Follow
Read More
Find Care & Housing
Tana French's The Witch Elm. Because, you know. Witches!
I still remember, NobodyGetsIt, the interviews with Chris Watts, his standing there in front of the garage with his arms crossed, remember thinking "This isn't good at all". Looked like a liar from the getgo. What an unimaginable thing.
(2)

I'm on my second reading of "My Daddy is a Hero - How Chris Watts went from Family Man to Family Killer" by Lena Derhally. I did not want to read the book written by Cheryln Cadle after watching an interview with her regarding her book. Having family who have lived in the Northglenn/Thornton area of Colorado, they were about 20 minutes from Frederick. I wasn't as obsessed over it as many others but, I did find myself watching some of the documentaries and YouTube videos regarding the case. What a horrifying way to die for those two precious little girls along with their pregnant mother - it still haunts me.

I became interested when we had a horrific homicide near my old high school - very similar to this case but the husband escaped and is on the FBI's Most Wanted List.

It's sad how one person's actions affect so many especially the ones who worked directly on the case. Detective Dave Baumhover having to take a leave of absence (if he hasn't already retired) due to PTSD. Also, have seen the interview with Tammy Lee who did the polygraph test/interrogation interview.
(1)

Willie, I barely sleep anymore anyways so I figure I might as well be reading. But yeah, really quite enjoying this book.
(1)

I love all of Karen Slaughter's Will Trent/Sara Linton books Gershun, I can't do all nighters any more though!
(2)

Someone here has been to a place in Quebec like or was the basis for the bistro in the Louise Penny Gamache series. Was that you Pam? I can't remember who it was.
(1)

I'm reading The Last Widow by Karin Slaughter right now. Hubs is away working so I have lots of time to indulge in my favorite past time.

I love to read before I go to sleep but sometimes especially if I'm reading a really good book saying to myself "just one more chapter" usually turns into an all nighter. Hubs always says "try to make this one last longer" Obvious he's not a reader with that remark. :)
(3)

Golden,

Is Kindle your favorite way to read?

Don’t laugh but I listen to my local radio station for the blind. They read phenomenal books. It’s a non profit station. Books are read by marvelous volunteers. Just as many sighted people listen as blind listeners.
(1)

Oh great. I dive into a series I like too. I spent too much on them but they were worth it and I have them on Kindle so I can reread them. The Great British Detectives have made up for that. $1.99 for months of reading. 😊
(2)

Golden, I have read all of them! Once I find a series I like I just dive in! Thank goodness for the library or I would be broke!
(2)

pamz - I love her writing. it's worth reading them all. The new one is the 16th of the series. The characters are great, Most if not all of the other books are centered in a small town in Quebec. The atmosphere there is enchanting. I want to live in a place like that. Glad you're enjoying it.
(2)

Golden I am reading the new Louise Penny now!! Almost done, loving it so far.
(1)

NeedHelp, I read usually after 3 pm. I have an "Old Nurse's Back" which means it is cranky. I stay on my feet from time I get up about 6-7 in morning, so you know, house, garden, walks, shopping, cook, laundry, whatever keeps me moving. About 3 usually a nap which starts as reading and ends quickly enough now as reading. Then up to eat, watch an hour of news, back to reading until the beau gives up HIS TV time (seldom a match with mine until Better Call Saul), moves to his computer, and I watch TV a few hours. Then back to reading. Don't know how many hours a day I do. I got my first Kindle recently what with the eyesight going South a bit. And I surprised myself by loving it (the way with me and "new" things). So am moving finally into the 21st century. But yeah, reading. Other worlds to sink into when you are tired of this one. I love it.
And that Witch book? Only kidding. 30.00 at Amazon. Rich for my blood. Have to wait for libraries to reopen. I was reading the New York Times Book Section on Sunday and say it mentioned and just doubled up with laughter. Said to the Beau, I can't WAIT until the "What are you Reading Thread comes round again".
(2)

Alva,

Impressive list! What is your favorite time to read? My husband often falls asleep with a book on his chest.
(0)

I believe it's considered the standard manual, Alva, yes.

[Where's the icon for tongue-in-cheek - ???]
(2)

Just finished Mary Gordon's book "Payback".
Now reading " What Are you Going Through" by Sigrid Nunez.
Coming soon from Amazon is "Magic: A history From Alchemy to Witchcraft from The Ice Age to the Present." by Chris Gosden. He's an Oxford Archaeologist. It's gotta be good, right? I am going to consider it educational; hoping it doesn't lead to a whole new career path moving forward.
(1)

Finished the Armand Gamache by Louise Penny. I got such a nice warm family feeling at the end. Now I'm back to the Great British Detective series and enjoying the adventures of Eugene Valmont!

Glad, I got the freeby you mentioned - "If She Knew" and will read that when I have finished the GBD series. Happy you are liking your Kindle.

I hurt my shoulder doing exercises so I have a great excuse (reason?) to spend lots of time resting it and reading for the next few days. 😊
(2)

Once these days I’ve got to visit Trinity County. I’ve never been to that part of the state. I absolutely love the Sierras, so beautiful all year round! I looked up the Ripple Creek Cabins, what a charming place! Old fashion cabins & beautiful sights!
(2)

Worried, I so remember that book. I SO remember it.
I love Trinity County. We always went as a family, kids, grandkids to a place just outside Coffee Creek, cabins, no TV or anything, fishing, hiking. What a joy that place is. Just bikes and badminton and the Trinity running virtually outside the door. They have a page on Facebook; Ripple Creek Cabins. Haven't been back in years now, Miss it. Such an empty and beautiful place, that area of California.
(0)

Currently re-reading Shallow Grave in Trinity County. A true story about the murder of teenager Stephanie Bryan, kidnapper in Berkeley CA and murdered in 1950. It’s a great read, although it’s very sad.
(1)

Blacktop Wasteland by S. A. Cosby. Just finished Susan Wigg's The Lost and Found Bookshop.
(0)

I finally caved and started the new Armand Gamache and am 2/3 of the way through it. It's as good as the others though set in Paris not Quebec. I sort of miss the Quebec setting.. The last authors in the Great British Detective collection just weren't doing it for me especially when I knew i had Armand Gamache waiting for me. I'll probably finish it tonight and then what???? :(

ITRR - and anyone interested - The Great Influenza by Barry is available in pdf free.
(5)

"The Great Influenza" by John M. Barry

Truly something everyone should read during the pandemic. Helps to understand the how and why behind everything that happens.
(2)

I love to read a good novel. Lately once I put the book down before finishing it and start up again I don't remember what I read so I have to reread a few chapters. Very frustrating sometimes. I like nonfiction.
(0)

The two new Debbie MacComber novels,, one regular and the next is her new Christmas novel. They are quick reads, and always a feel good story!
(2)

Reading a book on my Kindle for the first time. Never thought I would like it as much as I do. Maybe it is the eyes getting older and just so much easier to see, actually seems to hold my attention more, too.

Let's see what is the book? A freebie that I downloaded. "If She Knew" Book 1 of a series. Pretty good so far.
(3)

I have finished the psychology book... It was simple, full of examples and with some tips but I think it is sometimes not realistic. But maybe it just because we have been taught for centuries in a way that make us put the others first and feel guilty.
(0)

Nearing the end of the Great British Detectives collection which I have thoroughly enjoyed except Bulldog. Drummond. I skipped most of that section due to mediocre writing and violence which did not add to the stories. The rest of the collection is good. I love the scenes in London which bring back memories of my time there.
(3)

The Spirit Filled Life by Charles Stanley & Outlander by Diana Gabaldon.
(4)

Zealot, The Life and Times of Jesus of Nazareth by Reza Aslan. An amazing read. Just finished The Overstory. Loved the beginning part. 30% of the way in began to lose interest, too concentrated on people, not enough on trees. Before that Wonder Valley by Ivy Pochada.
(2)

Of Love and Shadows by Isabel Allende is available instantly on a Kindle through Amazon. $11.99 U.S.

Also, free on Audible.
(3)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter