Follow

been reading a fun book online for free . its called " beyond collapse " . the first advice that the author offers is " you dont have to go nuts " . buy a little extra with each grocery visit and increase your storage capabilities . i havent spent much at all and have 70 qts of pears , 80 qts of beets , 60 qts of potatoes / cabbage , canned venison , pork , beef and ham . apples , cherries , pickles , and 2.5 gallon glass barrels of rice , beans , on and on .
what am i preparing for ? whatta ya got ?
its a fun hobby and i cant really go wrong . an illness , injury , natural disaster , or further slump in the economy could turn my silliness into deadly serious business in a matter of hours .
this book is the most riveting thing ive read in years . much of it , hopefully , youll never need , but what if ?
my rainwater collection rig has been working fine for 9 months now and i havent missed the monthly water bill . i hate that sh*t in the mailbox .

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
wisefoodstorage maybe not as fun but more efficient. :-)
(0)

Pam, you made me laugh. I canned for the first time last year and spent hours googling the proper way to do it.
(0)

Hey Captain so glad you are back... Missed you.. Keep stocking up..
(2)

ive ran the ' west virginia stupid ' renter off and im getting control of this hilltop . the garage squirrels are expiring in various innovative ways , ditto the garage opossum . the vegetation is pretty peaceful and we get along fine . im still ok with the spiders if they stay the hell out of my lemonaid . the mice are getting snapped right behind the neck on a daily basis .
theres a world war going on here but you have to be an insider to see it .
(2)

Recently retired so have more time to get busy with putting stuff away... on my to do list. No room for a garden but I'm sure I can at least plant tomatoes and such... can't wait for spring !!! Glad you're back Cap.... let the partaaaaa begin !!
(2)

kellse,
please , continue......
(1)

lol I do have a smart aleck remark handy but I wont
(3)

kellse,
a 60 yr old still tastes good .
juss fn sayin ..
(1)

well I will be all set, can eat my mothers 20 year old food she has been storing
(3)

hi pam .
i HAD 75 bottles of pear wine , but i haveta admit -- its down to about 25 now . i think im into rice wine next . the pear wine is better at room temp than chilled . ya know you did something right when that happens .
missed ya pam . you use few words but theyre usually pretty rife for thought ..
(1)

Captain, 21st century children have no idea how to can food. They never even saw a yeast packet for making bread. I decided to prep by making wine. I have 90 bottles, I think that's what FEMA recommended to have on hand in case of a natural disaster.
(4)

brooklyn ? you need BULLETS . lol
(1)

It sounds like a plan, Cap. I'm in Brooklyn. I don't think it works do well here, but if i were in burbs or more outer, i'd be doing this.
(0)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.