Follow

What styles do you like for women over 60? I say to each his own. I wanted to see if my husband was paying attention one evening and I told him that I was going to put royal blue streaks in my hair. Hahaha 😂

At first he made a face, then said, “Go ahead if you want to.” I know he wouldn’t like it. My kids have done the color streaks.

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
I think it looks good if it's done right. I've only ever seen the not so good ones. ha. Maybe not ha. But would you consider doing a few extentions, strategically placed and then if you like those you could go for the wash out kind.
My hair is white/silver gray and I'm letting it grow out. Some days I just can't stand it and some days I just want to cut it into a modern style. Right now sitting on my hands to keep from going to have it cut very short.
I am one for cutting it when I go through big changes. I'm going to google some silver hair with blue streaks-it doesn't hurt to picture how it might look. No pressure. :)
(0)

Elaine,

My oldest daughter did the blue before, my youngest did the pink. I only let them do it in the summer. Wasn’t allowed in school. They did the temporary stuff.

I let them do the spray colors at our church fair. The fair is a big fund raiser. I always work a booth but not the hair color booth! I work the silent auction now. I used to do the game booths for the little kids.

Wonder what kind of color did your stylist use? You can get it from a beauty supply place a use a cap to pull the strands through.
(0)

needhelpwithmom, I don’t mind streaks of pink or purple or any color in older adults. I think it looks great!! My hairdresser who is 45 won’t do it. She said she did it a few times and it took a long time, very expensive, and her clients would complain that the streaks didn’t last! Never again she said.
(1)

Katie,

Wow! That’s really expensive. Yeah, some of my friends have damaged their hair too. It happens.

I think there are certain conditioning treatments in salons now that help repair the damage.

Look at the cost of skin creams. Some moisturizers are crazy expensive too. I just use a very old brand, Oil of Olay. I am not sure why but I don’t have any wrinkles. I guess good genes, grandma had beautiful skin, mom has no wrinkles in her 90’s. Daddy had no wrinkles.
(0)

Glad,

Why not? I am happy with my silver hair but I have seen some blue streaks that I think are cool! It’s the same as any other fashion accessory. I would not commit to permanent color. They make it in a a beauty supply place that is semi permanent.

My grandma had snow white hair. Mom has the white. Daddy had the silver. I have silver.

Washes out in six weeks.
(0)

Why would you want to go blue or purple? Or green or orange for that matter. Now the younger women want to go gray or white, but is very difficult, if not impossible, to achieve. We have worked hard and lived long and have paid dearly for our gray and white hair!😊
(2)

Need help....oh yes. But the cost I am talking about is for the salon product at home. Olaplex 2 and 3 cost north of $150 plus tax and shipping. (This for a 1 ounce bottle)

salon wanted $350 per treatment (#2 every two weeks and #3 with every washing).

when I stopped using these with every wash...my hair started breaking and falling out. Up until then, my hair was great..silky, shinny, smooth, very manageable... but once I stopped treatments it was matted, tangled, couldn’t comb it....no cream rinse or other treatments worked at all. So, I just bit the bullet and let it go.
(0)

Need help....oh yes. But the cost I am talking about is for the salon product at home. Olaplex 2 and 3 cost north of $150 plus tax and shipping.

salon wanted $350 per treatment (#2 every two weeks and #3 with every washing).
(0)

Katie,

Yep, salons aren’t cheap!
(1)

Mymomisold,

Yeah, my kids did that spray. I think that would be hard to control the color. For me anyway. You know, to get the streaks. They have the chalk too. They make it in temporary dye.

I stopped coloring my hair a few years back. It’s the silver color like my dad’s was.
(0)

Elaine,

Grey hair on young girls has become a trend. I recently saw a girl that looked good with it.

I was that eclectic kid. When I wasn’t dressed in my Catholic school uniform I was dressed in my own personal style.

I used to make halter tops out of silk scarves. I would also rip up the inside of my jeans and sew in floral panels to make a long flowing skirt. I had very long hair. I was the little ‘flower child.’

Elaine, I wanted to know about how you felt about the colored streaks in older women.
(1)

I don’t mind the grey hair, silver hair or white hair on someone over 50. What I don’t get is the 20 or 30 year olds purposely dying their hair grey!!! I don’t get it. I have my hair colored blonde every 6 weeks to cover my grey hair and young girls are dying their hair grey. That I don’t get. I’m not talking about the streaks. These girls are dying their hair GREY!!! I think it makes the girls look older. But when you are over 50 I think it looks great because it is age appropriate. Just my opinion.
(0)

People in my family don't get lovely silver or snow white hair as they age, we tend to just fade to an ugly gunmetal grey. Although my mom's hair was actually turning a nice white at the end, maybe if she'd lived into her 100's?
(0)

You could try the temporary spray in colors available at any CVS, Target, etc. Then you would know if you like it and want something permanent. It washes out easily. I've been natural for years now and won't go back to coloring, but have done the temporary sprays with no after effects. Good luck! Hair is always a challenge. I'm trying to find a new style. I don't want the old lady short hair but my long hair makes me look like an old witch! Going shoulder length next week. I guess we're never satisfied!
(0)

Yes to your questions.

I decided I will just go silver/grey. But, here is the issue...

most natural hair color has some base in reds. Red is a massive problem to get rid of...even in grey hair, there isn’t a solid natural streak of silver..always some brunette (red base) mixed in. What that means is that it will always keep Turing yellow.

fighting the yellow is a constant process. Purple shampoo often causes purple hair or blue...then you have to wash that out a try again. Permanent dye contains bleach which will totally wreck your hair or cause you to have to use expensive products (olaplex) to keep it from breaking or falling out. And you have to do it again every month. Or semipermanent... but have to redo it is every month.

no easy answer to actually achieve it....and expensive to do and maintain if you do.

i speak from actual experience. I am letting my hair grow out, meanwhile I have very massive damage because I couldn’t keep up the $200 treatments every month.
(2)

Not me, I prefer au natural. My dishwater blonde now has gray/white highlights that look blonde for now.
(3)

Who has color streaks in their hair? Do you like it?
(0)

Why does she refuse? I love white hair too.

I saw a woman with the blue streaks recently who looked fabulous! Have seen the purple too.
(0)

I’d LOVE to do this but my stylist absolutely refuses.

Since she’s the best I’ve ever found, I don’t fight her opinion, but I wish I loved my short thinning very fine snow white hair as much as she does!
(1)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter