Follow

I am trying to help my elderly neighbor navigate a plan for the rest of her life. She had planned to sell her current home and move near her daughter, but has just lost that daughter, her only child. She has no other relatives she could/wood tap to be future caregivers. She is in her mid-70’s, in good health mentally and physically, and it appears that her estate, including investments and after she sells this house, would be in the $1 million range.

She would like to find a progressive care community, preferably somewhere on the east coast, where she can live independently, then, as necessary, move into assisted-living and then nursing home care. I know of a couple of these communities in the northeast, but they seem very expensive and I’m not sure her estate will be enough. She would rather be in the southern half of the east coast. We have no idea how to search out such communities and properly vet them.

Thank you so much for any information you can share in terms of leads and experiences. (PLEASE do not include advice on helping her mental well-being as that is being addressed and I don’t want to get this conversation going off in that direction. Thank you.)

Westminster Canterbury Richmond in Richmond, Virginia
The Manor in Florence, SC
The Legacy in Hartsville, SC
Harbor Chase in Palm Beach Gardens, FL
(0)

I just sent you a PM.
(0)

Thank you Geaton777 and freqflyer for your comments. Yes, of course she will have to visit areas where there might be some viable communities, but first we need to identify those places. She will not stay where we live as it is not an area conducive to support of any types of individual needs (for any age). This is why we are looking for resources in states from mid-Atlantic to further south.
I am hoping that someone in this group, or perhaps other referred online groups that I’m not aware of, will contain people who are familiar with some of these specific communities and be able to give us some good input. And, yes, of course she will need to figure out what to do about all of her directives (POA, medical POA etc.) which had all named her daughter. She will be doing something soon for the short term, and then have documents drawn up within the state where she ends up settling.
Right now, we are really focusing on finding these types of progressive-care communities. Another person mentioned A Place for Mom, which I happen to be pretty familiar with and do plan to contact, but they do not have representation in all areas and, where they do, I feel they are more focused on assisted-living options.

I hope other people are reading this post and will have some input, including suggestions for information resources.
(0)

This is for your friend to research in her own community.
Often such organizations as A Place for Mom or others are able to provide assistance with finding care. They take information about wants, needs, conditions to be addressed, and etc. as well as assets information and link up the elder with care facilities in their area.

If YOU wish to help you can go with this friend to explore Independent and Assisted Living in your area simply by search engine. Begin exploration online as almost all have good websites even down to telling size and lay out of rooms. Then make visits.

It's nice of you to care and she is wise to start early, but remember there is a time to grieve and gather strength needed here as well. I am sorry for her loss.
(0)

Your friend is now a demographic called "Elder Orphan". She needs to figure out who is going to be her PoA or guardian. This person needs to be local to wherever she winds up living. It may need to be a law firm that also manages her trust (which she can pay an attorney to create). Then the trustees can manage her affairs. Or she could assign a pre-need guardian, and vet the organization that will provide the guardian. But it is critical that she get these legal ducks ina a row now that she's still got good cognitive and physical health. Once she declines it will become more difficult, if not impossible, for her to do this.
(2)

To find an independent-living community, scroll down to the bottom of this page, on the left side you will see "Independent Living Communities", click on that.

Another suggestion, for your friend to find an Elder Law Attorney who also specializes in finances. That attorney could guide her with what could work best for her investments to keep those investments growing. To find an Elder Law Attorney, scroll down to the bottom of this page, in the middle you will see "Elder Law Attorneys".
(3)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter