Follow

I have always loved these words - as my father and mother were so deeply in love and tied to one another. They also have meaning as my mother couldn't swim (stick with me here), so when we went to the beach, she'd draw pictures in the sand, or make the most amazing sculptures. People would stop and admire them. At any rate, while it was Daddy who died first, the reference in the lyrics to pictures in the sand means a lot to me and illustrates the reunion of my parents.
"I believe my steps are growin' wearier each day
Still I've got another journey on my mind
Lures of this old world have ceased to make me wanna stay
And my one regret is leavin' you behind

But if it proves to be his will that I am first to go
And somehow I've a feelin' it will be
When it comes your time to travel likewise, don't feel lost
For I will be the first one that you'll see

And I'll be waiting on the far side banks of Jordan
I'll be sitting drawing pictures in the sand
And when I see you coming, I will rise up with the shout
And come running through the shallow waters, reaching for your hand

Through this life we've labored hard to earn our meager fare
It's brought us trembling hands and failing eyes
So I'll just rest here on this shore and turn my eyes away
Until you come, then we'll see paradise

And I'll be waiting on the far side banks of Jordan
And come running through the shallow waters, reaching for your hand

I'll be waiting on the far side banks of Jordan
And come running through the shallow waters, reaching for your hand."

Bless you all in your journeys. As Psalm 30:5 says - "Weeping may endure for the night, but joy comes in the morning."

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
Beautiful Poem Thankyou for sharing
(0)

Love this! Thank you for sharing!
(0)

Such a sweet love story. Thanks for sharing.
(0)

Myownlife

I love your sentiment that your dad needs plenty of time to get things "perfect."
(0)

Thank you for sharing.  June & Johnny Cash sang this to each other in one of their documentaries & I thought then how appropriate a song it was for my parents.  My sweet Mama is waiting for my Daddy whom I live with.  62 years of marriage and to the end they loved each other fiercely - I'm so thankful I was able to see what love looks like to the end.  Daddy is not a grump old man to me, but he doesn't want to interact with the public.  He's just waiting for the day he gets to be with "the best woman in the world" and so I just make sure he doesn't want for anything.  Enjoy your time with your Mama and aren't we greatly blessed to have been raised by such amazing parents.  Blessing to you, also.
(4)

First of all, CRBOFNC - Love to you and let warm memories of your Daddy bring your heart comfort. Hugs!!

Thank you, everyone, for your comments. They were an amazing couple and exemplary parents - considering how hard it is to be PERFECT parents! We stayed out of trouble and married well, so I credit them for that - at least in part.

We saw Mother (I call her Mamacita on Facebook) today. She had been in SNC for a day and a half. She was in a good mood. Pretty confused as to exactly where in the building she was and used to be. They hadn't had time to get her room completely set up, so it was kind of a mess, but I'm sure they'll get it put together soon. Her artwork will be hung on the walls around her bed. We may have to take some stuff home with us, as well. My sister and her husband will probably be coming at some point toward the end of February. They live 4 hours away, so only make it once a month. I'm every Sunday, and POA, as I'm only an hour away. I usually bring old pictures with me, as she really enjoys seeing the faces of people she has forgotten. I usually have an anecdote or two to share with her (good thing my long-term memory is so much better than my short-term memory!!). She's such a joy, but it is still in my mind the way she was when she was my age - 65, or even 20 years before that. It's hard to reconcile the two, so I just pretend in my mind that she's a new sweet little lady I'm visiting. :)
(3)

Beautiful, thank you. That last move feels different, I know.
(2)

Nonni,
So sorry for the loss of your father.
Condolences.
(1)

Wow. That was so very touching. I've just lost 4 loved ones - the last being my disabled 4 year old girl fiiend (of which I wrote an ode for).
(1)

What a beautiful tribute and a reminder that it's not the end of life; just the end of a temporary journey before we are called Home to our real life!
(3)

Crbofnc, I am so sorry for the loss of your Father. I hope you find the words of this song reassuring, and know that your Father is now out of pain and is at peace. Hugs from Florida.
(3)

I have no appropriate words, just so thankful that I’m here, reading this.
I so want my kids to remember us like that...wish I had your parents’ marriage playbook. What a blessing for you to know you are part of them. I hope your mom’s final days are an easy transition into glory.
peace and hugs to everyone here.
(2)

crbofnc, I am so sorry for your loss; you are not alone because we are all here for you. This forum has helped me tremendously on my heavy-hearted days.... Angel wings are hugging you so tight...:)
(2)

What a day that will be for both of them.

It must have been amazing to grow up and be raised surrounded by such love.

Thank you for sharing.
(3)

Absolutely beautiful. 💜
(2)

That is a beautiful tribute. Unfortuantely, I can hardly see it through the tears. We just buried my father yesterday. He and my mom have been married for 65 years!
(5)

RedVanAnnie,

Your words gave me a warm chuckle and provides an explanation with my dad having gone almost 20 years ago and Mom in her 90's still going strong. Dad will need all that time to get things "perfect" for Mom, as there cannot be a speck of dust anywhere :)
(4)

What a beautiful tribute!
(2)

Thank you for sharing. Refreshing viewpoint of snf as a last move.
(2)

Your song is a comforting thought. My husband always said he wanted to "make things easier for me." When he died a few years ago, I thought of it as his going on ahead to get things ready for me.
(5)

Ah, how beautiful. Thank you.
(2)

What a beautiful tribute to your mom Vera.
((hugs))
(7)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter