Does anyone have experience with the Verteran's Administration and spouse survival benefits.


My mom has an opportunity to move to a facility that would provide the safety and security she needs at 91 years of age. Because of her limited income & health issues, it was suggested we tap the VA and apply for the Aid and Attendance benefit available to her as a surviving spouse of a WW II veteran. It's proving to be a difficult navigation and I wondered if anyone can provide their experiences, information. Mom lives in New York city and would (we hope) be moving to Dutchess county New York. Would appreciate any help or suggestions.

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.


I worked as a Vet Rep in California. You might look on the Veterans Admistration web site to get the form you need. The up side is that it will give your mom more money for her needs, the down side is that it doesn't happen fast. Sometime it can take months to get it but it does usually go back to the date of application. Usually you can also get the innformation or help with the application through the local veterans office in the county in which she lives, the local VA hospital or even better contact the local America Legion group they sometimes have a person that can guide you along the way. Good Luck to you! My own mother received it for years as my father was in WW1. Be sure to ask about other benefits that may be available to her such as burial etc.

I have just completed the application for Aid and Attendance benefit. You have to contact the Veterans Financial, phone number 800-835-1541. They e-mailed me a form. Before you submit it to the VA a consultant will review for accuracy. They may advise you of a local phone number to contact.