Follow

We get so tied up with care giving that we forget to have hopes and dreams; plans for a future. Take a few minutes and dream about something positive in your future or for your future. Share what you can...

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
1 2 3
I'm living 1 of my dreams! Outside it's thundering loudly. Rain has been falling either very heavily or sometimes it lightens up for awhile. I love the rumble of more thunder outside while I'm safe and comfy inside. It's dark outside, yet the time is 10 am. Strange...but the beauty of the cleansing rain can't be erased. How I love a good thunderstorm!
(1)

Katie222, Thank you sooo much! You're the one and only to wish me well. Life is tough without all the caregiving and medical problems, so it's nice to hear a kind word. I'll take my health problems and my share of the work on vacation with me. We eat all of our meals in at the house we rent to save money. I know so very many caregivers would love to have a whole month away from home...and I am also sure so many deserve it very very much. I've been through those years where just 5 uninterrupted minutes sound so precious and impossible...I really do get it! Sometimes I need those 5 minutes too!

I've been looking forward to this very much. It's so hard to be with many family members without this vacation we do annually. Thanks again.
(1)

Coloresue, Enjoy that vacation to Sanibel....I love that place and that is one of the first places I dream to visit again. I would always walk the beach right after sunrise after having coffee and be amazed at all the shells that washed up on the beach overnight. This is one of the places I imagine when I sit and decompress from the day gone by.
(1)

Wow, twocents, could you find a home for the cats and follow your dreams? It's such a great dream if you're serious about it. I'd hate to see you miss it.
(0)

If I didn't have cats I'd sell house, contents, buy an rv and live where I want to, go see places I could not get to when I was driving semi.
(0)

hahahahahahahahahahahaha
(0)

LOL I think you mean't to say screw off right?
(0)

Oops forgot to add that I dream about telling my siblings to screw after my Mom passes!!!

I know it won't happen but it's just a dream!
(1)

Every day I dream about doing what I want when I want..

No one depending on me...

Eat when I want and whatever I want...

Being responsible for only "me"!!!
(1)

I cannot wait to be able to sleep in, oh to be able to sleeeep!
Then be able to go somewhere and breathe fresh air.
To be able to not rush home worrying about what she is getting into.
Omg I cannot WAIT to throw away all her junk when she goes into a home.
I just want to sit alone on a porch and watch the sun go down over the ocean.
(1)

My stupendous vacation! I'm soooo blessed! I want to give this break to everyone because so many of you need this so much!!
(0)

I'm dreaming of August with extended family at Sanibel Island! mmmhhhh!! My parents will be there and I can do some caregiving/spend time with them. My hubby won't come so I'll be relieved of that caregiving. My son may or may not come according to his ECT schedule, but i won't be caregiving for him. Just pitching in and doing my share in general.
(0)

Taking a cruise and being miserable watching couples walking around holding hands. I don't know. I will see how I feel when my most beautiful lover is gone. I certainly will try not to sit around and be sad...But there will be days when I will not be able to help that feeling. I will take it a day at a time. And, then enjoy life until it is my turn to leave. I have my faith in God and Jesus Christ. I am sure that He has something in store for me.
(0)

First I was dreaming about the baby boy who was coming (grandson #1) - he is now 3 months old and really cute!!!

Then I was dreaming of having my own space again and living WITH my husband instead of my mom...and tomorrow we by the condo downstairs...ok not exactly far away but I am hoping allows for care giving but also a life outside of that.
(1)

I am dreaming about taking a vacation once this episode in my life ends. I would much rather have that vacation with my partner, but that will not happen. When my husband died, my kids tried to talk me into taking a trip and just get away. I did not do it. Instead I wallowed in my sadness. This time, I will leave within a week after he is buried. I must get some rest and do something for myself. I MUST
(2)

I am also looking forward to saying something good that someone may actually like someday on this thread...heehee.
I wish everyone well with all their projects while doing this demanding job of caregiving....we need to think of ourselves too, if only for a little time, and find a balance if and when we can.
(0)

