Follow

My mother-in-law is somewhat racist, but that story is for a different day. For now, I'd like to share how I have extreme difficulty in dealing with my mother.

There's been a lot of resentment from my experiences growing up. My mother was controlling, manipulative, and always just extremely angry if you don't give in to her. One of my most unforgettable memories was of me being an honor student in first grade, but because I refused to curl my hair, my mother beat me up with her high heels. If you look at pictures of me on stage with my awards, my eyes were swollen from crying - all because I refused to curl my hair. The most important part of the day should have been my achievements, not the hair curlers.

Anyway, fast forward to after college, I ended up moving to the US all by myself. I think I was really destined to be removed from a toxic environment and be placed far from it. But phone calls I have with my mother are almost always unpleasant.

I think my dad and I have always known that my mother's emotions are uncontrollable. One small thing and she can turn into full on crazy; and it's become more unmanageable now that she is almost 70.

I invested in a property in my hometown and I've been sending my monthly dues payments for this property to my mother. Because of the recent pandemic, property management has now allowed online payments, so I opted to use this for convenience. I also did not want my parents to have to drive there due to safety concerns.

After my mother found out about this, she freaked out. She was screaming at me on the phone, almost to the point that she was hyperventilating. She told me I will be the cause of heart attack and ultimate death because:

1. She is worried that property management will not provide us with a receipt. In the past, they have always been slow providing any sort of acknowledgement to payments made and she is worried that they won't receive the online payment and we'll get penalized. But let's just say she's right - I'm still not going to sweat it over $70. I'll chalk it up to experience and find a different solution. I'm not going to scream at someone to death over $70.

2. Because I have opted to not send her the money anymore, I no longer trust her. In her own words, "she doesn't understand why I trust property management MORE than her when they have been slow and have been lying to us all these years." I do not know these people nor have I met any of them. I simply opted for online payments for convenience and safety.

3. I took an important thing away from her. Visiting the property and making these payments in person has been something that's kept her busy; she looks forward to it every month. Now she has nothing to look forward to anymore.

I would gladly continue the old method in which we've been making these payments, if it's something she enjoys, but why scream at me? Why can't that just be communicated properly like a normal person?

From my own research, I think she could be suffering from BPD, but I don't know for sure. She is somewhat open to seeing a medical professional, but it depends on her mood - which, often times, is not good. What is the best way to help her? I'm also an only child, so I have no one to share the emotional burden; it's taking a toll on me and my body.

It also seems like much of her negative thoughts occur in the middle of the night or the crack of dawn. Is there something that happens to the body/the brain that results in heightened (negative) emotions this time of the day?

As a note, one common thing I have found from my mother and mother-in-law, both of them never had to work. Once their children left home, they never got back into the workforce or even just go back out into the community, social settings.. just to see what's out there, keep busy, and have something to look forward to for their own personal self-fulfillment. They've spent years and years just watching TV/soaps, nagging on their husbands to come home from work.

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
zanyapplemaple -

Your mother has a huge mental problem.
However, it's HER problem.
It's NOT your responsibility to fix her problem.
You can be sympathetic and understanding of her problem.
But you shouldn't have to put up with it.
Nor are you required to fix it, because you can't.
(2)

My guess is that mother liked the regular outing, liked being ‘in charge’, and probably patronised your tenants.

She is not old, and you are not likely to change the spot she has got herself into. Perhaps a good idea is to drop or limit the contacts with her, and focus on keeping in touch with your father. He may be ‘to blame’ for putting up with it for years, but he could still do with some moral support.
(1)

70 is not old.

I am so sad from your story--while my mom didn't beat me, physically, she did use words, and I know they can leave scars all the same as a spanking.

I remember when I was dating my DH and I was all of 19 and she was pushing me SO HARD to 'hang on to this one! you're not that attractive and you may never have another chance'. Seriously. Luckily My DH has been able to overlook my hideousness to stay with me for 45 years. (BTW, I was actually proposed to about 5 times, so I wasn't worried--but that particular situation was so off and weird.) (Also I am freakin' adorable!)

Lucky for me my mom cannot and never could remember my phone number so I have been able to curtail my time with her.

You have the upper hand in this. Just hang up on her. I know we're trained to be polite, but sometimes, completely cutting someone out of your life can be very freeing and healthy.

I see mother WHEN I want, and for as long as I can stand it. Sometimes I go months, once I went nearly a year.
(1)

Do not ever care for this woman. Your life will be hell. You Mom has a mental problem that should have been addressed years ago. I have PDs among in-laws and they never beat their children because they didn't want to have their hair curled.

And cdnreader, being a people pleaser is not all that great. Been there and at 70 am not doing it anymore. Learned long ago it gets you nowhere. What happens is you get tired of trying to please everyone and you start saying NO. Its OK for others to tell you no but when you start doing it its a whole other reaction. You can't make people happy all the time. There are people you will never make happy. Its personality. You need to realize this. Its not up to you to make them happy. Happy comes from within. Your either a happy person or your not. Some people no matter what you do, its not enough.
(1)

Hi Zanyapple,

We have similar abusive childhoods with our NM's. It sounds like when you sent your mother the funds: she could then use that to 'show' others that she is better than them.
In regards to the evening or early morning attitude change - I have learned from this forum that is a type of dementia.

The isolation of not being in the world could also contribute to mental decline.
Covid has changed the way the world interacts and probably will; for some time; if not permanently.
Even though it is not your responsibility to care for her, I understand the emotional 'pull'.
I am caring [now - from more of a distance] for my NM.
You do, already, have the physical distance from her.
Since she is just 70 and experiencing these sundowner symptoms of dementia: it would be a good idea to have a doctor see her, in this regard.
There might be new meds or approaches to lessen the changes, being caught early.
My mother is 85, has a sundowner thing happening and is hell to deal with. Like you: I was beaten regularly for no reason and the world must still revolve around her.
The best way to help her is perhaps to get that early diagnosis; since you stated that she is open to it.
Once, she gets a definitive diagnosis there would be more resources open for you - I guess - depending upon where your mother lives.
This is just my suggestion. I am by no mans a professional and I too am on this website with many issues and concerns.

Best of luck and God Bless You.
-Bevel
(2)

Dear zanyapplemaple,

I'm sorry to hear about your mom's behavior. It's extremely hard as an only child to deal with a difficult parent. I struggle with this too.

It's hard to know exactly why your mother is behaving in this way. It could be a mental health issue, side effects of medications, diet, dehydration, loneliness, depression.

I've always been a people pleaser and I've tried so hard to make others happy. Like you I have deep resentments and anger about having a mom that is completely opposite in thinking, temperament and personality to me.

I hope these articles might help:

https://toxicties.com/difficult-parents-strategies/

http://www.marksichel.com/Forgiveness10StepsToLettingGoOfResentment.en.html
(2)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter