Follow
Read More
Find Care & Housing
Rage by Bob Woodward
(4)

Alva,

Great suggestion! I know a couple of people that I could give that book to as a birthday gift! LOL. Eh, may not exactly be a welcome gift though.
(0)

Others are reading to me at the moment. We have a local radio station for the blind. Many sighted people like myself tune in as well.

The read bestseller fiction and non fiction books daily, along with newspapers, magazines and medical journals.
(1)

Cwillie, I bought an e-reader some years ago... But I still buy paper books... I like bookshops ;-) to save space and money I also borrow books from the library and we exchange books with my colleagues.
(2)

Two word Anche - digital books.
I'm so cheap I get a library copy, and if I'm quick without having to wait.
(1)

I have just finished a book by an Italian writer. I think the book has been translated into English, the title I suppose has been translated literally : the temptation of being happy.
I will now start a historical novel about Venice. Iam also waiting for the 5th volume of Robert Galbraith. I have read the first four in English. I know it was released on the 15th September but I will wait for the paper back edition to become a little bit cheaper.
(0)

Just Finished Clutter, an Untidy History, about a woman who goes home to take care of her Mom's hoarded mess. A history of Hoarding. Quite good. Recommend it.
(2)

Golden, interesting you mentioned Father Brown in an earlier post. In the UK we’ve had about 5 or 6 seasons of Father Brown dramas on TV over the past few years. They are excellent if you like the books. Not sure if the programmes are available in the US but worth a look. We love them as they are filmed very close to where we live, so enjoy recognising the locations. In terms of books, I’m working my way through the booklist of Persephone Books, a small publishing house focusing mostly on female writers (UK and Us) from about 1900 to 1980. Fascinating social history from the various period settings.
(1)

Still plugging away at my Great British Detectives and thoroughly enjoying them, but, speaking of Ruth and Rosa, I found a new Armand Gamache book that was recently released. I bought it and am saving it for when I finish what I am reading now. 😊😊😊
(2)

Love Ruth and her pet duck Rosa.
(4)

This is my second Louise Penny book. I'm enjoying so far.😊
(5)

Daughter of 1930,

I looked up the book you mentioned. After what I've seen in life, read in books and learned from others, I'm not surprised by anything anymore.
(3)

Educated by Tara Westover, a memoir about growing up in a religiously zealot, abusive family where there was little education or contact with the world. I’m kinda doubting the truth of some of the author's tales....some seem extremely improbable
(0)

Bookstand picks: 1) Legends Of The Wild West - True Tales Of
Rebels & Heroes
2) Life-100 People Who Changed The World
3) The US Presidents - Best And Worst Of All
Times
#1 and #3 published by Centennial Media
#2- is by Merideth Corporation

Multiple waits in the car and other distancing routines plus medical offices devoid of any reading materials - including pharmaceutical brochures - I decided short stories about the famous and infamous of all time fits into the distancing routine.

I'm still in search of a current and past cartoon magazine of all times.
(1)

Love the Gamache series by Louise Penny and have read them all. I grew up in that general area though a bit west of Montreal and lived in Montreal for a couple of years.

I have finished the Father Brown series and am now into another mystery series by  R. Austin Freeman featuring John Thorndyke as the medical legal expert. The $1.99 for the Great British detectives was very well spent. I have been through all of Holmes (Doyle) Father Brown (Chesterton) and am well into Thorndyke and only half way through the ebook.
(5)

I just love Louise Penny; on our way back from Quebec last summer we took a long detour in order to go and have lunch at the restaurant that may have served as a model for the bistro featured in her books.
(5)

I just started a new book. "A Better Man" by Louise Penny
(4)

Reading "Why? because your anointed." By T.D Jakes
(2)

Reading Dr. Leslie Kernisan on recent B-12 deficiency blog.
(1)

Nah, Barb, I reckon you’re just fantasising about the ‘little pin (that) bores through the castle wall’. A lot of people on this site could do with one!
(0)

I'm reading the National Enquirer, because .. who cares anyway. It's like eating popcorn.. it tastes sort of good, but not filling or nutritional.

I'm also reading corona tests, observations ..to see the 'experts' either lie or be wrong. We probably All have been exposed. Reality bites ...
(2)

Richard II
"Impartial are our eyes and ears:
Were he my brother, nay my kindgdom's heir.
As he is but my father's brother's son,
Now by my scepter's awe, I make a vow.
Such neighborhood nearness to our scared blood
Should nothing privilege him, nor partialize
The unstooping firmess of my upright soul:
He is our subject, Mowbray; so art thou;
Free speech and fearless I to thee allow"
Henry II, Shakespeare.
(3)

I'm reading through Vatta's War, a fun SF series by Elizabeth Moon. I've been rationing them so I have something on my wish list to look forward to.
(1)

The Last Closet: The Dark Side of Avalon by Moira Greyland

I love true stories based on a person's life. This story has a very rough beginning with a very good and true ending which I've heard is there, but I have not finished reading it yet. She writes not as a victim of what she lived through but for those whose lives has been like her's and offering them hope.

It is the autobiography of the daughter of Walter H. Breen and Marion Zimmer Bradley. However, it is not for the faint of heart.
(2)

Richard II, Shakespeare. Because in case you don't all already realize it, I'm a real nerd.
(5)

The Lincoln Conspiracy by Brad Meltzer: covers the 1860 election, the post election period (Nov 1860 - Mar 1861) where southern states are succeeding, and the plan to assassinate Lincoln as he passes through Baltimore on his way to his first inauguration is implement.

Lincoln was the first "outsider" from the new Republican party elected President in a four way race where he garnered less than 40% of the popular vote. I was particularly stuck by all the name calling and negative press; times don't seem to change much since every attack on Lincoln's appearance and character has been repeated on Trump 160 years later.

If you enjoy history written more as a detective story with lots of details on personalities around the main character, this is a wonderful read.
(1)

It's ok Margaret, nice really!
(1)

OK!
(1)

Good for you, Margaret!
And thanks for sharing the humor around.
(1)

I hope you don't mind, Sendhelp, I've just reposted it to the Jokes thread.
(2)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter