Follow

According to new research out of Geo Washington University nearly 10% of UTIs in the USA, as any as 640,0000 a year, likely come from eating meat contaminated with E. Coli. Chicken, turkey and pork the main culprits with the particular strain living in the gut "a long time" before migration to urinary tract.
They say the finding underscores requirements for safe handling, hand washing and cooking meats thoroughly.
Talk about bizarre.

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
Interesting. I have spent the last few months dealing with a recurring UTI. After seeing my GP, GYNO, and a urologist it have been diagnosed with what is called "vaginal atrophy." Basically a decrease in muscle tone and natural flora.
(0)

We already know that e coli is the bacterium causing 90% of UTIs Beatty, this study is just an investigation of where the e coli in the bladder may originate from.
(0)

Interesting.
Felt like I was getting a UTI starting yesterday.. that bloated feeling. Today craving vegetarian minestrone soup. Interesting.
(1)

Interesting, Alva

I have never had a UTI. I don’t eat meat on a daily basis. I am like you though, I love a good burger and steak. My steak has to be rare, or I feel that it isn’t worth eating.

There are so many different foods that we are able to get protein from. We really don’t have to eat meat daily, certainly not at every meal. A lot of people eat too much meat and not nearly enough plant based foods.
(1)

Kind of makes sense. I think the problem may stem from eating out. Because I worked for the VNA I had to take a Blood Bourne Pathogens class every year. The main problem in food preparation is cross contamination. When a person has been touching chicken, they touch nothing else until they change gloves. Same with preparing beef, you take the gloves off if u plan on touching other foods. But, I have seen where this is not done.
(0)

Well, you note I did post it with a question mark. Comes out of a tiny magazine I get weekly called "This Week" which publishes all sort of "shorts" from all sorts of places. I have read some of the most interesting things there. I do little "news" anymore. But do do This Week.

I don't argue much of anything anymore; too tired and into peace. Too certain there's no gain in it. And we will surely each remain free to believe, not believe, or question; lord knows Covid proved THAT in case we missed it earlier on. hee hee.

I am not going to be doing the research on any of it at this point, for sure. I grew up on a farm, so as to inspections I suspect a bit of a joke. Kind of like bank inspectors. Same for hospital inspections for all that. That comes down who puts on the prettiest show for JCAHO: I partook of THEM.
We can call it "interesting food for thought. Or not." Wouldn't put me off my cannibal sandwich.

Found the below at the top of the google list; didn't search much farther. Once knew about all the inspections snafus in our own Salinas Valley (veggies) the fields and field contamination. That was years ago and you can best no vestige of it remains in my shrinking brain. Big controversy then about "so do we kill every single animal out there?"
Sorry I can't seem to "blue this".

How is E coli spread in poultry houses?

In poultry houses, E. coli, commonly referred to as colibacillosis, is spread through fecal contamination. Initial exposure may occur in the hatchery from infected or contaminated eggs, but infections are commonly triggered by immunosuppressive diseases such an Infectious Bursal Disease, Marek’s Disease, or Chicken Anemia.
E. coli in Poultry: What is it? - VAL-CO.

We can file all this under Donnie Rumsfeld file of "Whooooooooo Knowwwwwwwwws".
(1)

Source for that Alva? My information says it is only in ruminants. And I can't see a cattle feedlot contaminating a pig or poultry farm, today these operations are mostly all exclusive.

OK, more reading tells me that both swine and poultry can be infected, but for those animals it's considered a fatal disease that needs treatment. That's why big farms are so focused on bio security and don't welcome outsiders.

As for the germs travelling to the bladder via the omentum - I'd like to see the research on that too, IMO it way more likely to have travelled due to sketchy rectal hygiene .
(0)

@Lealonnie:
My Dad and I used to eat what he called "Cannibal sandwiches". I don't know that they would be called that today, as it is sounding somehow not "PC", isn't it. In any case this was lean ground beef which my mom used to put through this metal contraption, a grinder that attached to our table. Then my dad would eat this on rye bread with lots and lots of salt and pepper.
I eat less and less meat, but my gut actually loves meat over all things. I just am losing my taste for it--EXCEPT bloody steaks and burgers of any kind. I am afraid there are things I am unwilling to give up!
(0)

@cwillie,

E coli is common in MANY animals guts. That's the problem. In almost ALL farm animals, in fact. E coli is the most common contaminant in urinary tract infections (not that there can't be others).

The fur and feathers of all the animals brought in for slaughter, animals that have been tooth to nail with one another and knee deep in feces, is absolutely infested with the stuff. Our fields are full of it from visiting wildlife.

When I was in nursing school my micro class was a scary thing when we learned what it took to clean contaminants from chicken off of a counter. Not only pretty much industrial strength bleaches but a lot of rubbing. Which is why in handwashing the rubbing is what actually kills a lot of the germs.

It is known, because of animals in the fields, that even our lettuce is often contaminated with e coli which is why many micro men and women won't buy lettuce already picked and made into salads in the stores. They consider them accidents waiting to happen to our bodies.

What is more shocking here is that the e coli may get out of our guts, into the omentum and then into the bladder. It is crossing a whole lot of barriers thereby. They are beginning to know that is happening. New science indeed.

I am generally with you on "studies" as they will show this this week and the opposite next week. Just sayin...........hee hee...........cook that chicken well.
(0)

Guess that's why I don't get them. Haven't ate meat in a couple years.
(1)

Just coming back to add that e coli is a bacteria that lives in the guts of healthy ruminants (cattle, sheep, goats, deer, elk), the only way for poultry of pork to carry it would be through cross contamination. I question the veracity of this study.
(0)

You don't need to worry about eating your steak or roast beef rare Lealonnie, any contamination is on the outside of the piece of meat where the heat hits it. It's improperly cooked ground beef that will be the main culprit (some people even eat their hamburgers rare😱), plus cross contamination from improper food handling.

OK I just checked - the foods most likely to be contaminated are ground beef, fresh produce (usually from contaminated water), unpasteurized milk (not legal to sell where I live) and water (from contaminated private wells - test your water often!)
(0)

I'm glad we had prime rib tonight!😂🤣 And it's a crime punishable by death to cook it more than medium rare.

I'll take my chances and dh agrees. So does Honey who's ouside on the deck gnawing the bone right now.

Bizarre indeed.
(2)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter