Follow

My husband just turned 70 and we recently celebrated 40 years of marriage. My 3 children decided to come to us to surprise him. They live in Texas, Utah and California. The Utah daughter was not here for Christmas this year but the other 2 were with family and girlfriend. They left less than a week ago. I felt it was costly for them but I guess the nature of the event and the fact my husband is facing prostate surgery at the end of this month made them feel it was something they really wanted to do. He was very surprised and deeply touched. They will go back Sunday and Tuesday having arrived on Friday to take us to dinner. It was the first time in a long time we have been together alone. I love their families but being together this way brought back many happy memories that were shared which can be hard to do with distractions of grandchildren etc. We had a difficult year with ongoing medical issues for both of us as well as the strain of selling the house we had bought in 1988 where they all grew up. It was a wonderful night which has left me sleepless I guess from the strain of keeping this secret. I don't recall seeing my husband so moved in a special way and I hope it gives him solace as he faces a fairly serious surgery and the hope that cancer is contained in the prostate which will be removed.

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
Thank you everyone. Today they arranged a boat trip around Charleston Harbor. It was alot of fun. I am beyond exhausted but in a positive way. Tonight they plan to cook dinner if they can agree on what.
(2)

This was wonderful and sweet, I too battled cancer last year. My kids held a similar mtg, but all the kids couldn't come. It was nice to know I had their support---but as a cautionary tale--they will drop out of sight as time goes on. Nothing bad meant at all, but they have busy lives, I'm sure, and probably a poor recollection of what is actually going to transpire. My son called his dad once day, about halfway through my chemo and he never asked about me, until his dad commented that I was extremely sick on the chemo. Son was so surprised, he thought the chemo was a one and done thing. Had no idea it would take 6 months and drag me into the midst of being sicker than I thought possible. Didn't make him care or bother to call me--he is very busy and I am not in the forefront of his mind and I am just an annoying MIL to his wife, so I had to let go of the deep hurt and just focus on me.

It was a lonely and incredibly depressing battle. I am by no means well and I won't be for months. I have to forgive my otherwise loving kids their lack of understanding.

I wish your hubby the best. Prostate cancer has a high cure rate and I pray for him that he falls in that category. And that your kids stay on board with support.
(2)

It is so nice to hear a good news story here.

I wish him the best possible outcome of his surgery. Uncle P had surgery to remove his prostrate and is very healthy 26 years later. He has watched all of his kids marry and enjoys his grandchildren. With luck he will have great grandchildren before he leaves this world.
(0)

Thank you for sharing this. We get so caught up in the butt-end of family drama. It’s refreshing to read a story of love and respect..... without “the other shoe dropping.” Be very proud of the way you & hubby raised your children. You were careful to not share - or create! - neuroses. This is the enduring reward. :-)
(0)

What great adults you and your husband raised. Well done!
(1)

I happy for you both. 😀🤗
(2)

What a wonderful gift for your chikdren to give their dad and you!

Happy birthday, Mr. Riverdale!!
(3)

((( How lovely! )))

They must have been plotting this among themselves for some time, weren't they? What a lovely thing for them to do for you both, and may it get this new year off to a really positive start.
(3)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter