Follow

- me and momma went to see daddy yesterday and OMG he seemed happy! It was a great visit although it was cut short because of my severe pain. It seems as though the increase in his anti depressant is working. He has been getting up out of bed and going out in the day room and socializing!! Isn't that incredible? I am so much happier seeing how much better he's feeling. Though it was hilarious - dad asked mom when she was gonna bail him out of there and I looked up and asked him "can you walk yet???" He looked at me like he wanted to say f you but he just smirked at me and mom tried to help explain that it just wasn't possible to take good care of him at home. He just said well they really do treat me well here! WTF??? Where is my father??? So even though in tremendous pain, I had a good visit with daddy!

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
So glad that you are seeing an improvement. Nice to read good news. Blessings for all of you. Thanks for sharing your good news.

I hope that you continue to see good results.
(0)

Happy for you. Sadly I have witnessed the reverse with mirtazapine. It was recommended as Mom was losing weight with no appetite and only wanting to sleep. Enter this antidepressant and she is wide awake, talking incessantly with little more appetite but making no sense. And seeing things and people that are not there. Not sure if this is better.
(0)

It took a new facility and 3 years for my MIL's meds to be adjusted to the point where she actually wanted to get out of bed and be more social. Some of the change may have to do with accepting not being in her home anymore, but whatever the reason, the change has been dramatic, so I totally get your amazement and joy. Yay! I hope it stays that way for him!
(2)

It is wonderful to hear good news from you.
Now only a word of caution. Antidepressants, like all powerful meds can act on us one way one time and another another time. I would like you to be aware of the side effects of these meds, and if you see them report them early on. They can send people into more of an "acting out" phase, even to a violent striking out, and they can occ. increase suicidal ideation. These heavy duty drugs, for dementia and for mentally ill, are cocktails that at times may need tweaking.
But for NOW you have some relief, and that is just so great to hear, because he has some relief as well.
(2)

Isn't that great! When I rescued mthr to have her colon cancer removed, at one of the follow up appointments I asked the doc to prescribe an anti depressant. I think mthr needed this for the previous 60 years! The nurse at the assisted living acted like she thought that was ridiculous for an older person, but mthr's disposition brightened considerably. Just wish she could have had this when she was younger. So glad you have found the key to your father's happiness!
(3)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter