Follow

I spoke to my Father’s GP and explained that he had been suffering from constant anxiety and panic attacks. He said he would prescribe something mild to use up to 3/4 times a day only when my Father is having an attack!
The prescription arrived and it is for Lorazepam. The enclosed leaflet states that this med should not be used for patients suffering from severe breathing problems. I had explained to the doctor that the panic exacerbates his breathing problems so am surprised. The doc knows about his breathing problems as he gets prescriptions for inhalers.

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
Well, the idea of the Lorazepam would be to prevent the panic exacerbating the breathing problems, I expect.

But if you have concerns, contact the GP and double-check. I did this once, about gout:

Self: I couldn't help noticing on the patient information leaflet the warning that this drug is contraindicated in patients with impaired kidney function, and I wondered if you might be concerned about that?
Doctor (calmly): no, I'm concerned about your mother's being in pain from her gout.

I doubt if your GP hasn't thought this through, but I'm sure he'll be happy to set your mind at rest. Be polite, and do more listening than talking.
(2)

The doctor is trying to find a balance for your Dad.

If the panic attack exacerbates Dad's breathing issues, then providing medication to avoid or mitigate the panic attack will reduce the impact on Dad's breathing.
(1)

If it is low dose, it is probably safe to try. Especially since the doctor knows what his medical conditions are.
(1)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter