Follow
Read More
Garden, I’m reading the plays. Sinners less my style.

I try to stay positive. Some days easier than others. You would remember if you had read sandford. He has some memorable characters.
(0)

Becky, how interesting that we've both read some of the same authors, and made similar observations!

I think the inclusion of co-authors shifted the focus of Cussler's books away from good quality writing, marine technology emphasis and limited physical entanglements, and deteriorated the enjoyment of his novels as a whole.    Perhaps that's why the one I'm reading is so captivating.  It includes not only basic historical research, with some speculation added in, but there's just as much focus on that as there is on beating up the bad guys.

I gave up on Patterson after reading some good novels.   They deteriorated so much that I just lost interest.  Same thing happened with the inheritors of the Vince Flynn and Tom Clancy rights.

Thought I've read Sandford but can't find any of his novels, so I guess I didn't.   That's why I need to keep a spreadsheet on what I buy and a separate list of what I read, although I think it's time to combine them. 

I used to love Victoria Holt and her various noms de plume novels.  

Which Shakespearean literature are you reading?  The plays?   Sonnets?  I'm partial to 12th Night.   I took a Shakespeare class in college and learned so much; in some ways it's like reading a different language.

We had to read portions of Hamlet aloud; one of my classmates read Ophelia and played the part as she was made for it.   She even kind of dissolved, literally sinking down and collapsing onto the desk as she read the famous mad scene.

You seem like a very adaptable and positive person, reading during dialysis and keeping such a positive outlook.

CharK, no hints at all about Karin Slaughter?   Guess I'll have to make a trip to Barnes and Noble and check out her books!

Anyone ever read the Griffin and Sabine series by Nick Bantock?\

TreeArtist, sounds like your granddaughter is already "hooked on books".  I've never read  at a time; she must have quite an ability to focus and concentrate to read 5 books at a time.

Of all the stores I've been to throughout my life, there still is none to compare to Borders.   Not only was it a store, but it transcended life and created an atmosphere of its own, separate from everything outside surrounding it.   I so much miss it.  
(0)

Becky, I loved your memory of you and your grandmother reading through the Bible. And now you keeping a spreadsheet! You are a serious reader!

I do daily Bible readings, but it takes me, probably several years, to go through the entire Book, because I jump from the Old Testament to the New, and stop to read commentaries and history on what I read.

I read a lot too, though if I’m reading non-fiction, I will read several books at the same time.

The other day, at my daughter’s house, I happened to see my 6 year old granddaughter on her hands and knees in the living room with five books open and spread out across the floor. She was reading all five, one page at a time. I wonder where she got that from!! I took a photo that I wish I could post here. The funny thing is, that she has never seen me read several books at the same time, and I know her parents don’t do that. Genes!
(1)

Garden Artist, I used to read every Cussler as soon as it came out. Quit when he started having co-authors. Did the same thing with early James Patterson books. Now John Sandford is my go to guy. He comes out with two books a year. I’ve read all the Prey series in order twice; same with the Virgil Flowers series.

Back in the 70’s/80’s I was that way with Victoria Holt/Jean Plaidy. I love the old Anya Seton novels. I read all the time. I always reread old Rosalind Pilcher novels in the summer.

Now that I’m on dialysis six times a week I’m tied to my chair for few hours and
reading keeps my mind off the treatments. Reading and knitting keep me still for that.

I keep a spreadsheet of what I read. My mother kept an alphabetical journal of everything she read. It was getting full when she died in 2016. She had started it after my dad and her mother both died in 1992. Her mother only read the Bible. She read it all the way thru every year. I took a class at church with my grandma when I was in high school to read the Bible thru one year. I made it thru, but barely. I only missed one Bible class that year. My grandma didn’t drive , nor did I. I walked with her to church every Tuesday evening. My boyfriend at the time would come pick us up and drive us home.
(1)

I’m reading “Pieces of Her” by Karin Slaughter who is one of my favorites that I read anything she puts out as soon as I can.

I actually am reading it again! As in, I finished it and started right back at the beginning. It is very exciting and riveting but I started it again because there’s too much I didn’t understand.

Sorry, but I’m not going to describe it as I don’t want to give anything away. Suffice to say, it’s about a grown daughter learning crazy stuff about her mother in an action setting.

It’s a real good read, the fault is mine for not understanding. I’ve been falling asleep as soon as I settle in and lose my place too often to keep track of the action.

Charlotte
(1)

Becky, I have to write them down in my calendar; otherwise I don't always remember what I've read, especially when I'm on a roll and read one right after another.
(1)

I have so many books that I've been in the process of reading that I don't remember any of their titles.
(4)

Rereading Some Shakespeare. I have an anthology from a university class back in the 70’s. Found it in a box of books and started rereading. Interesting to read notes I made in the margins and pieces of paper stuck in the book.
(1)

Another Cussler mystery.  Finished one last week and started another one.   The current book is Atlantis Found, and I think it's one of his best.   The research and history are so well tied together, and the plot is actually potentially realistic, as well as complex.  

And it addresses the mystery of whether Atlantis existed and presents a plausible theory for its disappearance.   

In addition, it incorporates Cussler's knowledge of marine engineering and exploration.   I'm beginning to want to go back to school again and learn more about the new technologies, including genetic engineering, which he addresses.

I could easily spend the rest of my life just reading and reading for hours on end

Pronker, are you pleased/enjoying The Goddess War trilogy?    I read a fascinating semi nonfictional novel about the Minoan civilization several decades ago.    If I can find it, I'd read it again.   
(1)

Kendare Blake's The Goddess War trilogy. Excellent horror/fantasy re Greek mythology.
(2)

The 36 hour day- a guide for caregivers. I would call it more like a bible for caregivers. I just discovered it. I also purchased being mortal.
(3)

I saw the word Fantasy and checked The Starless Sea. Way over my budget. My paperbacks are deteriorating fast in this hot humid house. My goal is to reread my favorite paperback books (which the pages are falling off as I read it). I also have 2 large plastic containers filled with unread books... I’m rereading a fantasy, investigative book The Child by Jes Battis.

I’m so used to reading ebooks, I find myself trying to swipe the paper page to make the font bigger. 🤦🏻‍♀️
(4)

Toxic Psychiatry by Peter Breggin
(0)

windy, I have read some reviews for that book,, I'll have to look it up. We also love books set in other countries.. love M C Beaton for example
(2)

Just finished a very interesting book, ELIZABETH IS MISSING, by Emma Healy, her first book.

A good, small village, British mystery. The narrator in the book is an 82 year old lady who is developing dementia and she’s typical of what we see so much in our elders, she has very muddled short term memory but good long term memory.

Reading the book was like being on the other side of dementia. She describes her confusion, her struggle to find a word, to recognize people. I saw my dad in this character. If he could describe what’s going on in his mind this would be accurate I think.

And besides the insight into dementia it’s a ripping good yarn.
(6)

Gershun, I think reading expands the mind so much, and that's much better than expansion elsewhere (as chocolate tends to do, although it is a good "medicine").

CharK60, I haven't read anyone mention "The Life of Pi" in soooo many years.   I think I may have it somewhere.    Time for a trip back in time by visiting all the old book stashes.
(1)

CharK60
The last book I read to my daughter was “The Life of Pi”
She was also 12.
Around age 10 I remember that we listened to the Harry Potter series on the way back and forth to school. We had a long ride and wouid really get into it. I got busted on listening ahead one day. Couldn’t get that tape back to the right spot. Ouch.
I love those memories.
(1)

I remember reading novels to my first daughter who was an “only” until she was 12 so we had plenty of alone time together.

Many, many times I finished her books after she fell asleep beside me. Watership Down, Charlie and the Chocolate factory, The Wizard of Oz, she didn’t like it much but I couldn’t put some of them down!
(1)

I’m reading “Career of Evil” by Robert Galbraith who is in fact J.K.Rowling the author of the Harry Potter series.

It is a crime drama and the third in a series. Kind of slow starting but it’s gotten very good.

I just finished “The 19th Christmas” by James Patterson whose books I may as well drink from a cup because I absorb them so quickly they fill my pores.
(1)

I'm reading Suspicious Minds by Gwenda Bond. I love mystery books but don't think it is one. It's 1969 and about 4 college kids in a scientific study. I'm almost half way thru. Mentioned in the book, Woodstock, landing on the moon, and the Mason murders. Just mentioned.....
(2)

To paraphrase the Captain's credo - I ain't gonna pay for books when I can read for free - even best sellers are available at the library as long as you are prepared to patiently wait your turn. The only exception I make are books I want to read again and again, and perhaps not even then. But then I am a prolific reader, at $15 or more for even a paperback book I'd be spending hundreds a month.
(3)

You sounded very scholarly there Garden. LOL But then you always do.

I've gained so much from reading. My hubs quite often asks me how did you know that? From reading of course. Chocolate is nice too............now a good book and chocolate.........well you can't get better than that.
(1)

Blech - add a "t" and "ley" and you've got Bletchley Park, the famous Enigma code breaking group.

Gershun, I too still buy books, and probably will for years.  They stimulate my mind, they open vistas to new concepts, new places, and some of them (like Cussler's) push the edges of technology and greed in their sometimes complex tales.

Books are even more tempting to buy than chocolates, and I am a true dyed in the wool chocoholic.  
(4)

I admit it. I still buy books. But I do have a great library happening so when people come over they can do the old scan the books thing. I put my intelligent reads near the front so I appear to be real scholarly. :)
(3)

And that's another reason I like to get books from the digital library....
(2)

Apparently it is a real word. I looked it up. I even used it in the right context. Yay!
(1)

Blech? Is that even a word? LOL
(1)

Yeah Pam..........kind of gross.

Actually, quite gross. Blech!
(1)

Gershun, I have to admit my DD will not get a library book because "people read them while they are on the toilet".. I have to say I never thought about that until she pointed it out...
(1)

I used to go to a library until my mom relayed a gross story to me. She was an avid book reader. Practically every week she'd come home with a stack of books until there was a bed bug infestation in the library. I mean when you think about it, it was bound to happen. People with bed bugs have a book beside their bed and voila! So not to alarm anyone, but be careful.
(1)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter