep watching Dick Van Dyke on YouTube tonight. Woke up to the complete movie of Bonanza, yes all 3+ hours! No I didn't watch it. YouTube also has some full length, free, movies.

For those that are interested that want to get rid of cable tv, that satellite on your roof, and the $130 bill that comes along with it, try YouTube TV. At least It was $130 when I dropped It 1.5 years ago, and wouldn't go back! It is wonderful and actually includes some premium channels included in the only $65/month fee. YouTube TV is an app on your smart TV, it it is not there search for it. There is a free one week trial.

SMH I wonder how long until we stop referring to them as Smart TV's. You can't buy stupid ones any more, can you?

YouTube and YouTube TV are different.
(3)

I'm reading a book called Knock Knock by Anders Roslund. Pretty good but I keep on getting sidetracked. Seems I've been reading it for a while now.
(2)

It is kind of interesting it is smoked creamed cod roe. The book calls it caviar and of course that is what roe is, especially if the cod type. I just never thought of that product as caviar.
(1)

glad - yes, I remember that . I gather it was good! All that snow feels familiar.❄❄❄ You can get the smoked roe on Amazon. I think it is gluten and dairy free.
(1)

I am enjoying it so far, about 100 pages in, a lot of character intro and development, so moving a bit slow at first. A dead body falls off a ski lift chair when started for the day, a missing teen and a cop, with a very wealthy sister, that has lost her job and her boyfriend.

Do you remember me saying I had smoked creamed roe, Kalles, one night for dinner? It is a product of Sweden. The product has been brought up in the book.
(3)

Houseplant - sounds interesting. Water is so basic to life.

glad - Let us know about Hidden in Snow. I see it is available through Kindle unlimited.
(1)

I just started the first book of a new series by Swedish author Vivica Sten titled Hidden in Snow. So far, very good. It is translated into English which is interesting because there are a few misinterpretations that are easy to figure out what it should say. She has a previous series that has been brought to Swedish television.
(2)

I find The Big Thirst by Charles Fishman to be worthy of my time. No one escapes the +/- of water. Part of the human experience. The author is quite adept at weaving multiple perspective into one story.

My favorite is the plight of very young girls still subjected to near slavery conditions and no opportunities for education. Cultural beliefs/decisions frequently made at young girls expense. A modern day life, that by default, requires human labor to deliver water to villiages and yes, modern day cities. The "provider" of a family must do money making jobs, and someone must still deliver water. Young boys are better able to escape water duty with the expectation they will someday be the financial supporter of the family. Girls will eventually be providers of personal care for their elder parents after raising their own children.
Given the crazy world, I find this to be a good book to have on the coffee table to pick up and read as much as interests me at the moment. The author is so good at blending today's national and international water use. Dependency on nature, science, money, legal/moral standing, personal worth or value to others is still so dependent upon this one resource.
I spent the first 2/3 of my life in the Western US, so water was always an active topic from primary grades through college. So much opportunity because of water, yet some young girls futures are still far worse than our parents and grandparents due to a lack of water and a way to deliver it to people's homes.

This is really a good read on women's issues which I never expected.

I think I'm going to read Fishman's other book - The Walmart Effect. This would not interest me, but for the fact that Fishman is so smooth at weaving a story that is true and interesting and even an education.

It's a good read without the trash that is so often used as scare tactics or turmoil given the human condition.
(2)

Just finished Verity. I don't think I liked it as much as Alva. On to the next one.
(1)

If people do podcasts at all then on your same tablet you can subscribe free to Librivox. You will have a choice of many many many many books read to you any time you want. They are currently reading Pride and Prejudice to me.
On the bookshelf, Cloisters, recommended here by Glad, which was great fun and heading back to the library. Am going to plunge into Susan Sontag memoir now by the gal who lived with her and her son a while. Sempre Susan, by Sigrid Nunez. Susan Sontag was one DIFFICULT woman, but what a writer. I'd say I can only begin to understand a third of her writings, but those I do are remarkable. Her best, to me, was Illness as Metaphor.
(1)

If anyone is interested, we have a local non profit radio station here that reads books, best sellers, non fiction and fiction, classics, newspapers, articles from magazines and medical journals, etc. to the blind.

I have listened to many unabridged books on this station. Just as many sighted people listen to it as visually impaired people.

It’s www.wrbh.org

You can stream it live online. I believe that you can also go into the archives also.

Enjoy!
(5)

Dreadful to know what happened to the wife and girls. Makes you wonder who is safe. I'm not surprised that people in the neighbourhood would be deeply affected.

Working my way through The Great Age reboot. Some interesting ideas and information for sure. One is that as people age well in the coming years they will work longer and contribute to the economy so that, in fact, increasing longevity will not be a drain on society but rather society will benefit.

Calvin and Hobbs is still good for a chuckle.
(1)

The Chris Watts story hits so close to home. Seems like the wife and girls were found very close to here. I remember the news stories, how terribly disturbing to begin with, then where they were found! A very, very sick person. 😥😥
(1)

I recently finished "My Daddy is a Hero: How Chris Watts Went from Family Man to Family Killer" by Lena Derhally, Thanks to whoever recommended it. I can't remember who you are.

It was disturbing, of course, but it was also too familiar. I have been pondering why and finally realized that Chris Watts reminds me of my sister. She has some of the same characteristics. though she doesn't have the rage from suppressed needs. I have experienced her flipping from charming to vicious from one phone call to another. The iciness of her tones would freeze water on a hot day.

I don't think I ever saw my sister cry. Her response to my "How are you?" was always, "I'm fine!". She smirked when things went her way, she turned on the big wide smile as part of her "I am a nice/good person" front, she sat with her hands folded in her lap appearing to be the dutiful daughter at mother's gatherings, but behind the scenes was another story, I am not going to go into the "other stories", but suffice it to say, she is cruel and unfeeling, she lies, and money is a big motivator for her.

This realization has helped me to put some of the missing pieces of my past in their right places and lay more of the attached feelings to rest. I am very thankful I have gone no contact. If I ever questioned that that was the right thing to do, I question it no longer. It was necessary. I forgive her for being who she is. How much choice she has, for that matter anyone with a mental illness has, I don't know. I just know I need to protect myself from her and I have.
(2)

Thanks, Glad. I thought it was you. Will add the Mrs to my reading list.
(1)

It was me, Alva. We have very similar tastes in reading. I loved The Cloistersl

I am still working on Verity. I don't read daily and when I do I am doing good to get an hour in. Verity reminds me of another book I read recently that has a very similar story line. I will try to figure out the title of it.

Found it here. The Last Mrs. Parrish.
(1)

Which of you recommended The Cloisters?
I am loving it.
Right up my alley. A good website online from the Met.org, as well:

The Met Cloisters - Primer (metmuseum.org)
(1)

Glad, Verity sucked me right in and kept me there throughout!
(2)

Just started Verity. The story line is intriguing, and so far very good.
(3)

Scapegoat. Identity switch tale by the long dead Daphne DuMaurier. Recommended.
Just finished Rob Delaney's memoir about the death of his son, A Heart that Works. Be ready to weep, but there are things in this, such as what a one year old toddling about in diapers is, that I will never forget. I read it in one night.
(2)

Having just gotten through a 4 book mystery set which should only have taken one book I really needed a change.

So I have found a free pdf of James Herriot's "All Creatures Great and Small" and am enjoying it. I liked the original TV series but haven't gotten into the recent version. I also found Bloom County Bill the Cat ("Ack"), Calvin and Hobbes, and Pogo. Years ago we all loved these.

The Great Age Reboot is interesting and such a contrast to much of what we see here. It's encouraging.
(4)

It's never too late Send.
(3)

Referencing the Boundaries book by Cloud and Townsend.

Earlier this morning I was reading somewhere about a serial killer whose wife was given an emergency divorce when he was arrested. Don't know how I got there.
(2)

Mayfair!
(0)

I am watching Mairfair witches on AMC. Set largely in New Orleans. A surgeon that finds out she is a witch. Wonder if there are any legends about Mayfair witches in NO. I saw a teaser on this last week, maybe the Today Show?

EERIE and STRANGE!

https://www.today.com/video/alexandra-daddario-talks-mayfair-witches-and-white-lotus-159482437608

Oh, yea, I put it here because it is based on Anne Rice's book.
(2)

3 4 5 6 7
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter