Follow

Last night I got home from a 3 day stretch at the hospital, where we are getting very busy again. Mom was fine when I got home, all good. Today I had off (only day due to OT again) and mom had a dentist apt. So at 10 I took a sleep aide and went to bed. Hardly ever take them, but I was exhausted and I have terrible sleep habits. At 1:30 we wake up to Mom calling for me. She is in the bathroom, horribly short of breath and all sweaty. I run for an inhaler and the pulse Ox, her sat is 85, her breathing so bad I could barely get any inhaler into her (Mine not hers but I'm a RT so its what I grab) My dang home stethoscope craps out. Called 911, they got here in 10 minutes.. her breathing a bit better but sat still 85, so off to the local hospital she goes. Only one of can go in,, so after I find her, I send hubs home. At first they thought is was a COPD exacerbation with possible UTI and they get chest Xray. I can see its wet with pleural effusions. High flow O2 started. Luckily over the next hour her Covid test comes back negitive, her color is better as is her breathing. IV antibiotics and diuretics. Foley cath. And she gets a room. So I have to call hubs to come back and get me. And I'm loopy from the sleeping pill!
So after about 3 hours of sleep I talk to her RN,,seems the ED was supposed to give me a "code " and he can't talk to me without it. I explain I have no code..mom is loopy on a good day.. here we go. And she is deaf and mostly blind! God bless him, he went to her room, wrote the code in huge numbers and had her read it to me! All good now! So at about noon I went in, still sleep deprived. She is looking a bit better, breathing alot better. Now they think it is mainly CHF, and while she will be there a few days I feel better. I'll go back in tomorrow, talk to her Dr (her nurse was awesome giving me information when I arrived) and if she is still on the mend DD will sit with her Wed so I can go back to work. I am so torn between her and my seriously short staffed hospital (I am not in a COVID unit at this time, antibody tests are negitive) I guess I really feel guilty about work since last week I had off for FIL death. My boss is great, so no problems there.. but just sitting in her 80 degree room and doing nothing if she recovering will do me in too. I hope this makes sense, I am so tired I literally can't think!

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
So glad she’s home and doing better. Have a great Thanksgiving!
(1)

That's great news, Pam . Hope things settle down for you for a while now.
(1)

That is very good news!
(1)

Pam, thanks for sharing the good news.  I hope this week is less stressful for all your family and that you can enjoy a peaceful holiday.
(1)

Praise The Lord!

May she continue to improve.

Have a blessed Thanksgiving!
(1)

Wonderful! Glad she’s back home. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving day!
(2)

She's home!! after being up all night with a sick puppy, hubs and I decided to run to Sams and get some things. Told her if she was getting discharged to call my cell ( number on board, rn can help). No call while we are in town. So we get home to 2 messages on the home machine. Back in the car, get her home. They did not provide tonights dose of her new meds, and our pharmacy is not open until tomorrow morning. The local hospital pharmacy can't send drugs home with her ( although they did pack up the eye drops they provided), so tonight she will be without them and hubs will get them when the pharmacy opens tomorrow. ( my hospital has an outpatient pharmacy so you can get your drugs before you leave) He will give them to her, and I redid all her weekly boxes. Her memory is a bit off, so we will keep an eye on that. Tues when I am off I will be calling her Drs and making apts.. this should be fun on a holiday week! Thank you all for your prayers
(6)

Glad she is feeling better. What a rollercoaster ride!
(1)

Pam,

It seems like they could take a couple of minutes to call you for an update.

I bet your pooch does miss your mom. My dog adored my mother. They were good friends.

I hope your mom is able to return home soon.

Hugs!
(1)

today she is down to 2 liters of O2, still on IV diuretics but according to her rn ( they have all been great) she may be off O2 tonight! Then to get her to diuretic pills again. Still can;t see her of course, but I call in the morning and DD is calling in the afternoon. She may be able to come home this weekend. At least should be by the holiday. My biggest peeve right now is that her cardiologist keeps telling her will call me, every day, and not one call!I called the office today, 20 minute wait.. and they have no record of her even being in the hospital,, WTH ! They added a new CHF med, so I know they are seeing her. I know things are a mess with COVID but really? Thank goodness her nurses are great and ready to read me her chart. Back to work again tomorrow ( we "tossed" out all the visitors last night, I really feel for them) and I will see if I get a call then!
My poor puppers is acting depressed, she really misses mom, she is used to being with her all day watching TV! And luckily I work in neurology, and not a COVID unit at this time. We were the next to last to convert in the spring, hoping we don;t get that far this year.
(4)

Pam, I’m just catching up, sorry you and mom are dealing with this! I’ve also done the hospital run after taking something to sleep, so fun trying to stand there and absorb info while in a haze! Anyway, hoping this too shall pass quickly and you’ll have mom home and settled soon
(1)

Don't know how I missed it but I'm just seeing this now. It sounds as though everything is under control and your mom is in good hands, and I'm sure it doesn't hurt that they know she has family in healthcare who know what they are talking about. Best wishes for a speedy return to "normal".
(1)

Wow, GardenArtist. I am glad is isn't you, but now wondering who it is. Someone has a bro with bad CHF, on hospice I do believe.
(1)

(((((Pam))))) glad you and mum and feeling better. She is in good hands. It would be nice if Dd can be with her some. Again,take care of yourself.
(1)

Sounds like you're in a "when it rains, it pours" situation.   As I read your post I segued back a few years when I went through something similar.   I wish I could make things better, but I know your knowledge will help resolve the situation positively.   And since you're a medical professional, the staff will be more frank with you than they would with someone who's not.

Hang in there, get your rest, and remember that your mother and your hospital need you, as does your husband, and so do YOU!    It's better that you stay with Mom and help her recover than work when you're physically and mentally stressed out.

But congratulate yourself on knowing how to D/X and handle the situation.  You may have saved your mother's life!

Alva, I think you might be thinking of someone else in terms of a brother with problems?
(4)

Pam, thank you so much for updating us. Worried about GardenArtist and her brother, as well. So many of us going through stuff right now.
(1)

I slept like a log last night. Went in to see her today, took her a crossword puzzle book( large print), and she is breathing much better and her O2 has been reduced some, But she will be there awhile. I did help her eat ( she has very low vision and they don;t show her where her food is, etc.) Talked to her Dr, will call her cardiologist tomorrow from work. My DD was planning to spend tomorrow with her, and as I was leaving she sent me a screen shot of Hogans "no hospital visitors " new mandate,, around I turned and back to her room I went to tell her. She is OK with it as of now,, we can call her, and talk to her nurse. I asked the charge nurse before I left about this,, they have no official work from their system, so they said for DD to call before she comes,, we may try the disability card as she is mostly blind.. who knows? She wants me to go back to work, and if I can't visit I may as well.. hopkins is now back to code red and they are staffing up.
(4)

Pam,

So sorry that your mom isn’t doing well.

Please try to get some rest.

Keep us posted about your mom.
(1)

Pamzi,
Your own rest to build up your strength is a first priority. You will be able to work later, when they might need you more. Take a real sick day for yourself maybe.
Sorry this is happening now.
All the best to you and Mom.
(1)

((((((((((hugs)))))))) pamz -look after yourself first. Mum is being taken care of. Prayers going in your direction. You have been in a whirlwind for a while. Time to catch your balance
(4)

Pamzi (((((hugs))))))) and try to sleep.
(3)

Oh no, Pam. How awful you have to deal with this now, on top of everything else. I am so sorry. I hope you'll keep us updated.
(2)

I’m so sorry Pam!!! COPD really is a roller coaster ride, sometimes it’s an exacerbation and sometimes it’s not! My mom had a similar episode early in the year. But sounds like they are sure your moms episode is the CHF? I hate that you feel torn between you and your mom :(
Just do what you gotta do to find balance and try not to feel guilty about it!!
(2)

Oh Pamzi, I am sorry that you are dealing with this so soon after losing your FIL.

I pray that your mom recovers quickly and that you get some rest.

Thank you for being on the front line.
(3)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter