Follow

The newest update on my mother: GSFNH gave us a 2 hour notice prior to transferring her to the dump we pleaded not to send her. BTW, isn't it a bit irresponsible to transfer in the middle of a pandemic to a COVID ridden place? Once she was transferred, we finally received the results of her evaluation, which stated she had moderate dementia. Her main problem was aphasia from a head injury, which is why we had been asking GSFNH to continue speech therapy for months prior to all this. They told us her insurance wouldn't cover it anymore and told us to apply for Medicaid so they could continue (obviously a lie). At the new place X, our only consolation was that we could FaceTime, but we worried as 3 new COVID cases developed there. We learned that her roommate kept her up at night and we watched a rapid decline in her appearance, abilities, and she developed a persistent headache. Within 5 weeks she passed away on July 31. I want to thank you all for your help and concern and will be signing off this forum soon.

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
So sorry for your loss. It seems to be harder to cope when the death occurs under unusual circumstances. Please continue reading the postings and maybe, eventually, you will feel like contibuting once more to the forum.

I kow that when my Mom refused physical and occupational therapy, Medicare would not pay for speech therapy alone--it had to be coupled with either physical therapy or occupational therapy.

Take care of yourself. {{{HUGS}}}
(0)

CareBear, I'm so terribly sorry for your loss, and under such awful circumstances.
(1)

Oh, CareBear, please don't leave. Do you know how invaluable your experience is to others with questions? Please stay unless it triggers unhappiness for you. I am so very sorry for your loss.
It does sound as though something was happening. Makes me wonder if your Mom might have developed some brain incident no one knew about to make her decline so rapidly. The difficulty swallowing would fit right into that as would the headaches.
Of course the place will have answers or excuses for you, and of course there is no way to judge really if they are truth or not. They will say they were not equipped to care for her or some such.
I am sorry for your grief. And for the uncertainty which makes it more difficult. I hope you can soon celebrate the times that were good for her, and be at peace that she is now at peace.
(2)

So sorry for ur loss.
(2)

Ugh....I'm so very sorry to read about this debacle. FYI I have learned that facilities are compensated by the government far more for covid patients (particularly in NY). Do you think this is why she was transferred out? I'm so so sorry for your loss. May you eventually achieve peace in your heart.
(1)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter