Follow

I posted a question asking if I was being underpaid. I care for a 98yr man 24/7. After reading all the replies I decided I had to have a sit down with his daughter who is POA. This resulted in them getting rid of me and selling the house claiming he had no more money. Now he is in a home which he did not want. I did some research and discovered he was receiving a monthly pension of a little over 3,000 and getting V.A assistance, that's how she paid me through the VA. Anyway thanks everybody.

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Pena, Sending you the best wishes for the future. I hope that the daughter had the decency to give you a farewell package. You deserved it. While it must be frightening to be without a job, you'll find a better one that will pay you what you deserve. Good luck and kindest wishes for your success!
(1)

Thanks for the update.

Sorry you lost your job. Maybe better working for an agency. You need those payroll deductions so you get credit for Social Security.
If you go out on ur own, know IRS does not consider u self-employed that the person hiring u is responsible for payroll deductions and sending the money deducted to the correct agencies. I would make sure you have a contract in place. The hours you will work and the pay u will receive. There are laws for livin-ins, find out thru ur local Labor Board what they are.
(1)

It's probably for the best. Now you can go and get another job which will pay you at least minimum wage.

Go to a homecare agency and let them give you a position. You now have experience. I'm sure the daughter will give you a decent refererence if you ask her.
(3)

Excellent news!!! You never would have left if the daughter hadn't done this.

Too bad for the old man but it is what it is. We all want things, but sometimes life and circumstances make it impossible to get what we want and we are lucky just to get what we need.

When someone needs 24/7 care the best place for them is a nursing home, unless they can afford to pay at least 2 - 4 people for that round the clock care.

He couldn't afford it and the daughter was taking advantage of you. Hopefully you will use this as a lesson learned for your next job and won't get taken advantage of again like this.
(4)

Congratulations. You got your life back. Take a little break to recharge, then move forward with the next chapter of your life.
(3)

I am certain this is likely the truth. He can no longer afford in home care. Good luck with your next job and be certain to start with the level of pay you are worthy of. There are many jobs now in elder care. Do know that most/many elders are in no position to afford in home care, which is why so many end up on Medicaid and in facility care, so you will likely have a lot of job switches in your career if you do home care.
(2)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter