Follow

I posted this on May 23rd (2022) Why would a doctor not prescribe a necessary medication for my mom once she enrolled in hospice? -

Thank you for all your responses. My mother passed a little over a week ago on June 1st from congestive heart failure. Hospice was a blessing. My mom was deaf so in a way I felt robbed of "saying" good bye, I love you but we still managed our good byes. On a Saturday (May 30th) I came over for a visit. Mom was in a stupor of sorts. Just sitting there barely awake, nodding off from time to time but doing nothing else. I got her in to bed later on. About an hour after that she wanted to get up and use her bedside commode but she needed assistance as she was to weak to do it on her own as she usually does. Afterward she wanted to sit on the side of her bed and do her hair and put some makeup on. Obsessions of hers for many years; clean house, do hair, put on makeup no matter how bad she felt. Rather than help her to the bathroom to do these things I brought her a hair brush and some lipstick. That satisfied her. Then she wanted to go into the living room but I told her "Mom, you really need to lay down." She was so weak! She said, "Can't I get up for just a little bit?" My heart melted and I got her in her wheelchair and brought her into the living room. As we were rolling through the house toward the living room she would point to various pictures, paintings, knick knacks etc and say something about how pretty they were or where she got them etc. It suddenly dawned on me that my mother was taking "one last look" around her house. Not long after she wanted to go to bed so I helped her back into bed. This would be the last time she ever was out of bed. She went to sleep. I figured I had better stay the night. Maybe she'd be more peppy the next day as this often happned. She'd be weak and tired one day and then better and more alert the next day. This went on and on for quite some time. With a little bit of dementia going on she often would get out of bed at all hours of the night and clean house (attempt it anyway) or cook or do whatever. But this night she stayed in bed all night. I checked on her and she was breathing. Later on when I checked on her I noticed her eyes open but she didn't seem to be able to speak. I noticed her holding herself between her legs so I knew she had to pee. She was aware of this urge. But she was only semi conscious at this point and there was no way I could get her on the commode. She had a depends on so I just left her in bed and would change her later which I did. Later on I laid my head on her chest and cried. She managed to get one arm around my neck. Then I heard her whisper my dads name. I called him in and said, "Hug her." He did and she got her arm around his neck. I knew this was our good bye. She lapsed into unconsciousness never to open her eyes again. About 24 hours later she passed away just as the hospice nurse was pulling in the driveway. Even though she was unconscious and deaf I still rubbed her arm, squeezed her hand, brushed her hair (which she loved having done). I know she knew I was there. She was there when I took my first breath, I was there when she took her last.

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Your closing sentence made the tears fall down my face. I'm sure you will always treasure these last memories you made with her. Thank you for writing this post. It touched me deeply. I love your heart.
(2)

Thank you for sharing this with us.

Your mom was blessed to have you by her side and love her so.

🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹
(0)

So beautiful.

Thank you for sharing.

The sum of a life is not in the final days, weeks or months. It's in all the little things. You, however, were blessed to have that sweet last moments with her.

God bless you & yours.
(0)

I am crying as I write this. I am so sorry for your loss. I loved the last sentence.
(0)

Your tribute to your mother, your loving devotion, and everything about your own version of an obituary is so emotional that it brought tears to my eyes.

You are a very special person, and I'm sure that your mother was and your father is still an equally special person, to have raised a daughter so intensely and sympathetically devoted to them as well.

I hope you and your father find peace and comfort in your family love and memories as you go forward.
(2)

I'm so sorry for your loss. She is at peace
(2)

This is such a beautiful tribute. I am so thankful that suffering is over for your Mom and that she had the most peaceful of deaths, the kindest, with those she loved there for her. I cannot imagine, when my time comes, being able to be this lucky in my leave taking. I can't thank you enough for your letting us know this update. I am so glad you let us know.
You put it perfectly in that she was there when you took your first breath and you were there when she took her last.
I wish you healing peace.
(4)

So beautifully described, so peaceful, so intentional.

Thank you for posting.

We are waiting too.
(3)

I am so sorry for your loss. So grateful that she passed peacefully.

May The Lord give you and your family grieving mercies, comfort and peace during this new season.
(3)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter