Follow

Hi e1-
Asking for as many replies as possible please on this :
My mother does not have Alzheimer’s or dementia, she has selective for the most part. My mother is not active although she does have the physical abilities of mobility with her walker if she wanted to be active and independent in some things. Over the years I have learned to know the difference when my mother is truly having a brain fog or if she’s conveniently milking it like a farmer at 6 am. I have come up with a theory about mobility decline and memory loss and how they could relate to Alzheimer’s and dementia. My mother is only 72 yet she has acted like a 109 year old bed ridden invalid for over 15 years. She is very much alert in general but I’m noticing more frequent episodes of her not remembering basic routine things like functions on the remote which she is The guru regarding its operations because Her Chair and The TV are her world and all she does. She has become so focused on Judge Judy and the news that she totally has lost interest in anything else except food. Is complacency or use it or lose it a factor in her forgetting how to use the remote? Basic simple things are what she truly has lost the ability to do; but she has no problems with being able to nit pick me, know status of finances and the things she wants. The lady across the street is mom’s age and she is still driving shopping maintaining her home active with her church etc; mom also has a friend who is 84 living independent and still hiking the Grand Canyon! I understand everyone is different, but those two ladies are up and at ‘em and living life and no signs of brain fog; mom exists in Her Chair with nothing beneficial or stimulating to her mind entertaining, no, passing time and she soon will not be able to grab her own behind with either hand. So, does immobility and lack of stimulation contribute to the symptoms of Alzheimer’s and dementia as well as genetics do? Or even more than genetics? Socializing and fellowship in person with people seem to keep the brain in better condition. My mother chooses to isolate herself from life; I wonder what the statistics are for folks who get isolated unwillingly and labeled with Alzheimer’s or dementia? Unfortunately, a lot of times, grandma and grandpa only hear from family on birthdays and Christmas; they move to slow or are “too old and wouldn’t want to do this or that anyway” for the grand kids to take them out and about. Also, youngsters lack life experience to “get it” regarding older people that’s just life. I bet grandma and grandpa light up on birthdays and Christmas even when they seem like they’re losing it the rest of the time... thanks for reading and replies.
susan xoxoxo

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
Hello Phar, I was remembering a serious surgery that my own mother had in 2003, after which she also was forever changed. (Mother never spoke 2 me about anything, so I can't say how she really felt). But she did isolate, & watch t.v. a lot afterwards.
Before her health emergency, she used 2say: "I can't stand old people"....yet she was old herself. Anyway, my point is that maybe our mother's became ashamed of their new frailty, & wanted to withdraw. My mother always feared what people wud say about her...(prob cuz she trashed others constantly). Sorry to be long winded... Hope this helps u:)
(1)

Hi Alva- believe me I have tried to get her out of Her Chair. I built a small succulent garden that was raised up so she could access it either sitting or standing- she hasn’t even gone outside to see it. She can still move mountains if she wants to- not hike the Grand Canyon but she still has a lot of physical strength and mobility when she wants to. You make a good point about her being on a different level than her friends and unfortunately she has no desire to go anywhere to meet new ones. Thank you so much for your feedback!
(0)

Phar, she likely doesn't really fit in with her old friends any more and that would be acutely painful if you think about it. How about her own little space, and plant cart or something for a small cactus garden. Even out of the chair to look and care will help her keep the hinges oiled a bit.
(0)

Mom used to be very active. She was president of a cactus and succulent society for years, head of the Sunday brunch club at church, she loved going out to eat anytime, her friends would stop by routinely and she was always going to dances or meetings at local singles groups. So that is why I am so perplexed that she is so inactive. She was only 58 when the “change of life event” happened- a hospital visit is responsible for the catastrophe that happened to her- she just sorta gave up on life after that. She doesn’t think so but anyone who knows her could confirm that she did. Mom miraculously defeated death literally and she has not only one hell of an inspirational testimony but physical ability to be embracing life instead of rotting away in a chair. Her friends don’t come by or call anymore and I think it’s most likely due to them not wanting to listen to mom complain about everything or not wanting to do anything but sit in that chair. It’s heartbreaking whatever the cause is for her giving up on a life she was miraculously spared.
(0)

No proof on this, no. And I would say overall that mobility itself matters almost nothing at all. Think of the very brilliant Stephen Hawking, confined for decades to no movement in his wheelchair, yet a mind active, curious and engaged. There are in fact many many examples of this, including folks with locked-in-syndrome who can move absolutely nothing but an eyelid, and who have learned to communicate, and even written books.
I think that the "engaged mind" is so helpful, and this means whatever helps the person. I think the mind may seem unengaged because an elder has learned that what interests THEM and engages their minds, doesn't interest the rest of the world. If it is news and Judy Judy then I am good with that. Throw in a True Crime Podcast for me. I think the mind can thrive and grow on new things, so I attempt puzzle books all the time. I think it needs rest so it the the zen of gardening or of sewing. From picking fabric to stroking it as I cut the pattern, it heals my mind. I remember the "Nuns Study" showed that those who tried to do new things did seem to fare better.
We are all different. Other PEOPLE being about are only a trial for me in all truth; I am not a "socializer" and I am made anxious by people. So there would be no answer in throwing me in with a bunch of other elders for the Musciale. So there you are.
I think we cannot know. At a certain point what you want to provide for your elder is PEACE and JOY and by that I mean THEIR idea of it, not our own idea of it. What you might want to do is ASK them what they might like to do. When I did that with my Aunt she told me she just loved to sit by her window, watch the birds, and think about her life. Good on her, then, I say.
We can't fix everything, and we surely cannot fix a mind descending into age and Alzheimers.I suspect it's the genes. It could also have to working with solvents and such all your life in a cleaner establishment. Who really knows.
I am certain we will be bombed with a "theory a week" on this one. Fascinating question and thank you for posting it. And every one of us has our own anecdotal "proof" of what keeps us going (sewing? Garden? True Crime? Right!) Can't wait to read other answers.
(4)

I don’t know what your mom’s personality was in the past. You describe how she is now but I am wondering if she has always been like she is now, an introvert. If so, it’s just not in her nature to be outgoing. Does she seem unhappy to you? Do you want this for her or is it something that you want to see for you? Some people simply aren’t very sociable.

I am more outgoing. My husband isn’t. He’s perfectly content being a homebody. He does socialize with me to see friends but he wouldn’t do it on his own.
(1)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter