UTI infections can drive you crazy.

Follow

I had no idea what an UTI infection can do to the elderly. They can see things that aren't there, make them think crazy thoughts and even change the personality. My mom was doing all kinds of crazy things, getting dressed all by herself in the middle of the night, walking around the house at night and wanting to eat at 3:00 am. I finally noticed that her urine smelled terrible and took her to the doctor asking them to check for UTI. They did and sure enough had to put her on antibiotics. Now her actions are back to normal and I can finally get to sleep at night. PLEASE, if your parent is acting strange, more strange than usual, take them in to check for UTI. UTIs in the elderly are often mistaken as the early stages of dementia or Alzheimer's, according to NIH, because symptoms include:
Confusion, or delirium-like state
Agitation
Hallucinations
Other behavioral changes
Poor motor skills or dizziness
Falling
Sometimes, these are the only symptoms of a UTI that show up in the elderly—no pain, no fever, no other typical symptoms of a UTI.

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.

Comments

Show:
1 2 3
I notice this is an old thread. I'm replying for a bump as I think the information listed regarding symptoms is very good - and information anyone with an elderly person in their life should know. The first time I had to deal with this was with my dad. So unexpected cause just women get UTIs, right? At least that's what I had stupidly thought. Beyond that I was stunned by what a UTI can do to a normally rational thinking persons mind - at first I had a hard time wrapping my head around it. My father was in a rehab and he called me thinking he was in my old college town, spending the night at my sorority and that all the nurses were my sorority sisters. I think I broke the sound barrier driving to the rehab, thinking daddy had lost his mind - if I only knew then what I know now.
(0)

Can you call emergency to have her evaluated? Or can you ring her regular doctor and ask his guidance? Are you in Ireland or GB?
(0)

My mam is85 she thinks she goes to another house like hers.Has all the same furniture and everything.Could this be water infection she takes insulin for diabetic and HP tablets just started a couple of weeks ago.Its not all the time her memory is good.Please help me.
(1)

Thank you for your concern, 3kidsma. I spoke to the NH Dr and informed me that she looked in my mom tonite. Moms showed her pain level was lessened when she asked mom mom. Her spirits were better and she was eating some crackers.
The dr suggested to put my mom take remoras for anti depressant and appetite stimulant. Well she is on celexa. This remoras was given to her before and all it did for her is sleeeeep. I asked her to please wait on the the med. till I will speak to the dietician. Back in April te dr gave her that medicine and it was switched to just a " appetite enhancer. "that acts only for a appetite enhancer by itself . So
she did and that's my assignment for tomorrow.
Take care
Thx to all who listened.
Equinoc
(0)

Equinox, good luck, keep us posted. It's so hard when they are in pain and nothing can be found. Take care.
(0)

3kidsma, They did that for my mom also, but it took since this past monday thru Wednesday. Yesterday they were successful. Today's I received the results. It's said it was negative. I am looking in to see for an orthopedic to check in on my moms pain. I will not give up till I know for sure I have looked at all the necessities for this type of pain she is experiencing in her hip.
Equinox
(0)

She had just hemorraged in her bed, and had lots of blood in her urine. Drs. checked everywhere, said it's from her bladder. My Mom's Drs, go into her bladder and collect a sample when she can't pee on her own.
(1)

3kidsma.....what kind of hemorage can this cause? It's getting really hard for them to collect urine from my mom for testing now since she has a hard time urinating on the toilet. I'm pretty sure she has one now, and they've been trying to collect for over a week. Plus when they tell her they need to collect the urine she gets herself all worked up and then can't pee for sure. My fear is she will eventually end up with kidney damage.
(0)

My Mom is 85 and has dementia, chronic uti's. She hemoraged from one this week and is currently in the hospital. They just whack her poor little mind out. So sad.
(0)

My mom has had a chronic UTI for months and months. She has dementia so her mind isn't that great to begin with, and when she has the UTI she is crazy. She's living in an Assisted Living facility and is on Hospice Care. She's wheel chair bound, and doesn't drink enough water, and is incontinent. She'll have the urge to pee, but by the time the aids get to her it usually too late. They have tried putting her on the low dose antibiotics to try to prevent, but it hasn't helped at all. It's not a fun situation, and my thoughts are with you. I can't begin to tell you all thet we've gone through because of this.
(0)

1 2 3
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Related
Questions