Follow

She's been slowly tugging at it for months. She hates not being able to have solid food, and her diminished cognitive place isn't make it easier to accept. I wasn't sure I was really seeing it, but I suspected she might be slyly tugging at it every now and then when we were looking the other way. She's so sneaky! Now she off to the hospital for a surgery.
Poor old woman. Can't say I blame her.
Have a good day:)

"That's all it really takes, pressure and time. That and a big d*** poster." Lol, for my fellow Shawshank Redemption fans

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
My mother pulled her feeding tube out a couple of times. It was quickly replaced in an outpatient setting, thankfully not a big deal. As for the feeding tubes are evil brigade, there are endless variations on why they are placed. My mother’s was done after a stroke when we were given excellent chances of a recovery that never came. And there was no point at which we’d have decided to starve her, if such was even under our control, as she was fully cognizant. Her pulling it out was an involuntary thing, her hand inadvertently being caught under it
(2)

What is the care aim of the feeding tube? To prolong life or keep her comfortable?
(0)

Maybe she is tired of having the feeding tube any longer. With her cognitive impairments she may not be able to state her wishes clearly in words....but maybe her behavior is trying to tell you something. 
Have worked with patients who agreed to feeding tubes (or families who agreed to them for a parent) and then had regrets. 
I'd be curious to see what happens with the new feeding tube....does she try to pull it out, too? Is more sedation or restraint needed to keep the tube in place?
Have you and your family discussed with her care team the pros and cons of feeding tubes for someone of an older age? As bodies lose their need for calories, a person often eats less/drinks less/turns their head away if someone tries to feed them. She doesn't have those ways to say no with a feeding tube. 
Not a Shawshank fan so pardon me if missing the reference led to to misinterpret your message.
(0)

Isthisrealyreal, thank you! I'll share the warm words with her. (((hugs)))
(1)

lealonnie1: she's on a feeding tube because that IS what she wanted at the time. She has had a "corkscrew" esophagus for years, and it completely stopped functioning one day. Lordy, woman! Are you suggesting that we stop feeding her and let her die because of that? I don't think we even ever had a choice. I don't believe a doctor would have agreed to that. Wow. You're sounding like you veed a nacation and now! I thought this was a support group.

Anyways, she didn't need surgery. Turns out this happens - a lot - and ER fixed her up in about 20 minutes.

She's freaking already watching Dr. Phil again, but you would have scattered her to the wind. Stop being so judgemental, especially about all of the things that you have no empirical or factual insight or you will carry that same load. We don't know each other. Ya know, strangers said the same kind of insensitive, insecure crap during my breast cancer chemo treatments, when my hair fell out. Fifteen, full, wonderful years ago, someone actually said something about " they'd never put that poison into their body" while they were stuffing a double beef & cheese burrito in their face. Swear that really did happen. Good grief, too easy.

PS, She can still have ice cream, etc., but how would you've have ever known that?? We don't know each other.
(2)

Why is she on a feeding tube to begin with if she hates not being able to eat solid food?? The last thing I'd ever want to do is to extend my mother's life; she's suffering from advanced dementia and the only enjoyment left in her life is eating food, especially ice cream.
(1)

My grandmother pulled everything out she she was hooked up, they had to restrain her. I cannot imagine what they would do now.

I hope your MIL does good with the surgery and makes a speedy recovery.
(1)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter