Wellness and Nutrition

Follow

I am fascinated with learning better ways of caring for ourselves and our elders in the area of Nutrition and our overall wellness. So I decided to start this thread for myself and others to share information about eating nutritious foods for good health. There is much information about Diets and Nutrition that is available to all of us but their isn't as much information about the psychological and emotional aspects of eating that leave many of us feeling overweight and frustrated so I want to share information about that here also. This is a good place to share ways to help our elders get the nutrients that they need since this is a challenge for many. So please share your success strategies and Ideas so we can all help each other and our elders to be as healthy as possible in these stressful times. Of course keep in mind that we should all check with our Doctors and Nutritional professionals even in the area of Nutrition because sometimes due to medications and other health factors certain foods should be avoided.

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.

Comments

Show:
1 2 3 4 5
Looking for the recipe thread- how do I find it?
(0)

So glad to find threads on health and nutrition! Several years ago I lost a lot of weight- was able to gt off blood pressure medicine, less back and joint pain, and more energy. The last couple of months I've regained some because of the stress of taking care of my mom. I'm trying to get back on track before the holidays! I lost the weight by increasing protein, eating LOTS of lower carb veggies - about 6 cups per day- and limiting the fruit (even natural sugar can slow down the weight loss process). My daughter Laura and her husband are both internal medicine doctors. About a year ago they read Engine 2 and Forks over Knives. They decided to do their Bloodwork, go vegan for a month and redo their Bloodwork and see what differences it could make. They were shocked at the huge difference it made. Kenny's cholesterol was borderline but had dropped 50 points, Laura's was not high but it even dropped about 30 points. Overall there were significant improvements. I downloaded the books on my iPad and my husband read them, now he's vegan (so I'm using eating vegan- not willing to cook 2 meals). He says he feels better!
(0)

Caring for our loved ones is a huge responsibility and it is so easy to let ourselves go by the wayside because of exhaustion, depression and many others reasons. In an additional effort to help give ourselves the love and understanding and support we need to continue caring for our loved ones and ourselves we will be doing the following. Anyone is welcome to join us..

I just want to let everyone know that several of us caregivers are starting a book club for weight loss support. Their is no cost except people have to buy their own book. The book is "A Course In Weight Loss" by Marianne Williamson. It is not a diet or exercise book. The information discusses the underlying causes of weight issues. The book is a spiritual book but generic as far as religion goes. It was written with the view of helping people of all beliefs. We will be discussing one chapter a week. Starting August 2nd at the latest. If you are someone who struggles with weight issues and want to get to the root of the problem so you can live healthier and lose weight then this is for you. If you just want some support to continue on any existing program then you will find it here also. We will be using another forum for our discussions, and like I said it is free.

Contact me if you would like more information. cricketinafryingpan at comcast dot net.

*´¨)
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)
(¸.•´ (¸.•` ¤ Chirp Chirp Cricket Hugsღ
(0)

6 Simple Tips For Managing Stress For Weight Loss

1. Breathe deeply and regularly
Doing so can actually decrease the tone of your sympathetic nervous system and increase the tone of your parasympathetic nervous system, which is the portion of your nervous system that promotes relaxation and good digestion.

2. Spend some quiet time every day in prayer, meditation, or a purposeful relaxation session
All three have been scientifically proven to facilitate a relaxation response in your body that can decrease blood pressure, decrease pulse rate, and improve blood circulation. Meditation and relaxation sessions can be greatly enhanced by listening to any number of audio CDs that are designed to facilitate optimal relaxation and mental clarity.

3. Practice visualization
Almost all great athletes practice some form of visualization. As author Wayne Dyer says, "you'll see it when you believe it." Spend some time each day visualizing your ideal body and going about your day in a balanced and emotionally poised manner. You can include visualization in your prayer/meditation/relaxation session.

4. Make sure that you are getting the nutrients that you need for a healthy nervous system
Your nutritional status can make all the difference between being able to handle a certain amount of stress without breaking down versus quickly suffering health problems when faced with stress. While it's important to your overall health that you eat a well balanced and nutrient-dense diet, for emotional health specifically, it is important to ensure adequate intake of B vitamins, Vitamin D, and two long chain omega-3 fatty acids, DHA and EPA.

5. Be honest about your feelings
There's a reason why 'know thyself' is a wise proverb/saying in virtually every culture of our world. Striving to know yourself and what you are truly feeling on a daily basis is absolutely essential to preventing unpleasant but genuine emotions from becoming chronic states. Anger, frustration, and anxiousness can all help to fuel personal growth and character development if you are honest with yourself and seek to discover their root causes.

One of the best methods to increase your awareness of what you are truly feeling is journal writing. The rules are simple: no censorship, no possibility of another set of eyes being able to read your thoughts, just pure flow of thoughts from your mind and heart onto a piece of paper or your computer screen. Regular journal writing in this manner can be extremely beneficial to your emotional health.

6. Move your body
It's a well established fact that regular exercise is one of the best habits you can adopt that will help you avoid depression and stay emotionally balanced. It doesn't matter what kind of exercise you do. What's important is to be active and use your joints and muscles on a regular basis.
(0)

Tonight I listened to an amazing book called “Menopause and Beyond” by Christiane Northrup and she brought up some great points about losing weight or getting rid of the middle age spread, lol Her advice is excellent and as follows;

1. Curb metabolic stress hormones by avoiding alcohol, high glycemic foods, msg, gluten. (all these makes you crave more carbs)
2. Weigh daily to get rid of excess fluids before they turn to fat. ( I say if this stresses one out to much don't rush into this but gradually work it in)
3. Focus on portion sizes. Start using a smaller plate.
4. Wait 20 minutes before going for a second serving. If after 20 minutes your still hungry eat a little more. Take the serving dishes off of the table.
5. Exercise with the goal of a lifetime of mobility.

Eat 3 meals a day with Breakfast being the largest of the three and dinner the smallest. Eat dinner between 5-6 Pm. Allow two healthy snacks, mid-morning and mid-afternoon. Healthy snacks would be fresh fruits, nuts in moderation, veggies, beans. Avoid packaged processed foods. It's always best to eat what nature provides.

I just want to add the importance of drinking plenty of water. The normal amount of water is 8 glasses per day, anyone overweight should drink more depending on the amount of weight a person is. If a person has bladder issues this might not apply to them but the 8 glasses a day rule applies to everyone. On average each one of us will loose 8 glasses of water per day through urine, bowels, perspiration and breathing. This is not counting exercise. Getting plenty of water daily helps to clean our vital organs, digest foods better, and regulate healthy bowel movements. Most people find that by increasing their water intake everything else in their bodies begins to work better and a real plus is that it helps to elimanate excess weight.

A little side note on water and staying hydrated...when caring for my elderly friend out in CA last year I had learned that many elderly people can have low blood pressure caused by being dehydrated....so lets keep our elders drinking healthy water!

There are many other tips to help with weight loss in earlier posts of this thread. As we start the new year lets do our best to take this information to heart and know that losing weight and keeping it off comes from healthy lifestyle changes. It doesn't happen overnight but the changes can be huge if we take them one step at a time. Just pick one thing to change and you will be on your way to a healthier, happier life.
(0)

Omg leedee that's awesome! thanks for sharing. I will have to get some for my dad :)
(0)

Hello Everyone,

I was listening to a talk show a few days ago and when the topic of preservatives came up the professional stated that we Americans eat our body weight in artificial additives and preservatives every year! I was shocked to say the least and wanted to share that with you here. Sorry I didn't write down the name and link to the study she was quoting from. It just made me realize how important it is that we eat foods from nature like fresh fruits and veggies.
(0)

Here's something I just read about Self-imposed Stress and Self Esteem..

Many of my clients also implied that they didn’t think they deserved to take good care of themselves until they lost weight. This is convoluted thinking, I’d explain to them. First, you take good care of yourself, then your self-esteem goes up. When your self-esteem is raised, your appetite and weight go down. You must take good care of yourself even if you believe that you don’t deserve it. “Act” as if you have high self-esteem. Pretend you’re someone you admire, such as a famous movie star. Make believe that you’re a thin person. Then behave in the way that you envision that person acting. Your self-esteem will catch up to your self-loving behavior. Deep inside, your inner child will be happy that you’re taking good care of her. She’ll think, Gee I must be a special little girl to deserve such good treatment. And when the little girl inside of you feels good about herself, it’s reflected in the way that you feel about yourself. Consider this: You like to be around people who treat you well, don’t you? People who say nice things to you and who consider your needs and feelings? And, conversely, wouldn’t you rather avoid people who say mean things to you and who are selfish? Well, you can have the same relationship priorities with your own self. If you’re good to yourself, you’ll be happier and more comfortable. If you neglect yourself, you’ll feel unloved and lonely. The point to remember is: First, be good to yourself. Then you’ll lose weight.
(1)

Hi ladies. I'm trying to read this thread...great one! But there is a lot here for me to catch up on. So, I'll take my time and comment when I can.
I absolutely love to cook and I try to make sure to reduce sodium, keep fats down, etc. It's amazing how much difference "layering" flavors, using fresh produce and herbs, can make in the final product. I've found some great "healthy" products which we've learned to appreciate.
Now, I'm about 20 lbs heavier than I'd like and I'm working on it. Exercise has just become a part of my routine. Maybe not as often as I should, but I'm getting better.
When it's easier for me to read (soon, I hope) I'll be able to contribute more.
Thanks for this! Carolyn
(1)

Lilli, Great post on Acid Reflux! XXXOOO Cricket
(0)

1 2 3 4 5
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Related
Questions