I avoid looking too far ahead because for me the future is a very scary place. When I was younger I opted for short term jobs and self employment like house cleaning because I didn't want to be tied to always doing the same thing and being stuck in the "pink collar ghetto" as we referred to it then. The consequences are that the type of work I have always done can be physically demanding and the pay has never been great, and now I fear being passed over in favour of younger workers. I dread having to get back into all that after many years absence, and doubt my ability to do so.
On the plus side, I have taken up running, something I always wanted to pursue but never had the schedule to keep with it. I started out walking every day last year to get out of the house and preserve my sanity, and then tried running a bit to change things up. I was appalled by how difficult running had become, 10 paces and I was done! Sticking to a walk run program was difficult through the winter, but I can now run several kilometres. I'm trying to work up to 5K so I can join in an organized run this fall... wish me luck!
(3)

I wish I could say I had a future, because I feel overwhelmed with caregiving. I used to be a special education teacher, but had to retire after 16 years due to health issues. After a few years, I began volunteering at my old elementary school. I was also getting paid part-time when the budget allowed it. I have done that for about 7 years now, but had to quit last year to care for my aunt. So, staying on topic, my fantasy is to get back to working with kids.And, probably more importantly, fantasy#2 is to find a decent boyfriend or husband! ! I have been through quite a few losers!!
(1)

Today I am looking forward to my daughters college graduation from college. Its been a long haul as a single broke mom who never went to college,, and I am getting away to the shore ( she goes to college in RI) for 3 full days !!!!
Im so proud of her !... so tomorrow AM as soon as the aide gets here Im out the door with my box of tissues !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
(4)

I dream of the day when I don't have to do all of the physical caregiving all by myself EVERY SINGLE DAY! !!
(4)

I often feel that my life is all over and that this is it for years to come. This discourages and depresses me. I sat down and thought about what I would do if I only could...and this helped me feel a little better. Then other times it makes me feel like my life and the World is passing me by, and I see myself getting older in the mirror. It depends on my mood. I have a painting on my wall of a beautiful place I used to visit....I have made it a habit to look at that painting daily and pretend I am there, if only for a brief moment....then I tell it that I will be back to that place someday! I feel that life is a glass soda bottle full of rocks that won't budge when you turn it upside down...but someday one rock will fall and then they all will come out like an avalanche. Since things could change ;quickly I have leaned to life in the moment and only day to day...and try to enjoy the very little things in life.
(0)

Part of the idea about dreaming about a future is thinking about a future...Sometimes I feel so caught up in the care giving duties I forget that I am a person who is entitled to think and plan for a future independent of my care giving duties. Do you ever feel this way?

Taking control and coming up with a plan or at least ideas that could lead to a plan can really be life changing...give it a try!
(1)

I'm dreaming about getting a good nights sleep for a change and not laying awake all night worrying about everything.
(1)

Hey, May day is approaching (May First) make a May Basket of flowers and give it to someone on Friday. It will make you feel better and maybe make their day as well. After the winter we have had in the North East, flowers are something to dream about!
(0)

i dream of meeting a nice woman to enjoy my remaining years with but any woman who would meet my no - nonsense criteria would probably backhand me plumb outta my chair in the first 30 minutes of meeting ..
no , 20 minutes ..
(2)

Day dreaming is a problem of mine -- I do a lot of it. Updating the kitchen, spending the winter in Florida, moving into a condo and on and on and on. Realistically I know none of this is going to happen I'm caregiving my brother and as he ages and declines he doesnt accept change well. I'm 70 and can't imagine my life without my dear down syndrome brother.
(0)

Hi folks part of my dream came true, I met my grandson! He arrived a few weeks early but he is very cute and I can't wait to babysit. Ohh Ohh I am signing up for caregiving again! Some people never learn...yes but I want to this time.

Also: My birthday is coming up and there is a science workshop at the Aquarium in Boston on that day. I signed up to go. Wow an entire day at the aquarium doing science - cool. Called my sister and told her she needs to visit mom next Sat. I wonder If I can wangle a night at the hotel near the aquarium??? Now I know I am dreaming!!! My son usually is a good bet but he has this new wonderful son and is still figuring out how to deal with only 2 hours of sleep at a time...hee hee care giving is fun at any age!
(0)

These past few days I am having trouble dreaming of anything nice or different. After no good changes for so long a time it is easy to get discouraged and believe things will never change, only get more and more problematic. Problems used to resolve themselves faster when I was younger.
(3)

I dream is to move to Idaho to be near my daughter and twin grandsons. I hope everyone can accomplish at least part of their dream if not all.
(5)

Getting my own place, a good job (might be fantasy @ age 55) and getting my life back and not dealing with obsessive compulsive parkinsons dementia because mom will be in a facility that she loves more than life itself (another fantasy)

E
(1)

1 2 3
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter