Follow
Read More
Find Care & Housing
I use the local library, they know me by name and book style at this point! At the rate mom and I read I would go broke buying things! And I get a lot of free books on my kindle. Support your local library!!!
(2)

I'm reading a book called The Three Beths by Jeff Abbott. Kind of a strange meandering kind of read but I never not finish a book even if it sucks. Sometimes I've been pleasantly surprised and the book improves.This one not so much........
(1)

BBecky, Happy New Year!!

CW, do you have any used bookstores or Goodwills near you? They often have Black and Blue. It's a great read!.
(2)

Mothers Who Can’t Love. Donna Frazier Glynn. Reading for a panel I’m going to be on. TypicL dysfunctional mother info.
(1)

I was more than half way through Black and Blue by Anna Quindlen, but when I wanted to finish it last night my e-reader informed me that the DRM had expired. I frantically booted up and logged on to my Overdrive account to renew only to discover it wasn't available - do I want to place a hold? The problem with that is my library is discontinuing their affiliation with Overdrive and switching to Cloud library... and I already checked, it isn't available there or as a hard copy from my local library. Dang.
(2)

Just finished Evvie Drake Starts Over by Linda Holmes. Neither a favorite or a worst read. Kind of meandering and slow but okay. I took it from the Today Show book club list of Jenna Bush Hager, maybe we just don’t think alike!
(1)

I just finished The Starless Sea by Erin Morgenstern. I read a lot, several books a week. And this is by far the best fiction novel I have read in forever. Fantasy is not for everyone, but this was like crack for me. Like Harry Potter was for my daughter! I ready every genre but normally go to mysteries. so for me to say this fantasy was awesome is something. Just try it, and may you find it as fantastic as I did.
(3)

I'm currently reading Eve Langlais freebie sci-fi romance book.  I did a lot of skipping on the romance scenes.  That's a lot of pages I've skipped!..  So far, that female gets all heated up being spanked and a forceful male {whatever!} ... [I guess she was never spanked with hard leather belt from a parent who liked to emphasis Each Single Angry Word with Each Single Whopping of that belt.  Standing there with your 7 sibs - all waiting your turn to be spanked.  My parents were one of those with: "If one of you gets into trouble, you all get punished for it."] … I won't be buying the book series since it would be a waste of money if I keep skipping most of the pages.
(2)

Gershun,

So very sorry about his death. That is heartbreaking. God bless all military men and women. They do give their lives serving their country.

I dated a marine once too. Same thing, really wonderful guy.

They are so handsome in their uniforms!
(1)

I don't recall my mom loving any guy I dated except for one guy I dated when I was 18. He was a marine. I'm Canadian but he was stationed in Bangor, Seattle. He would come up and visit me when he had leave. Then he got stationed in Japan and sadly died in a freak accident there. He was a real upstanding man and we most likely would have gotten married if he hadn't died.

One of the biggest heartbreaks of my life.😥
(7)

Oh yeah!
(2)

Gershun,

Giggling...over your comments. Ever dated a great looking guy and when you kissed there was no chemistry at all?

Oh, and it was always the guy that your parents just loved!

This is funny, for some reason my daddy didn’t like Italians. Well, it just so happened that I always fell for those gorgeous dark haired Italian guys! I married an Italian. I think I am a wannabe Italian! Hahaha.
(2)

Just finished Tana French's "In the Woods". A really good read!
(2)

Yes Willie, I don't know how I stomached reading them when I was a young girl. They are definitely not empowering to women. Thank goodness there wasn't any sex in them when I used to read them. Imagine the disillusionment when I grew up and actually had real sex. Sorry, maybe I've slept with the wrong kind of men but the earth never actually moved for me.

T M I, I know......................:P
(2)

Harlequin books have changed a lot from the ones I used to read in my early teens - there's even sex now - but the basic theme is still girl is let down/betrayed by the man in her life, meets a bad boy who is really just a misunderstood good guy, he solves all her problems, they fall in love and live happily ever after. They're the antithesis of women power, that's for sure.
(1)

Never read those romance novels.
(3)

My kids read box car series.
(2)

I used to read Harlequin romance novels. Ugh....I wouldn't line a bird cage with those now. No offense to anyone who likes that sort of thing but I find the whole "He burned me with his black, provocative eyes and my heart beat like a hummingbird when he tore his shirt off" kind of nauseating now.😖
(3)

When I was small I loved Nancy Drew and the Boxcar children. when dad was with us his great CG once brought over a Nancy Drew and read it to him, I was charmed, and he loved it. And I admit I borrowed my male cousins Hardy boys.. LOL Now I love Cozy mysteries and any sort of mystery
(4)

I get nostalgic at times and read the classics that I read many years ago.

What were your favorite books as a child?

I loved Beatrice Potter books. Adored Alice in Wonderland and Mary Poppins. Any of Grimm's fairytales. Mother Goose stories.

In New Orleans we have a place called StoryLand. It’s in our City Park. My daddy took us there often. It was really fun. I took my kids there when they were young. At Halloween kids can go trick or treating there and the main character from the books pass out the candy.
(1)

Reading a book that mentions about imagination and positive thoughts to complete goals
(1)

I love it CM! I am hooked on it. Hey, I listen to some of the BBC stuff on NPR. It’s great!

Now you have me curious about your falling out with BBC.
(0)

That sounds absolutely fantastic, NHWM. I'm a big radio fan (or I was before I fell out with the BBC over... never mind!) and this sounds like a wonderful resource.
(1)

Don’t laugh but I often listen to WRBH. It is a local station for the blind. It’s a small studio located on Magazine St. here in New Orleans. It’s a non profit and volunteers read fiction and non fiction, also major newspapers, magazines, medical journals, etc.

As many sighted people listen to it as blind. Check it out. WRBH.org. You can look up the website and find the program listings for what they are reading. Tons of local and national authors.

Anything from classics to science fiction. They also read lots of biographies. It’s fantastic. Every now and then the author will read his own book. What a treat! All sorts of people from famous to everyday people volunteer to read.
(1)

Reading author Valerie Taurico, articles based upon her book:
"The Righteous and the Woke – Why Evangelicals and Social Justice Warriors Trigger Me in the Same Way".
(2)

tree artist - just saw this. Rosa is the duck.🦆 😊 The last of the series (so far) came out this year, so there may be some you haven't read.

Currently reading the Lord Peter Wimsey mystery series by Dorothy L Sayers  - more light reading.
(1)

Glad, it is a wonderful book, for sure. Just finished Anne Tyler's Clock Dance.

I'm also reading The Perfectionists by Simon Winchester about the beginnings of precision in machining.
(2)

Received The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks from dd2 for Xmas. She has a way of choosing great books! Sounds fascinating, even disturbing and non-fiction.
(2)

In The Heart Of The Sea by Nathaniel Philbrick. An engrossing tale of survival at sea from the days of Nantucket whalers, circa 1820. I just learned it was filmed so at some point I hope to see what a good director can do with this powerful story.
(2)

I’ve been reading a lot of books by Robert Dugoni & Chad Zunker. I read when I go to bed because it helps to stop my mind from constantly thinking about what is going on in my life.

I ended up joining the Amazon Kindle unlimited for $9.99 a month because I read so much & found it cheaper for me to do it this way. I believe you can have 10 books at a time & their unlimited reading books are by many different authors.
(1)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter